DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Monday, August 4, 2008
Rays 6, Tigers 5, 10 innings
Leyland's rage becomes silence after Tigers' loss
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- It was Jim Leyland's day for rage Sunday no more than it was a day when the entire Tigers galaxy threatened to explode with ire.

And when it all ended Sunday -- a 6-5 loss to Tampa Bay bracketed by verbal fire from a manager who had seen enough even before Sunday's torture-rack of a defeat -- one question protruded from the wreckage that was the Tigers clubhouse:

What players will no longer be in Detroit uniforms Tuesday when the Tigers meet the Chicago White Sox for a three-game series at U.S. Cellular Field?

Best guess for a quick exit: reliever Fernando Rodney.

Rodney was the most sadistic participant Sunday in a horrific bullpen crime spree that turned a splendid starting pitching performance by Armando Galarraga and three gallant late-inning home runs by the Tigers into a 6-5 defeat to the Rays, who swept Detroit in their three-game set and sent the Tigers plummeting to their fourth consecutive loss.

"You guys saw it," Leyland seethed, stabbing at a plate of salad and beef in his office inside Tropicana Field afterward. "Write what you want."

He said not another word.

It was six hours after Leyland had seemingly done his venting. He talked before the game about being "shocked" and "embarrassed" by the Tigers' sickly season, which has seen a supposed World Series nominee descend again beneath the .500 mark at 55-56.

"From the start of the season to this point has been more than disappointing -- I've been shocked by our performance," Leyland said during his pregame media briefing. "We've got too many guys not producing. And I'm not talking about one or two guys. But we've had some performances that have been terrible. I've been disgusted the last few nights. The last few weeks, we had situations where we should have dominated a game and we didn't come close.

"You've got to step it up if you want to be in the hunt. If not, go home and come back next spring training. I'll bring up some kids to play.

"If you don't want to grind it out, then start your vacation early.

"We should be embarrassed," Leyland said. "And I'm not sure enough people are."

And that was before Sunday's storyline, straight from Edgar Allan Poe, was woven at Tropicana Field, ending in a defeat that was hard to fathom even by this season's grisly standards.

The facts were these:

Galarraga entered the seventh inning working on a one-hitter and a 2-0 lead. Ten days after he pitched six innings of perfect baseball at Kansas City, Galarraga had allowed only an infield single to Evan Longoria, and only because Longoria beat out a routine grounder to Carlos Guillen at third in the second inning.

The high-flying Rays (first place, American League East) managed three hits off Galarraga in the seventh to cut Detroit's lead to 2-1.

And then the drama began.

Gary Sheffield torched a home run into the left-center field bleachers in the top of the eighth to give the Tigers a 3-1 lead as new reliever Kyle Farnsworth came on to pitch the bottom half of the inning.

Farnsworth immediately gave up a home run to Eric Hinske, a one-out single, and a long home run by B.J. Upton that instantly put Tampa Bay on top, 4-3.

But the Tigers, who had been raked by Leyland before the game for not producing, took a different tack Sunday. They performed mightily in the late innings.

Curtis Granderson stepped to the plate to lead off the ninth against Rays closer Troy Percival and swatted the former Tiger's first pitch into the right-center field seats to tie the game, 4-4.

Bobby Seay, the best of Detroit's relievers the past six weeks, pitched a perfect ninth, leaving it to Miguel Cabrera to give the Tigers their second lead in three innings when he rocketed a Percival pitch so high and so far it hit the catwalk in deep left field. The ball tumbled to Tropicana's playing field but was ruled an obvious home run by umpires who saw Sunday's blast clearly, compared with a similar blow Thursday by Cabrera that was ruled a triple.

The Tigers were ahead, 5-4. On came the Rays for the 10th. And when Rays manager Joe Maddon pinch-hit switch-hitting Willy Aybar for Gabe Gross, Leyland opted for Rodney over Seay, a left-hander, against Aybar, who is a weaker hitter from the left side than from the right.

Now, the game turned gruesome.

Rodney nearly hit Aybar twice with pitches before walking him. Jason Bartlett followed and tried to bunt Aybar to second. But the ball Bartlett attempted to bunt, although it touched the bat, smashed into Bartlett's right index finger for a strike call. Bartlett had to leave the game because of the contusion, which brought on pinch-hitter Shawn Riggins.

Rodney's first pitch to Riggins was a 97-mph fastball that slammed into Riggins' right pectoral muscle. Riggins lay and sat on the ground for two minutes before being able to walk to first base.

Akinori Iwamura followed with a sacrifice bunt that pushed ahead the hitters. Rodney promptly walked Upton to load the bases, after which Carl Crawford singled to left to score Aybar and tie the game, 5-5. Rodney then struck out Evan Longoria for the inning's second out.

But on a 3-2 pitch to ex-Tiger Carlos Pena, Rodney walked Pena for the winning run.

Five minutes later, Leyland sat in his office, smoke all but rolling from his uniform. The changes he threatened to make before Sunday's game are all but certainties now.

And one pitcher, among others on the Tigers' current roster, looks as if his time might have run out in Detroit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:54 am

08/06/2008 2:36 AM ET

Box >

Tigers can't cling to lead in extras
Polanco homers twice; Zumaya allows game-winner in 14th
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- A game that took just under five hours ended on a 98-mph fastball that seemingly went out just as fast. The end result, however, was a lesson brought home again and again over the course of the Tigers' 14-inning, 10-8 loss to the White Sox on Tuesday night, if not the past several days.

Finishing a game is tougher than simply getting an out.

"I think everybody in the bullpen is finding out how tough Todd Jones' job was. That's what I think," manager Jim Leyland said after Nick Swisher's three-run home run sent the Tigers to their fifth straight defeat after holding leads of 6-1 and 8-6. "It's a tough job. Everybody thinks they can get the 27th out. It's a little tougher than people think.

"It was a heck of a battle. But if you can't hold one-run, two-run leads late -- I'm talking about anybody -- you're not going to win the game."

The Tigers lost for the ninth time this season when leading after the seventh inning, but they lasted seven more innings before this loss unfolded. They've won two games over the past month lasting 13 innings or more, essentially outlasting the other team's pitching staff. This time, they had to feel how it felt on the short end of a long battle in which they had their chances to win.

"When you need three outs to win the game [and lose it], it's tough luck," said Placido Polanco, whose second home run of the night pulled the Tigers ahead in the 14th. "What can you do? We're all professionals here. Turn the page."

The first lead was early and big. Detroit batted around in a four-run fifth inning to build a five-run lead, fueled in part from Curtis Granderson's two-run homer and one of four Ryan Raburn singles on the night.

Bolstered with a five-run lead and an early exit from Tigers killer Gavin Floyd, Detroit gave back one run in the bottom of the inning on a Carlos Quentin RBI single. Two batters and six pitches into the bottom of the sixth, the White Sox were back in it with a Paul Konerko two-run homer.

Quentin struck again in the seventh with his 29th home run of the year, a seventh-inning solo shot off Aquilino Lopez to cut the lead to one. Bobby Seay stranded the potential tying run at second by striking out Jim Thome, then retired the first two batters in the eighth. With Alexei Ramirez batting .354 against left-handed pitching as he entered the night, however, Kyle Farnsworth entered to try to sew it up. Ramirez pounced on a hanging slider and sent it on a line to left to tie the game.

That's where it stayed for the next five innings while the two bullpens went through a battle of attrition, starting with Farnsworth's recovery to hold down the White Sox in the ninth. Fernando Rodney, whose late-inning struggles over the past week had characterized Detroit's bullpen woes, turned in one of his strongest outings of the year with three hitless innings and five strikeouts. His outs -- not only the number, but the efficiency -- gave the bullpen an edge after being summoned so early in the game.

He wouldn't have gotten the win when Polanco homered to pull the Tigers ahead again -- Freddy Dolsi faced the White Sox in the 13th -- but he certainly would've gotten a good share of credit. The Tigers had saved Joel Zumaya to close down a lead in the final inning, whenever that came. Once he took the mound for the bottom of the 14th, he was the Tigers' last reliever available.

"We had all the momentum going for us," Leyland said. "We had Zumaya coming in. Just didn't get it done tonight."

They came tantalizingly close.

Orlando Cabrera's single leading off the bottom of the inning and Quentin's one-out double promptly put the potential tying run in scoring position against Zumaya (0-1). He recovered to induce what should've been a big out to Jermaine Dye, but the ground ball hit off the base of Edgar Renteria's glove and kicked back toward the mound for an error.

"I don't know what happened," Renteria said. "I thought I played the ball perfect. Everything was right. I don't know what happened at the last minute."

He didn't know what happened, but he tried to take the blame.

"I have to make that play," he said. "I lost the game."

Even with the out, though, the White Sox would've still had the tying run on base for the middle of their order. Zumaya, seemingly energized, hit 99 mph on the stadium radar gun on his way to sending down Jim Thome swinging for the second out and keeping the Tigers ahead. After falling behind on Swisher, however, he left a fastball over the plate.

With that, a night that could've changed the Tigers' fortunes ended with familiar struggles.

"You find out it's not that easy," Leyland said, "no matter who's out there."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 am

Bullshit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 am

Suicide

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Perturbed Asshat must be fired!!!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm depressed...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:28 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I'm depressed...

:back_hug:

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:56 pm

08/07/2008 12:26 AM ET

Box >

Tigers overpowered by White Sox
Verlander retires 12 straight after giving up home run
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The Tigers needed a deep outing from Justin Verlander, and they got it. The better pitch selection from Verlander after back-to-back losses was there, too.

Whatever the performance, though, Detroit's most pressing need at this point is a win. The way White Sox starter John Danks was pitching, that wasn't happening. And after Wednesday's 5-1 loss, the Tigers' hopes of making a playoff race out of this stretch run are looking less likely, too.

"I'd never count us out," a flustered Verlander said, "but it's getting down to cutting time."

The Tigers' sixth straight defeat dropped them to 8 1/2 games behind the White Sox in the American League Central with 49 games to play. In the process, Detroit fell three games under .500 for the first time since June 25, a point just before the Tigers finally broke past the break-even mark at the end of June.

As frustrated as Verlander can be with another loss to the White Sox, it's that sense of the season in the balance that seemingly weighed more on his mind as he discussed his third straight defeat. More than resting the bullpen or reversing his own skid, Verlander wanted to be the streak-stopper. He saved the bullpen from some extra work, but there was no victory to save.

In a way, it made the Tigers' previous two losses -- both winnable games -- all the more painful for lost opportunities.

