DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Thursday, February 14, 2008
TIGERS SPRING PREVIEW
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Promptly addressing the biggest unresolved issue of the Tigers' off-season, manager Jim Leyland said Thursday there's a "strong possibility" Brandon Inge still will get traded.

But Leyland is not going to let it become a matter that detracts from or undermines the preparation of his team for the 2008 season.

Leyland arrived at spring training Thursday, acknowledging as he always does "that it was tough to leave home. I wasn't ready to leave. But it's time to go to work. I know what the task is ahead of us."

Upon arriving in Lakeland in advance of Friday's first workout for pitchers and catchers, Leyland met with his coaching staff in his office at Marchant Stadium to map out the message of the spring.

"You want to make sure you set the right tone," he said. "No shortcuts. I think it's good when the expectations are high because it means you have a good team, which we do. But that's only on paper.

"The rest is for us to execute, go out and get in the right frame of mind, and prepare for the long haul."

But will the long haul include Inge, who lost his starting job at third base to Miguel Cabrera and will be used in a utility role if the Tigers can't find a taker for him?

"Most people are thinking it's pretty cut and dried with the team," Leyland said, "but it's going to be huge how the bullpen fills out. We also have to see how the Inge thing plays out.

"We're going to talk about that when he gets here. He and I are going to call the media into my office and discuss one time, tell you everything, then not talk about it for the rest of the spring.

"That way he won't be aggravated every day by someone at his locker wanting to talk about it. He won't talk about it after the one time and I won't, either.

"I think it's a strong possibility (Inge will get traded)," added Leyland, "but I want to wait for him to be here when I discuss it. That's only fair to him. But until something happens he's on the ballclub."

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:07 pm

pray for a relief pitcher in return for Babe Ruth...I mean Inge!

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:11 pm

LMAO Be nice to Brandon! He's had a bad winter No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:58 am

hope he's doing at least okay down there. Better than freezing your t*ts off up here....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:32 am

Quote :
"We're going to talk about that when he gets
here. He and I are going to call the media into my office and discuss
one time, tell you everything,
then not talk about it for the rest of
the spring.

He is going to be part of a media meeting today, Fri (2/15/08). Could be interesting.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:12 am

cross fingers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 am

Keep B. Inge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland: 'Strong possibility' Inge still will get traded   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1