"I get tired of saying we've got to start winning some games. That's just a matter of fact," manager Jim Leyland said. "Whatever the combination, we just haven't done it."

This latest combination was more reminiscent of the Tigers' early-season struggles than anything from them this summer. While Verlander (8-12) retired 21 of 24 batters from the first inning until Chicago tacked on two runs in the eighth, that streak came after Jim Thome's first-inning, three-run homer put Danks and the White Sox in command for the night.

Thome has historically commanded Verlander pitches over the course of the Tigers ace's young career, one reason Verlander entered Wednesday with a 2-7 record against the White Sox and a winless mark at U.S. Cellular Field. No one, in fact, has more homers (six) against Verlander than Thome. Yet for all of Verlander's struggles with Chicago this year, he had held Thome to a lone single in 11 at-bats this year with a different approach.

If not for a Carlos Quentin slide and Jermaine Dye's stride to beat out a potential double-play ball, Verlander might've been able to pitch him aggressively leading off the second inning instead of facing him in a first-inning jam. A Nick Swisher walk and Quentin's single had created trouble with one out, but Verlander jammed Dye into a broken-bat grounder to third. Carlos Guillen fired to second for the trailing runner as the bat came his way, but Polanco's sidestep and throw couldn't beat Dye.

"It was weird to see so many bats flying," Leyland said. "That's either a sign of bad wood or good pitching."

The 0-1 pitch to Thome was one of the few signs of good hitting against Verlander. Instead of pitching Thome inside and trying to get him to pull the ball into the infield shift, Verlander tried to go away from him with runners on base and not risk the hit. Thome went after the pitch and lofted it over the left-field fence as Marcus Thames tried to reach over it.

"Ball was a little bit up, and he hit to the opposite field," Verlander said. "If nobody's on base, you pitch him a little bit different."

It was Chicago's only extra-base hit until Dye's eighth-inning double started a two-out rally that knocked Verlander out of the game and broke it open. In between the first and the eighth, Verlander allowed just four balls in play out of the infield and struck out eight of 21 batters, many on offspeed pitches.

After looking out of sync in his previous two games, Verlander wouldn't allow Thome's homer to change his focus.

"I thought [Verlander] made some strides tonight," Leyland said. "He had good mechanics, threw the ball inside some. ... I thought he pitched a great game. I really did. He showed me a lot tonight."

Problem is, so did Danks, which left the Tigers with very little.

Two singles were all Detroit had to show for the first six innings against Danks (9-4), who retired the side in the opening inning on three straight ground balls to third base and struck out four Tigers in a five-batter span from the second inning to the third. Gary Sheffield's leadoff walk in the fifth was erased on a line-drive double play to third, also involving a broken bat.

"I really thought that tonight was the best I've seen Danks' control," Leyland said. "Not that he hadn't pitched well against us, but his control was outstanding tonight. We had a pretty good right-handed lineup in there tonight, and he handled it pretty darn well."

Not until Magglio Ordonez slashed the gap in left-center field on a seventh-inning double that rolled to the wall did the Tigers had a real threat going. After Miguel Cabrera lined to left for the second out, Sheffield fouled off back-to-back pitches to get into a 1-2 count before driving a fastball to left-center, driving in Ordonez and knocking Danks out of the game.

D.J. Carrasco kept it a single-run rally, but it gave the Tigers hope. After Octavio Dotel retired the side in order in the eighth, however, Dye's two-out double in the bottom of the inning helped start the rally that decided it. Verlander intentionally walked Thome to take on Konerko, but walked him to load the bases. Alexei Ramirez haunted the Tigers again with a two-run single off Aquilino Lopez.

With that, Wednesday's hope was gone. The hope for the season keeps dimming.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 am

Quote :
"I get tired of saying
we've got to start winning some games. That's just a matter of fact,"
manager Jim Leyland said. "Whatever the combination, we just haven't
done it."

No shit! Time for you to go Leyland!

Quote :
With that, Wednesday's hope was gone. The hope for the season keeps dimming.

So dim, it is time to throw the bulb out!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 am

Haven't done it the entire season, starting with Spring Training!
No kidding, next year's ST needs to be a freakin' BOOT CAMP. otherwise we're in for a repeat of this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 am

Thursday, August 7, 2008
White Sox 5, Tigers 1
Thome's homer beats Verlander
Three-run drive gives White Sox early lead, sending Tigers to sixth consecutive defeat.
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

CHICAGO -- This is why the Tigers need to win the games that are within their grasp: because there are too many teasers just beyond it.

Such as the game they lost 5-1 to the White Sox on Wednesday night.

The Tigers never really looked completely out of it, although a two-run single Aquilino Lopez allowed in the eighth certainly didn't help.

The problem is that after Jim Thome hit a three-run home run in the first inning off Justin Verlander, the Tigers never really looked completely in it.

It can't be said that everything went wrong for them. A lot went right, especially the way Verlander pitched between Thome's home run in the first and having to leave with the bases-loaded and two outs in the eighth. By then, Verlander had thrown 130 pitches.

"There wasn't anything left in the tank at that point," manager Jim Leyland said.

John Danks of the Sox simply pitched better. Not longer, but bottom-line better.

And because he did, the Tigers lost their sixth consecutive game when no matter how they lose, the task of getting back in the American League Central race gets more challenging.

That's why Verlander (8-12), standing at his locker clearly perturbed at having to discuss another loss, cut right to the chase.

"I never count us out," he said, "but it's getting down to cutting time. When it comes right down to it, we need to win ballgames."

Falling behind 3-0 in the first, however, was not a step in that direction.

"With guys on base and two outs, I wanted him to go get something as opposed to throwing him in, having him cheat and hit one out," Verlander said of Thome's home run. "It was a hair up and he did what good hitters do."

The mighty Thome went with the pitch, clearing the fence in left, after which Verlander clamped down until he ran out of gas in the eighth.

Verlander left after walking Paul Konerko to load the bases, only to have the Sox get a two-run single from Alexei Ramirez off Lopez.

"Not that we would have gotten to Bobby Jenks, but I would have liked to have seen what happened if we'd kept it 3-1," Leyland said. "That was very important."

The Sox already had done enough damage, already had scored enough runs for Danks, and already were headed for their second victory in two nights over the Tigers, who are now 2-7 with one game remaining of a 10-game trip.

They say they still believe in themselves, though.

"We have a shot," Leyland said, "but we have to start doing something about it. We can't keep letting games like the one in Tampa and the one here (Tuesday night) get away and have a shot. Nobody can.

"You have to nail those games down. Sooner or later, though, you have to do it and we just haven't done it. I get tired of saying we have to start winning some games, but that's just a matter of fact."

Despite allowing five runs, Verlander's start was encouraging. After Thome's home run, he retired 12 in a row and the hit that he gave up to end that streak, a two-out single to left in the fifth to Orlando Cabrera, proved harmless.

The Sox put together a threat in the sixth, at least it had the look of a threat. But the way Verlander handled it took the teeth out of it.

Carlos Quentin led off with a single, after which Verlander hit Jermaine Dye with a pitch. First and second with no outs, however, soon became first and second with three outs.

Thome popped to second. Then Verlander struck out Konerko and Ramirez to end the inning quietly.

For the Tigers, though, all their innings were quiet until the seventh when Magglio Ordonez doubled with one out and Gary Sheffield, who'll not start tonight, singled him in with two outs.

Marcus Thames ended the inning with a ground ball to second, however, dropping him to 1-for-21 on the Tigers' three-city trip.

Such was the extent of the Tigers offense.

Not much. Not enough.

You can reach Tom Gage at tom.gage@detnews.com

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 am

08/07/2008 11:15 PM ET
Box >
Tigers end skid in finale vs. White Sox
Cabrera and Granderson homer to prevent sweep
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Zach Miner can't help what happens in games with the rest of the Tigers rotation, let alone Detroit's bullpen. To listen to his reasoning, he can't totally control the damage he allows, either. All he can control is the way he executes his pitches.

That part worked out well Thursday. For a three-game series that didn't go the way the Tigers had planned, the one starter to hold down the White Sox lineup was the guy who wasn't supposed to be a starter again. With six innings and one earned run allowed from Miner, Detroit had the quality start it needed to salvage a game out of this series and end a six-game losing streak with an 8-3 win at U.S. Cellular Field.

It could've gone better, the series and the 10-game road trip. Considering what could've happened without Miner, it could've been worse.

"They gained one game," Leyland said of the White Sox, now 7 1/2 games up on the Tigers in the American League Central. "That's not the end of the world. This could've been disastrous. I was hoping to come in here and win two out of three. ... I still feel OK. I don't feel great."

Miner isn't feeling giddy, like he has proven anything, but he has every reason to feel good about himself. The Tigers have won four of their last 13 games, but Miner has won two of them. He wasn't supposed to be in this spot, but so far, he's making the most of his chance.

"It's awesome," Miner said. "As excited as I am for the opportunity, I'm just trying to stay calm and pitch my game. It's gone well so far."

Miner has pitched three quality starts in four outings since being called up for the rotation soon after the All-Star break. He was also the only Tigers starter to hold the White Sox lineup at Comerica Park a week and a half ago. Thursday's outing, however, came in a ballpark that plays for power, especially in warm weather.

When Miner was pitching in relief earlier this year, the Tigers struggled to get him to mix his pitches and keep from overthrowing his fastball. This was a good ballpark to show the difference.

Miner (6-4) retired 10 of the 11 batters he faced before the middle of the White Sox order hit him the second time around. Instead of home runs, however, they were back-to-back singles from Jim Thome and Paul Konerko, loading the bases with one out after Miner hit Carlos Quentin with a pitch to start the threat.

"I was just trying not to let them get a big inning," Miner said. "At that point, with the bases loaded, I'm trying to get an out any way I could. If it's a fly ball and they get a run, I was going to be OK. Obviously, it's a big couple of hitters there, but I'm trying not to do too much."

Up came Ken Griffey Jr., and after a heavy dose of changeups, down he went swinging for the second out. Alexei Ramirez, who had haunted the Tigers through two games of the series, fell into an 0-2 hole before laying off two pitches in the dirt. Miner finally finished him off with a fastball inside that sent him swinging and left Miner pumping his fist on his way off the mound.

A couple of fastballs in the next inning finally put the White Sox on the scoreboard with back-to-back doubles from Nick Swisher and Juan Uribe, but Miner retired the top of the Chicago lineup in order from there. Ramon Santiago's two-out throwing error led to another run in the sixth.

It was just the second quality start for the Tigers on this 10-game road trip.

"He's picked us up, obviously, when we needed it," Leyland said.

It's a different scenario and shorter span so far, but similar results to when Miner was a rookie starter two summers ago filling in for injured Mike Maroth. He admits now that he became too caught up in stats after racking up six straight wins, especially once Maroth was trying to come back, and it led to his bump out of the rotation by the end of August. Other than a couple of spot assignments, he hadn't been a starter since then until this summer.

He learned from former teammate Chad Durbin that all he could control was how he prepared.

"I can control how I prepare between starts. I can control my running, my weights and throwing the ball," Miner said. "I really can't control what happens. Guys are going to get hits sometimes, and guys are going to get outs on bad pitches. That's kind of where I am now. I just learned you can't put too much pressure on yourself out there. That's something I was struggling with out of the bullpen."

By the time the White Sox offense picked up, the Tigers had built enough of a lead to take control of the game, thanks in large part to three RBIs from Miguel Cabrera off White Sox starter Javier Vazquez (8-10). Cabrera's lined shot over the left-field fence in the third inning opened the scoring with a two-run homer. After Carlos Guillen tripled in Placido Polanco in the fifth inning, Cabrera drove in Guillen with a two-out single.

A couple of big plays from left fielder Ryan Raburn kept this game from spiraling out of control once Chicago rallied against the Tigers bullpen in the eighth. Quentin's 30th home run of the season drew Chicago closer, then Bobby Seay's four-pitch walk to Thome brought the potential tying run to the plate.

Konerko followed with a double that bounced around the left-field corner, but a decision to send Thome around third backfired when Raburn collected the ball and fired to relay man Santiago in time to easily throw out Thome at the plate. Seay left with a lower back injury after hitting Griffey with a pitch to put the tying run back on base, but Ramirez's liner off Fernando Rodney stayed up long enough for Raburn to charge in and get his glove down for the catch.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 pm

Friday, August 8, 2008
Tigers 8, White Sox 3
Cabrera puts an end to Tigers' losing streak
He homers, has three RBIs; Miner pitches six solid innings as skid ends at six games.

CHICAGO -- All is not magically well that ended well.

Coming home with an 8-3 victory over the White Sox on Thursday night didn't make it a good road trip for the Tigers. But it ended their six-game losing streak and made their flickering hope less hollow of still making a move in the American League Central.

"They gained one game in this series," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of the White Sox. "That's not the end of the world. This could have been disastrous."

In their favor isn't the way the Tigers are hitting although Miguel Cabrera is still knocking in runs at a torrid pace. With a two-run home run and a single in this game, he knocked in three more, giving him 85 RBI for the season.

Cabrera is now on a pace to knock in 120 runs.

Curtis Granderson hit a solo home run, Carlos Guillen tripled in a run and Magglio Ordonez tripled in two.

Also not in the Tigers' favor is the way they are pitching although Justin Verlander deserved better on Wednesday night and Zach Miner got what he deserved Thursday night, his sixth victory of the season.

"He's picked us up when obviously we needed it," said Leyland.

To put it away, however, it took an outstanding throw home in the eighth by Ramon Santiago to nab a sliding, but dreadfully slow Jim Thome; a diving catch, also in the eighth, by Ryan Raburn of a liner to left that would have sliced the Tigers' lead to a run.

And to top it off, a three-run ninth.

"Initially," said Raburn, "I was just going to cut it off and hope for a play at the plate. Then I realized I had a shot at it."

So he took it, and it paid off.

What's finally in the Tigers' potential favor, however, is the schedule. At long last, the team that's played the fewest home games in the A.L, the team that also hasn't been home for more than three days in nearly a month, can actually unpack and stay awhile.

But the Tigers are 56-58. The season is 70 percent over and they are still closer to last than first.

Making a move might not materialize. But whether they make one or not at least will unfold, for the most part, in the next four weeks at home.

"If we're not out going to make a run now," Leyland said, "we probably aren't going to make one. I'd like it down to three games (behind) by Sept 1."

The Tigers are 7 1/2 back now, but were looking at 9 1/2 if they'd lost.

"I was hoping to win two of three," Leyland said, "but I still feel O.K.. I don't feel great, the Sox aren't over there sweating it, but we're still playing.

"The key date for me is Sept. 1. If you can get it down to two, three or four games by then, a lot can happen."

The Tigers need to do at home what they were not able to do on their 3-7 trip, however. They have to string victories together.

Cabrera's bat will help in that regard. He drove in 31 runs in July and has knocked in six in six August games.

Heck, in his last 18 games, he has driven in 28 runs.

His shoulders alone, however, won't be enough for the Tigers to climb back in it.

It will come down to pitching, and probably to whether the Tigers as Leyland says can get it "in sync." That means having everyone in a set role, not having a closer du jour -- nor, for that matter, a fatigued bullpen.

Justin Verlander threw 7 2/3 innings in Wednesday's loss. Miner lasted six innings. The Tigers can live with that.

With this upcoming stretch of home games, however, the question becomes will they do more than live?

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:23 pm

08/08/2008 9:44 PM ET

Box >

Tigers drop opener of important series
Homestand starts with a loss as Rogers can't earn win
By Scott McNeish / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers liked how their lineup looked before Friday's game. They didn't like what it accomplished after.

This season, the Tigers have feasted on left-handed pitching. They own the best record in the Major Leagues against southpaws and faced lefty Dallas Braden in the opener of a crucial 10-game homestand. They also faced a team that had lost 10 straight.

Add Tigers starter Kenny Rogers, who has the second-highest career win total in history against the A's, and all signs pointed toward a solid start to the next 10 days.

But there would be no feast. Only famine.

The Tigers dropped the opener of a three-game set, 4-2, before a sellout crowd of 41,457 fans at Comerica Park. They dropped three games below .500 and 8 1/2 games behind the White Sox in the American League Central.

"We just didn't do anything offensively," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "If you look at that right-handed-hitting lineup we had, you'd have to say it was impressive. There's no excuses for this one."

Braden had the longest outing of his young career. He earned his third win of the season after allowing two runs on five hits in seven innings.

Right-handed hitters entered Friday's game hitting .310 off Braden in his career.

"He pitched well, used his changeup, kept the ball down," Leyland said. "You have to tip your hat to him for his performance. But with that right-handed-hitting lineup, you would think you could get more than two runs off him."

Rogers didn't gain on former Tiger Frank Tanana on the all-time list for victories over Oakland. He still has 21 and trails Tanana by two.

While Leyland pointed to the offense as the cause for the loss, Rogers pointed at himself.

"I didn't pitch well enough to win," said Rogers, who allowed four runs -- three earned -- in seven innings. "I gave up four runs and didn't have the luxury to give up that many. Sometimes all you have to work with is two runs. I need to pitch better."

Marcus Thames opened the scoring with a 433-foot home run into the second tier of bushes beyond the center-field fence to make it 2-0 Tigers. Thames, who tied a team record earlier this season after homering in five straight games, hit his first home run since July 27, a 24-at-bat drought.

He now shares the team lead with Miguel Cabrera and needs five more to tie his career-high set in 2006.

But the Tigers would not score again. In fact, they had no hits after the fifth. A lot of that had to do with Braden.

"If you're going to go out there and give up a home run, and that's going to bother you, you're in the wrong profession," Braden said. "I pitched inside. When you don't throw a million [mph], you've got to be able to hit your spots and just let them know you're going to control that part of the plate."

Reigning AL Player of the Month Cabrera and Magglio Ordonez, who entered Friday's game tied with the Yankees' Johnny Damon for second in AL average, combined for just one hit.

The top of the order -- Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco -- went hitless on the night.

Worse, All-Star third baseman Carlos Guillen came out of the game in the eighth with lower back spasms. He is day-to-day. Guillen described his back as "tight" after the game.

Rogers cruised early, allowing just one hit over four innings, but ran into trouble in the fifth. It started with a bunt single by Carlos Gonzalez that Rogers misplayed. A walk to Kurt Suzuki and Daric Barton's groundball single loaded the bases with no outs.

"I loaded the bases without letting a ball off the grass," Rogers said. "I can't do that."

Oakland's Rajai Davis smacked a first-pitch single to right to plate a pair and tie the game. After Jack Hannahan struck out, Mark Ellis singled through the left side to give Oakland the lead.

"It's all about how many runs you give up, and I gave up too many," Rogers said. "I would have liked to minimize the damage in the fifth, but no matter how you slice it, you have to win with what you're given, and I didn't do that."

The next inning didn't start much better for Rogers. Emil Brown led off the sixth with a tape-measure shot just to the right of the flagpole in left-center field.

Granderson got a one-out walk in the eighth, but the Tigers couldn't capitalize, as pinch-hitter Matt Joyce flied to center to end the inning. Then in the ninth, Ordonez, Cabrera and Gary Sheffield went down in order.

"We were very porous with our offense, and that's why they won the ballgame," Leyland said.

Scott McNeish is an associate reporter for MLB.com This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:21 am

08/09/2008 10:58 PM ET

Box >

Tigers connect for four homers in win
Cabrera goes deep twice, Sheffield hit 490th of his career

DETROIT -- This is the Miguel Cabrera the Tigers expected.

This is the Miguel Cabrera the Tigers traded a bundle of talented prospects for, the one they believed would serve as the cornerstone of Detroit baseball for years to come.

He took time to get acquainted to a new team and a new league, but it's safe to say he's comfortable.

Cabrera's two home runs and four RBIs helped lift the Tigers to a 10-2 victory on Saturday night, before a sellout crowd of 41,308 at Comerica Park. They gained one-half game in the American League Central standings, as the White Sox lost, but the Twins won to take over first place. Detroit trails Minnesota by eight games.

But the Tigers cannot worry about the other teams. They have lot of work to do.

"We need to worry about winning," Cabrera said. "Who knows what will happen."

Cabrera, whom the Tigers acquired in a blockbuster offseason trade with the Marlins, had two of Detroit's four home runs. The others came from Gary Sheffield and Edgar Renteria, two of the Tigers that have struggled the most. Detroit scored seven runs in their final two turns at-bat to bust it open.

More nights like this from Cabrera would help. The Tigers' first baseman now has 89 RBIs on the season. In his last 10 games, he has six home runs and 14 RBIs.

"He's a force," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "He's the Cabrera we traded for, obviously. He's unbelievable."

The offense's power surge backed a sluggish start from Armando Galarraga. But the rookie right-hander did enough to become the first Tigers starter to reach 10 wins. Atlanta's Jair Jurrjens won on Saturday, so Galarraga still trails by one for the rookie wins lead.

"I got the win, that's what's most important," Galarraga said.

The game see-sawed back and forth in the early innings.

In the first, Frank Thomas belted a first-pitch fastball into the Athletics' bullpen beyond the left-center-field fence.

Thomas' solo shot marked his 521st career home run, which ties him for 17th all-time with Hall of Famers Willie McCovey and Ted Williams.

Sheffield answered back. His homer to left, which evaded the glove of a leaping Ryan Sweeney, tied it in the second. For Sheffield, it marked his 490th career homer and 1,609th RBI, which tied him for 28th place on the all-time list with Hall of Famer Goose Goslin.

Renteria gave the Tigers a 2-1 lead with a solo homer to left leading off the third.

"It was good to see him get one," Cabrera said. "He's a good hitter, and he showed it."

The A's tied it in the fourth. Carlos Gonzalez zipped a double past Cabrera and into the right-field corner. Jack Cust followed with an RBI single to center.

Cabrera provided another. He showed off his opposite-field might in the bottom half of the inning with his first homer of the game. It gave Detroit a 3-2 lead, as the teams continued to exchange blows, though neither team could deliver the knockout punch.

That is, until the seventh -- after the Tigers escaped a bases-loaded jam in the previous inning.
Curtis Granderson started it with a single to right. Placido Polanco bunted him over to second, and with one out, Oakland reliever Alan Embree fell behind Magglio Ordonez, 3-0. With first base open, the A's decided to walk him intentionally to get to Cabrera, the reigning AL Player of the Month.

"After he went 3-0, we just wanted to get a fresh count on the next hitter," A's manager Bob Geren said.

Cabrera didn't take it personally.

"That's just part of the game," he said. "A man on second. First base open. It makes sense."

However, Cabrera made them pay immediately. He cranked Embree's first offering deep into the left-field seats to give the Tigers a 6-2 lead. They added four runs in the eighth to tie this three-game series at one apiece.

"We need to play hard and keep winning games," Cabrera said. "If we do that, we'll see what happens at the end."

Scott McNeish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:07 pm

Saturday, August 9, 2008
Tigers 10, A's 2
Cabrera powers Tigers to rout of A's
David Goricki / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Mother Nature put on a show before the Tigers-A's game Saturday night at Comerica Park.

The Tigers -- led by Miguel Cabrera -- then did the damage on the field, using a power display in their 10-2 victory.

The game was pushed back for nearly an hour after a thunderstorm hit the downtown area at approximately 5:30 p.m. The storm featured a hailstorm and a bolt of lightning that hit the top of the scoreboard.

A rainbow developed above the field in the early innings as the Tigers connected for solo home runs in the second (Gary Sheffield), third (Edgar Renteria) and fourth (Cabrera) innings off left-hander Dan Meyer.

The biggest blow of the game came on Cabrera's second blast of the game, a three-run shot off of Alan Embree in the bottom of the seventh for a 6-2 cushion.

"He's just a force," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of Cabrera, who now has 23 homers and 89 RBIs. "He's more relaxed. He can do things most other players can't. The first pitch he sees from Embree he hits out of the ball park and that's hard to do."

Cabrera's three-run shot came after Embree intentionally walked Magglio Ordonez. The Tigers had stranded runners in scoring position in each of the previous four innings to keep the game close.

Since the Fourth of July, Cabrera is hitting .343 (45-for-131) in his last 31 games with 12 home runs and 41 RBIs.

"I feel more comfortable and confident now," Cabrera said. "I know what they're trying to do against me in every at-bat. I just go out and work hard and let things happen."

Rookie right-hander Armando Galarraga earned his team-high 10th win. He worked 5 2/3 innings, giving up two runs on eight hits. He left with the bases-loaded and two outs in the sixth with the Tigers leading 3-2.

Tigers left-handed reliever Bobby Seay replaced Galarraga and retired Daric Barton on a fly out to end the threat. Seay worked a scoreless seventh. Joel Zumaya (eighth) and Kyle Farnsworth (ninth) each worked a scoreless inning.

A's slugger Frank Thomas greeted Galarraga with a home run in the first inning, the slugger's 521st of his career to put him in a tie for 17th place on the all-time homer list with Willie McCovey and Ted Williams.

Sheffield's homer was the 490th of his career.

Nate Robertson will try to help Detroit win the series Sunday afternoon and pull closer to Central Division-leading Twins, who have an eight-game advantage on the Tigers.

You can reach David Goricki at david.goricki@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:09 pm

08/10/2008 5:30 PM ET

Box >

Robertson solid in Tigers' win
Left-hander holds A's to one run to claim series victory

DETROIT -- The Tigers said they needed a good start out of Nate Robertson. They got even better.

Turns out, the left-hander had one of his best performances this season.

The 40,743 at Comerica Park on Sunday sure thought so. They gave him a standing ovation after he allowed just one run over 7 2/3 innings in a 6-1 win over the Athletics on a cloudy Sunday afternoon. The victory gave Detroit the series victory, its first since July 30, and put it 7 1/2 games back of Chicago and seven games back of Minnesota in the American League Central.

"It's important to win every series right now," Robertson said. "We'd like to win all three on this [10-game] homestand, but it's important we got the first one."

With a bullpen full of inconsistency, injuries and pitchers under careful watch, the Tigers needed an outing like this out of Robertson, who earned his first win since June 21. Late movement on his fastball resulted in many easy outs and quick innings.

"He really helped us out. He saved our bullpen," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said. "We've been grasping at straws down there because of the injuries and guys coming back, so we have to get some innings out of our starters. If we can do that, we can mix and match good enough to get by. Today was much needed and Nate rose to the occasion."

Robertson attacked the inside part of the plate with pinpoint command. Seventy of his 104 pitches went for strikes, and he only walked one.

The southpaw attributed his control to bullpen work with pitching coach Chuck Hernandez during the week.

"We worked on getting my arm more free and getting my hands away from my body," Robertson said. "There's quite a bit of a change. It's helped out. It's helped me get my location and command the inside [of the plate]."

New mechanics or not, Robertson had his opponents impressed.

"It seemed like everything was working for him today," A's manager Bob Geren said. "His location was excellent, and he mixed his pitches. He looked like his old self."

Robertson only faced one real threat, which occurred in the fourth.

The Athletics loaded the bases with two out on a walk and two infield hits. Second baseman Placido Polanco rescued Robertson, though. Kurt Suzuki's liner looked like it would get over Polanco's head and up the alley, but the 5-foot-10 Gold Glove winner leaped, stretched and pulled it down.

"That was big," Robertson said. "That was a 0-0 ballgame at the time. They get some runs there, and you never know.

"Usually, it comes down to one big hit. I think that's what it comes down to in most of my starts is one big hit that makes a big inning. I didn't have that. There was the bases loaded, but we got out of it and I got the job done from there."

The Tigers couldn't capitalize on several chances early, but they broke through in the fifth.

Curtis Granderson turned on an inside fastball and hammered it 361 feet into the right-field seats for a 1-0 lead. He has four homers in his past seven games to give him 15 on the season.

Two walks sandwiched around an Edgar Renteria single to center loaded the bases in the sixth. Polanco continued his success against Oakland, as he bounced a single through the right side to score one. With two out, Ordonez zipped a single by a diving Jack Hannahan to plate two more for a 4-0 lead.

Detroit capped the scoring with a bizarre play in the eighth.

Ryan Raburn hit a double toward left fielder Emil Brown to score Polanco. However, Bobby Crosby's throw home went past Suzuki to pitcher Jerry Blevins, who backed up the play. Raburn broke for third and Blevins uncorked a wild throw into left, allowing Raburn to trot home.

Fernando Rodney finished the eighth for Robertson and worked through a Brown double in the ninth to earn his third save.

"We got some timely hits, but it starts with pitching," Leyland said. "Pitching gave us a chance to win."

Scott McNeish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

Monday, August 11, 2008
Tigers 6, A's 1
Batting title race creates some suspense for Tigers
Ordonez, Polanco -- who contribute in the Tigers' victory -- are vying for crown.

DETROIT -- The race is heating up. It is?

They're near the lead, moving up, and could win it. They could?

What the heck did the Tigers do Sunday? Win 12 games?

Not quite, but it was a good day for them. With a fine game from Nate Robertson while handling a struggling team the way they should, the Tigers downed the A's, 6-1, for their second consecutive victory and their third in four games after losing six in a row.

In other words, after listing severely last week, the ship appears to be in the process of righting itself.

But that's not the race in question right now. The Tigers still are a long way out of first.

Magglio Ordonez and Placido Polanco aren't, however.

With Ordonez hitting .318 after his two singles on Sunday, one of which drove in two runs in the sixth -- the inning in which the Tigers put the game a way -- and with Polanco hitting .313 overall, including .339 since April 29, two Tigers are in the thick of the batting title race.

When play ended Sunday, Ordonez was fourth, just three points behind front-running Johnny Damon of the Yankees. Polanco was eighth, eight points back.

Curtis Granderson, who held steady at .301 with a solo home run off losing pitcher Greg Smith (5-11) for the game's first run in the fifth, likes the chances of a teammate winning the title.

Granderson wasn't asked which of the two is more likely because he'd never choose one over another, but as a .300 hitter himself, he was an objective judge about how the two contenders are doing.

Keep in mind that Granderson doesn't think he's been swinging particularly well, so he's familiar with the fine line between warm and hot.

And it's going to take more than warmth for the batting title to be won.

"I'd say for both our guys, I've yet to see them get hot," Granderson said. "They'll get their two hits here, their three hits there, but I haven't seen them do what I've seen them do over the past two years."

The best is yet to come, in other words?

He believes it is.

"They still have a hot streak in them," Granderson said. "If they can get that going, and finish strong, they both have a shot. It would be fun to see it come down to the two of them."

Which it might.

At the same time, though, the Tigers hope the division comes down to the three of them, but to do that -- to make it a contending threesome with the White Sox and Twins -- they'll have to pitch many more games as well they pitched Sunday.

That's another way of saying that any time Robertson leaves a game with two outs in the eighth inning, instead of in the fifth or sixth, it's an encouraging sign.

Winning for the first time since June 21 after a stretch of eight starts in which he went 0-2 with six no-decisions, Robertson took what would have been his first career shutout into the eighth. A run-scoring single by Mark Ellis ended the bid and brought about a pitching change.

Even so, with a better slider and a fastball that manager Jim Leyland said "had more late life to it," Robertson pitched an outstanding game.

Plus the one big threat that tested him, bases loaded in the fourth when the game still was scoreless, went his way when a leaping Polanco was able to snag Kurt Suzuki's liner that had two-run single written all over it.

"What it comes down to in a lot of my starts," said Robertson, "is that you can't give up a big inning. I've allowed some critical hits.

"That can be a tricky ball to track because of the spin on it. If they get a couple of runs there, you never know."

But they didn't, and it was the Tigers instead who soon took the lead an inning later.

They only had seven hits themselves, but 10 walks helped immensely -- and besides, Ordonez got the timely two-run single that Suzuki didn't.

Then again, Ordonez singled in both the fifth and the sixth -- a sign he's getting hot?

Granderson, for one, wouldn't be at all surprised.

You can reach Tom Gage at tom. gage@detnews.com

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:00 pm

08/11/2008 9:42 PM ET

Box >

Verlander avoids big hits, but not loss
High pitch counts in past take toll on Tigers right-hander
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- This game didn't leave Tigers manager Jim Leyland blindsided, flabbergasted or caught off guard.

Instead, after Justin Verlander's fourth consecutive defeat sent Detroit on its way to a 7-2 loss to Toronto on Monday night at Comerica Park, Leyland's term was "blah."

It didn't describe the effort. To Leyland, it described Verlander's arm.

"Tonight was self-explanatory," Leyland said. "This was just the blahs from [Verlander's] last outing -- 130 pitches. No doubt in my mind. It was kind of a dead-arm night for him, certainly related to the 130-pitch night in Chicago for him."

Verlander felt well enough to throw that many pitches on Wednesday against the White Sox, and with the bullpen spent from a 14-inning game the previous night, he pretty much had to go deep. Longer-term, he had tossed at least 110 pitches in his past three starts, and only CC Sabathia had thrown more pitches among Major Leaguers this season.

Monday's outing lasted just 78 pitches before Leyland made the move to go to the bullpen with one out in the fifth inning. Verlander's previous low pitch count this season was 97, and that was on Opening Day.

Leyland had seen enough early to know it wasn't happening on this night for his 25-year-old ace. Verlander had hitters in two-strike counts, but he didn't have enough to finish them off.

"I felt a little fatigued, but I don't want to make excuses," Verlander said. "I still have to go out there and pitch. I felt like I tried to create a little bit, and that's when my ball got up in the zone. Store that in the memory bank and know that if it's not there, just continue to go along, throw quality strikes and let those guys get themselves out instead of trying to create."

It was a blah night in what is becoming a blah season for Verlander. And that has certainly been befuddling for the Tigers.

Verlander (8-13) has now lost each of his past four starts, giving up 24 runs on 27 hits over 21 2/3 innings in the skid, including six runs on seven hits over 4 1/3 innings on Monday. He had a four-game losing streak earlier this year, but he had never given up more than 19 earned runs over a four-game stretch.

It wasn't a big home run that proved his downfall, as in his past few starts; John McDonald's fifth-inning double was the only extra-base tally off of him. Instead, the Jays just didn't let up on their barrage of singles and sacrifice flies.

Verlander said he felt fine in his between-starts work and felt good in a nine-pitch first inning that included two strikeouts. Once Blue Jays starter Shaun Marcum stranded two runners in the bottom of the inning, however, Verlander felt the difference. Leyland saw it. When his fastball, normally in the mid-90s, was spotted around 93 mph, the Blue Jays waited for it.

"You could just tell watching him," Leyland said. "He wasn't finishing real good. The arm wasn't finishing, extending real good. He just didn't throw the ball very good tonight."

Leadoff runners troubled Verlander all evening. Three straight second-inning singles set up Rod Barajas' RBI hit and Adam Lind's sacrifice fly to open the scoring. Two innings later, an Alex Rios leadoff walk and back-to-back singles from Vernon Wells and Matt Stairs fueled another two-run rally, after Brandon Inge's solo homer had halved Detroit's deficit.

Once Rios singled in McDonald in the fifth, that was enough.

"Justin Verlander's fine," Leyland said. "He paid the price for a 130-pitch outing."

The way Marcum (7-5) pitched, the Tigers paid their part of the tab, too. Inge hit his 10th home run of the year, and Miguel Cabrera launched a 425-foot solo homer into the shrubbery beyond center field leading off the sixth. But that was it for the Tigers; they went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.

With that, Detroit fell to 9-16 in games Verlander starts. Add in the Tigers' 11-13 record in games started by Kenny Rogers and Nate Robertson, and they're 11 games under .500 with their veteran hurlers on the hill -- a major reason Detroit is looking at an uphill battle for the playoffs.

"Even if you are looking at it one game at a time, you still know that there's a window of opportunity," Inge said. "And every game you lose, it closes a little more. That's just a fact of the matter."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:16 am

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Blue Jays 7, Tigers 2
Tigers lose but Cabrera continues to shine
Star slugger, who hit his 24th homer, has been more a joy to watch than the team.

DETROIT -- Miguel Cabrera is more of a joy to watch right now than his team. That's for darn sure.

In fact, he's become everything and more the Tigers could have envisioned.

More on him in a bit, though.

Still hoping to become the third team in what continues to be a two-team divisional chase, the Tigers went about it the wrong way again Monday night by losing, 7-2, to the Toronto Blue Jays.

Proving that even at age 25 there's a toll to be paid for throwing 130 pitches -- the number he threw in his last time out -- Justin Verlander didn't make it past the fifth inning this time while losing his fourth consecutive start.

"He just didn't have it, kind of a dead-arm night for him," manager Jim Leyland said. "That's why I got him out of there early with a reasonable pitch count.

"But when you could tell he wasn't right, everybody kind of got the blahs."

Verlander admitted to feeling a little fatigued but doesn't want that to be taken as an indication he can't throw 130 pitches and be strong the next time.

"I don't want skip to think that I can't do that anymore because of this result," he said. "I feel I'm perfectly capable of throwing 130 pitches, and coming back to be successful in the next start as well."

Meanwhile, treading water won't get the Tigers anywhere so it's not surprising that splitting the four games of their current homestand hasn't made them look like any kind of contender.

Now back to Cabrera, because by himself, he's worth the time and money a crowd of 39,718 invested in watching this game -- one in which the Tigers trailed from the second inning on.

The features attraction this time was a scorched home run to center.

Next time it might be a laser to left, like the homer he hit in Chicago, which Brandon Inge said was "more amazing" than this one.

"That one in Chicago was the fastest home run I've ever seen hit," Inge said.

"You just shake your head at the stuff he does night after night," Leyland said. "It's pretty hard to hit a line drive 440 feet."

Consider, though, the one-man wrecking crew Cabrera has become in the last 54 games, the same as a third of a season. Including Monday night's no-doubter, Cabrera has hit 16 home runs with 54 RBI and a .329 batting average since his so-so start could officially be declared over.

"I've seen him take rips when he's fouled the ball back or swung and missed," said Inge, "and I've thought 'I wish he'd gotten that one.' What I'm saying is that I think he's got even more than what we've seen."

It took Cabrera two months, maybe a bit more, to get fully acclimated to his new team, new surroundings and to possibly realize he didn't have to live up to expectations with every swing.

On June 9, he was hitting .270 with eight home runs and 36 RBI, far from spectacular. Since then, however, he's been precisely that spectacular.

He's adjusted to his new position at first base and is playing it well. Replacing the frowns of frustration he wore earlier, he's happy with the way his season has picked up, but in a quietly confident way that indicates he knew it would.

What he'd like to be doing, of course, is what all the Tigers would like to be doing -- winning more ball games.

The Tigers are 31-23 during the stretch in which Cabrera has pounded the ball.

Had they played that caliber of ball all season, the Tigers would not be in the predicament of needing to make a move that, through this newest loss, been slow to materialize.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:10 am

08/13/2008 1:20 AM ET

Box >

Zumaya struggles in loss to Jays
Tigers reliever allows two runs on two hits, three walks
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Ever since Joel Zumaya underwent shoulder surgery last fall, games like this were the motivation for working his way back. Now that he's back in those games again, his health is back in question.

Tuesday was the kind of game Zumaya enters to shut down, but it ended with Zumaya possibly shut down for the time being. The triple-digit fastball that Zumaya boasts had neither the same speed nor command, though Zumaya topped out around 97 mph. The breaking ball that Zumaya could drop on hitters for strikes as they geared up for fastballs wasn't drawing those swings.

As a result, that third out was all too elusive. The Tigers had a two-run lead with two outs in the seventh inning with the middle of the Blue Jays order coming up. All five batters he faced reached base safely, fueling a four-run rally in a 6-4 Detroit loss and fueling the speculation that something is wrong with Zumaya.

"We're very suspicious that he's not right," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "I mean, enough's enough. It's not his fault. We're just getting him checked out for precautionary measures.

"I know he's not right. I don't know if he's hurt, but he's definitely not right. I know that for a fact."

It's a difficult admission for a team that had been hoping for Zumaya to be a late-inning presence for the stretch run. Whether or not he's hurt -- and a team doctor examined Zumaya after the game to try to determine that -- he doesn't appear to be back, not the Zumaya that was the consistent late-inning force two years ago and part of last season.

"We'll have to wait and take the advice of the medical people," Leyland said. "His demeanor and everything, he doesn't look right. Something's not right, the way he's carrying himself."

Earlier this year, Leyland had cautioned that it could be next year before Zumaya's truly back to his old form. Still, his performance upon his return in June, especially with his fastball velocity, raised hopes. Tuesday was one of those nights where the Tigers' hopes were dashed.

Zach Miner held Toronto to a lone run on five hits over six innings, but a generally innocuous at-bat against ninth hitter John McDonald might've cost him a chance to go out for the seventh. The former Tiger worked Miner for a 12-pitch at-bat in the fifth inning that culminated in a one-out walk. Miner got out of the fifth in five more pitches and retired the side in order in the sixth, but ended up topping the 100-pitch mark in the process.

"The one at-bat to McDonald probably cost me a whole inning," Miner said afterwards. "I threw the whole bag at him. I had nothing for him that at-bat."

Miner was done in the sixth with the score tied before Magglio Ordonez's go-ahead solo shot and Gary Sheffield's second home run of the night put Detroit in command in the bottom of the inning. Back-to-back doubles tacked on another run for a 4-1 lead, but Brandon Inge was caught stealing third for the final out on an apparent mix-up.

"Brandon thought he saw something," Leyland said, "but we didn't have anything on, obviously. You don't steal third with a left-handed hitter and two outs and you've got a little something going."

Still, it left a three-run lead for Detroit's bullpen to protect with the bottom of the Blue Jays order coming up. Adam Lind, whose tape-measure solo homer comprised the lone run off Miner, started the rally with a leadoff single off Bobby Seay before McDonald capped a 10-pitch at-bat by doubling him over to third.

Because Seay fell behind on McDonald, he had to go with fastballs once he was down on a 2-0 count.

"He battled," Seay said. "Bottom line, I just couldn't make a pitch to him. He was lunging on fastballs by the eighth or ninth one I threw him."

Joe Inglett's ensuing groundout plated Lind before Leyland went to Zumaya to try to finish off the side. Marco Scutaro greeted him by hitting a fastball back through the middle for an RBI single. Zumaya put Alex Rios in a 1-2 count before missing with back-to-back breaking balls and then a fastball for a walk.

"He just doesn't have a good feel for the breaking ball," Leyland said.

After a first-pitch ball to Vernon Wells prompted a mound visit from pitching coach Chuck Hernandez, Wells lined the next pitch into the gap in left-center field to plate both runners and put Toronto ahead for the first time all game.

Zumaya (0-2) left after an intentional pass to Matt Stairs and an unintentional four-pitch walk to Rod Barajas. Kyle Farnsworth entered to retire Lind, but the Blue Jays had the lead for their bullpen to protect. Lind's RBI single in the ninth off Freddy Dolsi added an insurance run.

The loss was the Tigers' 12th this season when leading after six innings. The stat Leyland pointed out was save situations, in which the Tigers are now 24-for-44.

"We have to shut that down," Leyland said.

If Zumaya has to be shut down, however, the concern would be considerably greater. Even if Zumaya is fine, Leyland said, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:12 am

My guess is Zumaya is finished for the season. He did not have enough time to heal after that major surgery!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:18 am

08/14/2008 1:20 AM ET

Box >

Tigers' ninth-inning rally falls short
Rogers surrenders grand slam as Detroit drops third straight

DETROIT -- A white dry erase board in the Tigers' clubhouse depicted a famous quote in black marker from Hall of Fame football coach Vince Lambardi.

"It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether you get back up," it reads.

How fitting.

It wraps up the Tigers' season in a cozy nutshell. They tripped Opening Day and have never fully regained their balance, instead just wobbling above and below the .500 mark.

It also summarized their most recent loss. They fell behind early and couldn't complete the comeback. The Tigers' postseason hopes continued to fade with a 4-3 loss to the Blue Jays on Wednesday night before 30,073 fans at Comerica Park. They trail the White Sox by 9 1/2 games in the American League Central.

If this really is a now-or-never situation, the Tigers have swayed a little more towards never with four games left on this homestand.

"I want to emphasize that effort is not a problem, but it's easy to have a letdown sometimes when it looks like you're slipping away a little bit," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "It's easy to get caught up in that if you're not careful."

Those in attendance had little reason to cheer until the ninth.

Down 4-0, the Tigers used a walk and a single to put runners at the corners with no outs. Miguel Cabrera's groundout to third cut the deficit to three. Jays center fielder Alex Rios dropped Matt Joyce's fly ball to center, putting runners on second and third. Edgar Renteria's two-out double to right-center off hard-throwing reliever Brandon League to make it 4-3.

But League struck out Brandon Inge looking to hand Detroit its third straight defeat.

"We're playing just good enough to get beat," Leyland said. "That's not good at all. You got to do the things it takes to win, and obviously, we're falling a little short right now."

Detroit managed just two hits against Jays rookie starter David Purcey, who came into the game with an ERA over seven and a road ERA over 14. The young left-hander went six innings, allowing no runs and struck out four.

"He's in the Major Leagues for a reason," Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson said. "He's going to make adjustments and not always pitch how he has in the past. That's why he's up here."

Purcey fanned Magglio Ordonez and Cabrera in the first inning and didn't cool off until rain delayed the game 49 minutes in the seventh inning. Purcey didn't allow a hit until Ramon Santiago lined a single just over the head of Jays second baseman David Eckstein with two down in the fifth.

Detroit's only other hit off Purcey came in the sixth on a single to center by Ordonez, who raised his average to .319. But Cabrera followed with a double-play grounder to end the inning.

Tigers starter Kenny Rogers didn't have a bad outing; he just had some bad luck and made one bad pitch during his 6 1/3 innings of four-run ball.

Jays leadoff man Marco Scutaro started the third with a five-pitch walk. Eckstein, the 2006 World Series MVP for the Cardinals when they faced the Tigers, hustled for a bunt single, though television replays showed Cabrera applied a tag at first. Nonetheless, it led to the most unfortunate bounce of the game.

Rios hit a routine ground ball to third baseman Santiago, who started in place of the injured Carlos Guillen. As Santiago prepared to vacuum it off the dirt, the ball took an awkward skip and nearly hit Santiago in the face, turning a potential double play into a bases-loaded, no-out situation for the Jays with cleanup man Vernon Wells up next.

Wells crushed Rogers' first pitch into the Detroit bullpen in left for a 4-0 lead.

"Nobody really made a mistake in that inning," Rogers said. "I would get the pitch to Vernon down a hair, but that's about it. Things just aren't going our way right now."

That one swing proved enough to knock the Tigers to their 13th loss in their last 21 games.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:38 am

Thursday, August 14, 2008
Blue Jays 4, Tigers 3
Tigers make only late noise
Wells provides Toronto's offense with grand slam, but Detroit manages just four hits.
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- It began with one of those leadoff walks that the Comerica Park crowd, if not Kenny Rogers, seemed to know was going to bite them. Next was a bunt single that might not have been a single, and then a bad-hop grounder to third to load the bases on what should have been a double-play ball.

One fat pitch later and it was all over Wednesday for the Tigers against Toronto at Comerica Park as the Blue Jays dusted them off for the third consecutive night, 4-3.

Vernon Wells' grand slam home run, a drive into the left-field bullpen, was all the bashing necessary to put away a Tigers team that, until a ninth-inning outburst, seemed to have missed its energy drinks in dropping to 58-62.

"A little bunt, a bad hop -- kind of a freak inning," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, analyzing Toronto's four-run third. "It was a weird outing for Kenny, because he pitched well."

The Tigers were down, 4-0, and looking certifiably dead until they shook things up in the ninth, beginning with Placido Polanco's leadoff single. Magglio Ordonez followed with his second single of the night, after which Miguel Cabrera knocked in Polanco on a ground-out to third.

Matt Joyce came on to bat for Gary Sheffield (ejected in the seventh inning for tossing his bat on a called third strike) and slammed a drive to deep right-center field that Wells appeared to have caught 415 feet away -- until he dropped the ball for a two-base error that sent Ordonez scurrying to third.

Ryan Raburn struck out, but Edgar Renteria ripped a two-run double up the right-center gap to make it 4-3. With Renteria planted at second and a base hit from scoring the tying run, Brandon Inge took a called third strike from Brandon League to finish off a game that nearly took a second dramatic turn.

In the end, it was the bad-hop grounder by Alex Rios that set things up for Wells. Ramon Santiago, who was playing third base in place of Carlos Guillen (out with a sore back), was an instant from turning a likely double play until Rios' two-hopper bounced, golf-ball style, off the clay and into left field.

"It almost hit me in the mouth," Santiago said. "It was a double-play ball right away."

Santiago agreed with Leyland that Comerica Park's infield has been giving up some weird bounces of late. No excuses, said Leyland, and no blame on the ground crew. But several ground balls of late have taken fluky turns.

"Right in that one spot," Leyland said. "There's been a little problem there lately. I don't understand it. I don't know if it gets hard there, or what. But it looked like a double-play ball and turned into a bad-hop single."

Still, an earlier uprising might have been expected against the Blue Jays. They started left-hander David Purcey, who entered the night with a 1-3 record and a 7.40 earned-run average. He departed with much healthier numbers, thanks to the Tigers, who managed only a couple of singles against him in six innings.

"The way he pitched tonight, he was tough," Leyland said. "Effectively wild. Very talented. A good pitcher."

Purcey, as well as Rogers, were both excused following a 49-minute rain delay that began with one out in the Blue Jays' half of the seventh.

Rogers deserved a better deal. He allowed seven hits in 6 1/3 innings, two of them infield singles (including David Eckstein's bunt) in Toronto's quick-strike third inning. He walked three and struck out two.

Rogers was relieved by Francis Beltran, the right-hander who was brought in Wednesday from Triple-A Toledo as a roster replacement for Joel Zumaya, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of torn scar tissue in his right shoulder.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:00 pm

08/14/2008 6:30 PM ET

Box >

Five-run eighth rallies Tigers past Jays
Galarraga tosses eight dominant innings for 11th victory

DETROIT -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland wanted to calm his team before things got out of control.

The skipper talked to his team before Thursday afternoon's 5-1 win over the Blue Jays at Comerica Park. He talked about having fun. He spoke about not watching the chance at a division title slip away. He preached playing hard and doing what it takes to win.

Not a rah-rah speech by any means. But he made sure his team didn't stare in a daze as its lofty hopes for this season faded into oblivion.

"I just wanted to make sure we didn't get lulled to sleep with the division slipping away a little bit," Leyland said. "You can always come here dedicated to playing as hard as you can, and I kind of laid that our there for them.

"You can't sit there and tell them, 'Hey, we're going to win this thing.' I'm not, obviously, saying we can't, but sometimes expectations are so high and everything, and see stuff slipping away, you don't quite grind the way you probably need to grind. I just wanted to remind them of that. They did a great job [Thursday], and I know they will the rest of the season."

The pregame chat worked for one day.

This week the Tigers, as their manager put it, did just enough to lose games. It looked like it would happen again Thursday. But in the end, they did enough to win.

Rookie sensation Armando Galarraga pitched eight innings of one-run ball to tie the Major League lead for rookie wins. The offense backed him with a five-run eighth to help the Tigers avoid a four-game sweep.

"Get the win. Nothing else matters right now," Miguel Cabrera said.

The Tigers looked like they would end this four-game series without even a whimper -- until the eighth.

Placido Polanco got things rolling with a one-out walk and then moved to second on a wild pitch by Jays reliever Jason Frasor, putting the tying run in scoring position with two outs. Cabrera came through with a single to left, his 92nd RBI of the season, to tie it.

After Gary Sheffield was intentionally walked, Matt Joyce walked to load the bases for Edgar Renteria. The Tigers shortstop laced a double to left-center to score Cabrera and Sheffield, and the 41,259 on-hand roared.

"That's the Edgar Renteria I've known for all these years," Leyland said.

The Jays brought in pitcher Shawn Camp to quell the rally, but Brandon Inge greeted him with a two-run single to left, giving the Tigers a 5-1 lead.

All five runs came with two outs.

"Two-out runs are devastating to the other team," said Inge, who started at third base. "At the same time, it's good to see us come from behind. For whatever reason, it hasn't been happening. It's not for a lack of effort, though. But we got it done. It's a good feeling."

Fernando Rodney worked a 1-2-3 ninth to give the Tigers just their fourth win in their past 11 games.

With his victory, Galarraga tied Atlanta's rookie right-hander Jair Jurrjens with 11 wins this season. Galarraga attacked the strike zone with his sinker and slider, while using a changeup in which he has steadily grown more confident. He allowed only six hits in his eight frames, striking out six and walking two.

"I wanted to keep the game tight and not give up a lot of runs," Galarraga said. "When we started scoring the five runs, I was real happy. That's what everyone was looking for."

Galarraga threw a season-high 121 pitches, but he said he would not need extra rest.

"No rest. I'm ready to go," he said.

The calm, burly right-hander allowed only two hits and one walk through the first four frames, striking out four.

In the fifth inning, Lyle Overbay drilled a Galarraga first-pitch fastball high and deep to right for a 1-0 Jays lead.

Galarraga faced his stiffest test in the top of the eighth. Still trailing, 1-0, Galarraga surrendered a one-out triple to Alex Rios. Leyland pulled his infield in, and Galarraga knew he needed a Vernon Wells ground ball to give his team a chance.

Leyland faced a tough decision: bring in a reliever or stay with Galarraga, who at that point had thrown more than 100 pitches.

"I felt like he deserved to be out there," Leyland said. "It was a tough call, but like I said, he deserved it and he got the ground ball."

Renteria made a diving stop, checked the runner at third and tossed to first for the second out of the inning. Matt Stairs grounded to second to end the threat and set the stage for Detroit to claim a much-needed win.

"We played hard and played the game right," Renteria said. "We did what we needed to do."

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 am

Friday, August 15, 2008
Tigers 5, Blue Jays 1
Tigers avoid sweep thanks to five-run eighth
They heed Leyland's words, grind out victory for Galarraga, who goes eight strong innings.

DETROIT -- Some are going to call it the ol' "we're out of it, just try hard the rest of the way" speech.

That's not what it was, however, because that's not how it was meant.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland spoke briefly to his team before it displayed renewed grit Thursday by scoring five runs in the eighth inning to beat the Toronto Blue Jays 5-1 -- averting a four-game sweep in the process

Do yourself a favor, though. Leave the calculator where it is.

The Tigers aren't suddenly a factor again by virtue of one victory. You needn't crunch the numbers to see what it will take, either. It will take many more games like this. And even many more might not be enough.

This isn't about creeping closer as much as it's about making sure the season doesn't fall completely apart which, in turn, would probably anger the big and potentially vocal crowds the Tigers are still guaranteed of drawing.

If Leyland's reminder to play hard and have some fun relaxes the Tigers enough for them to climb within striking distance, so be it. But this was not a directive for them to win games. It was not a move to turn up the pressure in any way. It was an attempt to reduce it instead.

The outcome might or might not have been an immediate byproduct. Armando Galarraga (11-4) was outstanding for eight innings, but he has been outstanding before. As Leyland said, the way Galarraga has pitched while compiling an 11-4 record "is no longer a surprise."

It also helped that the Jays made a lot of mistakes in the Tigers' five-run eighth.

Walks, a wild pitch and an ill-advised throw home from left fielder Adam Lind, plus some excellent two-out hitting were the ingredients of the rally. Miguel Cabrera tied it with a single. Edgar Renteria's double put the Tigers in front and Brandon Inge's two-run single provided a degree of comfort.

In more ways than one, it was a needed victory.

"I just wanted to remind (the players) that we're going to have crowds of over 30,000 almost every game the rest of the season," Leyland said. "We owe the fans something. They've stuck with us; they've spent their hard-earned money to watch us. We've disappointed them and I apologize for that.

"We have to see how well we can play for a month and a half. Let's have some fun because, obviously, we haven't played as well as we should have. I'm going to try to manage my butt off and all I want them to do is to play their butts off.

"You don't always control your performance, but you do control your effort and your attitude. I'm not saying anyone would have done it on purpose, but sometimes it gets a little long during the dog days of August. You have to be careful that you don't start feeling, 'Well, we'll do it next year.' That won't happen here. Just finish it out as hard as you can, huddle up together and let's go. Let's see what we've got.

"That's all. No big deal."

No big deal? An appeal to pride and commitment always is a big deal. The Tigers were dead in the water after three consecutive losses to a Toronto team that even now is six games under .500 on the road.

The talk didn't take long. It wasn't loud. It wasn't overly emotional. But it was a big deal.

"We can't play all pent up worrying about everything," Brandon Inge said about Leyland's talk. "There was a reason for that meeting. Obviously he saw something."

And because he saw something, he said something with a grind-it-out victory following.

Coincidence? Like everything else, to be determined.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:40 pm

08/16/2008 12:54 AM ET

Box >

Mora, Castro hurt Tigers in tough loss
Robertson struggles against O's as Detroit drops opener
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Melvin Mora's damage against the Tigers couldn't be a surprise on Friday. Juan Castro's damage was.

Mora was a .307 career hitter against Detroit going into this weekend after his 6-for-15, three-homer, seven-RBI series last month at Baltimore. He fell a double shy of the cycle while driving in four runs, but it was Castro's two doubles and three runs scored that seemingly encapsulated the frustrations of a Tigers team whose 11-2 loss to the Orioles continued what has become a lost homestand.

Not until a six-run ninth inning did the O's turn this game into a runaway. Yet with four runs in the first three innings and an add-on tally once Detroit rallied for its two runs, the Orioles kept the Tigers trailing from the start and compounded their woes from there.

"It started ugly and got worse at the end," manager Jim Leyland summarized. "We had a lot of hits, no runs. We actually swung the bats better than the score showed, but you have to pitch obviously better than we did."

Whether it's the position in the standings or simply trying for a winning season, there's little room for error these days in Detroit. In that sense, three errors that led to six unearned runs were fatal. Just as dooming, though, were the hits when they could least afford them -- many of them early, and one key pitch late.

It was a bad night for starter Nate Robertson to be out of sync mechanically from the outset.

"If I missed a pitch," Robertson said, "they didn't let me get away with it."

Mora was just 3-for-18 for his career against Robertson entering the game, but two of those hits came in their last meeting on July 19 at Camden Yards -- a two-run homer and an RBI single on the night the Tigers saw a six-run, first-inning lead vanish by the end of the third.

This time, Robertson was an out away from retiring the side in order in the opening inning when he fell behind on Mora and gave up a two-out triple. He had a 3-1 count when Aubrey Huff singled through the right side to open the scoring.

Another Tigers killer from last month, Luke Scott, doubled an inning later, but a strikeout of Lou Montanez left him with two outs and ninth hitter Castro, 1-for-11 lifetime against Robertson, at the plate. Robertson put Castro in a 1-2 count with back-to-back foul balls, but missed with three straight fastballs inside. The walk extended the inning for Brian Roberts' two-out single and a Magglio Ordonez throwing error allowing Castro to score when the ball hit Scott and bounced away from catcher Brandon Inge.

Robertson had made a mechanical adjustment a couple starts ago, a tweak he said was meant to free up his hands. It helped him to 7 2/3 innings of one-run ball against Oakland last time out, but his woes returned.

"I felt pretty good about it over the last couple starts," Robertson said. "Tonight I just had a couple innings there, where my release point was off a little bit. I was yanking some pitches. I was a little bit more left-to-right instead of having my direction toward the plate. It cost me getting behind in the count a couple times and missing my pitch."

Mora's next at-bat was another time. Leading off the third, he tried to go with a 1-1 slider and watched it go flat. Mora turned on it and took it out to left for his 18th home run on the season and a 4-0 O's lead.

That provided a working margin for Baltimore starter Chris Waters, who stranded Curtis Granderson at third following his one-out double in the third with a Placido Polanco groundout and a called third strike on Miguel Cabrera. Not until Polanco's two-run homer in the fifth did Detroit plate a run, and while it halved the deficit, it was quickly nullified.

Again, Castro provided the key blow. He lined Robertson's first pitch of the sixth inning off the left-field fence for a leadoff double.

"The No. 9 hitter gets a double there, and then you have to try to work around it," Robertson said. "That would've been a good time to get a zero on the board and you never know what would've happened. They get an add-on run in the sixth, and I think that was probably the turning point."

The add-on tally didn't come until Robertson was out, having walked Nick Markakis on four pitches after tweaking his knee on Roberts' sacrifice bunt. Mora, fittingly, provided the RBI with a sac fly off Aquilino Lopez.

That finished the line on Robertson, whose four earned runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings added to his season damage. His 5.87 ERA is the second-highest among American League starters with enough innings to qualify for a title behind Carlos Silva. Only Silva and Livan Hernandez, recently released by the Twins, have allowed more hits among AL starters.

"To sum it up to this point, he's just made too many bad pitches," Leyland said. "That's just the way it is. For whatever reason, he's just made too many bad pitches -- sometimes when you've got the count in your favor, sometimes when he's behind."

Two fielding errors -- though the Tigers believed one was actually an interference play when Montanez deflected Polanco's double play with his outstretched hand -- helped make for an ugly ninth inning in which Baltimore put up five unearned runs on Todd Jones. Fittingly, the disputed play allowed Castro on base with a fielder's choice. Mora's two-run single drove him in.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 pm

08/17/2008 12:14 AM ET

Box >

Tigers power past Orioles
Pair of homers in fourth inning give Detroit the lead for good
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Justin Verlander seemed to rid himself of the blahs. Miguel Cabrera provided the oohs and aahs.

When Verlander struggled in his last start, Tigers manager Jim Leyland gave him a quick hook after 78 pitches with the hope to "freshen him up" for this outing. Leyland still wants to be cautious with his young ace, and he wasn't going to press his luck on Saturday. Still, for six innings, Verlander's arsenal was plenty to continue his success against the Orioles with a 5-3 victory.

While Verlander recovered from two unearned runs to blank the O's for the rest of his outing, Cabrera smacked a 440-foot home run in the fourth inning, and Carlos Guillen avenged his two-run error with a go-ahead solo shot two batters later. In a season with more than its fair shares of games when the Tigers have been out of sync, this was one night where pitching and offense picked up each other.

"Justin pitched good," Cabrera said. "He pitched six strong innings. We gave him five runs, and that was enough to let him win the game."

Whether the victory means anything for the stretch run -- it was Detroit's 60th win of the season in mid-August, later than many expected -- it provided an entertaining night of baseball for the 41,727 in attendance. Cabrera's home run undoubtedly stood as the highlight attraction.

It wasn't long enough to crack the top 10 homers in the nine-year history of this ballpark, but it ranks as the longest this season, according to estimated distances provided by the Tigers' media relations department. Almost as impressive, though, was that much of the power came from Cabrera's strength, rather than the speed of the pitch.

Orioles starter Dennis Sarfate threw a heavy diet of fastballs over his first few innings, including all five pitches to Cabrera in his first at-bat before he slapped a hard-hit ground ball off of shortstop Juan Castro's glove. When Cabrera stepped to the plate to lead off the bottom of the fourth, Sarfate changed his approach, going with back-to-back breaking balls low and over the plate.

Cabrera took the first for a called strike. He didn't miss the second.

"He basically hit that ball one-handed," Leyland marveled. "He just got one out and got it. Obviously, he had both hands hitting, but he just had a great finish, kind of almost one-handed that ball."

Almost, though Cabrera wouldn't go that far.

"Both hands," Cabrera said.

More importantly, Cabrera's arms were extended as he reached for the ball. Once he connected, he sent it into flight until it landed at the base of the brick wall behind the left-field seats, underneath the retired number of Hall of Famer Charlie Gehringer, for Cabrera's 25th homer of the year.

Home runs that deep usually come off fastballs that provide some of the power. This one didn't.

"You see things from this guy that just marvel you day after day," Leyland said. "I mean, people just don't do those kind of things. This guy, he's a force."

The impact on the game was to tie it after Guillen's third-inning throwing miscue had given Baltimore a 2-1 lead. Two batters after Cabrera erased that advantage, Guillen atoned for his throw to propel Detroit ahead for good, taking a Sarfate fastball to left for an opposite-field shot.

Guillen hit pitches hard in all four of his at-bats after missing the previous three games with a pinched nerve in his back. His 10th homer of the year was the one ball that landed for a hit.

"It always feels good when you hit a home run," Guillen said. "We got ahead on the scoreboard. It's pretty good. When you make errors, it's part of the game. You have to play hard [for] nine innings."

It wouldn't have made as big a difference had Verlander not otherwise held down the Orioles' offense for six.

Verlander entered the game with a 2-0 record and a 1.64 ERA in three career outings against Baltimore, falling one out shy of a complete-game three-hitter at Camden Yards in their last meeting July 20. Yet that was his last victory before four straight losses, including what Leyland called the "blahs" last time out after throwing 130 pitches.

Some of that life returned on Saturday. His fastball topped out around 96 mph, according to the stadium radar gun, and his offspeed pitches accentuated it. With that arsenal, he struck out three of the first eight batters he faced before Castro's third-inning single and a two-out double from Nick Markakis set up Melvin Mora to haunt the Tigers again. This time, Mora grounded to third, but Guillen's throw sailed over Cabrera, allowing both runners to score and erasing Detroit's early lead.

"I made a bad throw," Guillen said. "There's no excuse. It's a routine play."

No matter. Verlander (9-13) allowed an infield single and two walks over his final 13 hitters from there. Just one ball put in play got out of the infield over that span.

The two walks bumped his pitch count to the point that Leyland opted not send him out for the seventh, not at 110 pitches.

"That's a very good lineup, I think -- one of the better ones in the league," Leyland said. "I thought he pitched very, very well. He was definitely out of gas, in my opinion, at the end. But he did a tremendous job."

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:59 am

Saturday, August 16, 2008
Tigers 5, Orioles 3
Homers help Verlander get a win
Cabrera, Guillen help right-hander, who doesn't allow an earned run in six innings.
Britt Braudo / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- For Justin Verlander, it was a sigh of relief.

After losing his last four decisions, a win was what he desperately needed.

In Detroit's 5-3 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday night, Verlander (9-13) allowed just four hits and struck out six in six innings. In his previous four outings, he had allowed a combined 24 earned runs in 21 2/3 innings.

"Verlander pitched good against a very good lineup," manager Jim Leyland said. "Any time you're inter-division, I think the hitter has an advantage, the pitcher has an advantage, it's just a matter of who executes."

Verlander might have gotten the run support he needed, but the Tigers (60-63) were careless defensively. After taking an early 1-0 lead on a Gary Sheffield RBI single, Detroit let two runs score in the third on a throwing error by third baseman Carlos Guillen. Guillen overthrew first on a base hit by Melvin Mora, and in a case of déjÀ vu, he overthrew first again in the sixth on a Mora base hit.

"I made a bad throw, no excuses. Errors are part of the game," Guillen said. "You've got to play hard for nine innings."

With the Tigers trailing 2-1 in the fourth, Miguel Cabrera tied the game when he hit a curveball that sailed an estimated 440 feet and hit the brick wall in the outfield that commemorates Tigers greats.

"When you hit a home run like that, you say, we tied it or we won it," Cabrera said. "Sometimes, off-speed, you can get that far, too."

Leyland said it looked like Cabrera seemed to effortlessly hit the ball past the bullpen in left-center field.

"He basically hit that ball out of the ballpark with one hand, Leyland said. "You see things from this guy that just marvel you day after day. People just don't do that kind of thing."

But the inning didn't end there.

In his first game since leaving in the eighth inning on Tuesday night with lower back pain, Guillen hit a home run of his own in the fourth, giving the Tigers a 3-2 lead. Even after watching the ball sail over the bullpen, Guillen said his fly out to center field in the second was much better than the home run.

"It always feels good when you hit a home run," Guillen said. "I hit that one (the first one) better. The first one, way better."

In the fifth, Orioles starter Dennis Sarfate only lasted long enough to load the bases and walk Gary Sheffield, allowing Curtis Granderson to score. Sarfate (4-3) pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing six hits and four runs, including the two home runs. He struck out five, threw two wild pitches and walked three.

Reliever Randor Bierd took over, lasting only one inning and allowing three hits and one run in the sixth.

Cabrera was 3-for-4 with an RBI and scored twice, including his home run, and Granderson was 2-for-3 with an RBI. Mora was 2-for-3 and reached twice on Guillen's throwing errors for the Orioles (59-63). Closer Fernando Rodney got his fourth save.

After the Tigers lost 11-2 to the Orioles Friday, Leyland said he was happy with the effort the team put forth on Saturday.

"The guys are hustling real hard," Leyland said. "I complimented everybody on how I think they're running the ball out."

When a day game is scheduled after a night game, Leyland said the lineup needs some adjusting, and he plans to rest Guillen and Magglio Ordonez for the final game of the series on Sunday afternoon. He plans to play Ryan Raburn and Marcus Thames, with Brandon Inge possibly moving to third base.

"It all depends on what kind of game we're trying to play," Leyland said. "He (Guillen) wants to play, but he also understands this is the best thing for him. I can't afford to lose him for 10-15 days, so I'm not going to get greedy."

Even with the lineup changes, Leyland said he was confident with the players he'll be using on Sunday, but admitted that most of the result isn't in their hands.

"I'll feel good about the team we put out there," Leyland said. "But it'll all be dictated by Zach Miner. If he pitches good, we'll have a chance. If he doesn't, we won't."

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:48 pm

08/17/2008 4:40 PM ET

Box >

Tigers' staff outmatched vs. Orioles
Miner allows five runs in 1 1/3 innings; bullpen fares no better
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- This is why Tigers manager Jim Leyland likes to say that momentum is only as good as the next day's pitcher.

It's also a snapshot of why the Tigers have struggled to find momentum for much of this season.

"It's happened way too many times this year," Leyland said.

Leyland wasn't referring to the details. Only once since 1956 have the Tigers given up more extra-base hits in a game than the dozen they yielded in Sunday's 16-8 loss to the Orioles, according to research on baseball-reference.com, and only once in the nine-year history of Comerica Park has Detroit surrendered more runs in a game here.

It's the pattern that gets to Leyland. Really, it's more like the lack of a pattern.

"One of the main reasons we haven't been able to maintain a streak," Leyland said, "is because we just haven't pitched good. You get a win, and then the next day, somebody doesn't pitch good."

It wouldn't have been a big streak for the Tigers had they won this one, just two games. But as they head into Texas to face a Rangers lineup that can put up runs in bunches and hit quality pitches just as easily, it would've been a heartening sign that they can overcome big-time offensive clubs.

The offense was so big on this day that nobody pitched particularly well except for three scoreless innings contributed by Orioles reliever Fernando Cabrera. The difference on Sunday came down to which relief staff could pitch well enough, since both starting pitchers were out of this game by the end of the second inning, having combined for just nine outs over the course of 115 pitches.

The Orioles blistered Tigers relievers for 11 more runs after Zach Miner's first rough start since rejoining the rotation. Baltimore's bullpen gave up three runs on 10 hits over 7 1/3 innings, and that was good enough.

"On a day like today, [it comes down to] whose bullpen comes in and halfway shuts the door," Leyland said. "If either starter pitched a good game today, they'd have a win. ... If we keep it close, we've got a shot. But eventually, it takes the wind out of your sails when you fight back and give up four, and then another inning, give up another four."

In this case, the comeback came surprisingly early, and the runaway followed all too soon.

Once Bobby Seay retired Juan Castro for the final out of the top of the ninth, Tigers hurlers had combined for 191 pitches. Just 106 of them went for strikes, and 22 of those went for base hits, including two homers and two doubles for Melvin Mora in a five-hit, six-RBI game that left him at 10-for-13 for the series.

It was a rough day for Miner to take a humbling outing. Considering he had allowed two runs or fewer over six innings in four of his previous five starts since joining Detroit's rotation last month, a fallback performance was going to come at some point. Still, few expected this.

Brian Roberts and Nick Markakis started the game with back-to-back doubles, the latter on a decent sinker out of the strike zone. Mora continued his tear against Tigers pitching with an RBI single. Aubrey Huff blooped another double down the left-field line before Kevin Millar lined a ball through the left side of the infield.

By the time Miner struck out Luke Scott for the game's first out, the O's had a 3-0 lead and pitching coach Chuck Hernandez had made a mound visit. Baltimore plated another run and batted around in the order by the time Miner retired the side.

"He threw a couple good pitches that got smoked," Leyland said, "and he threw some [worse] pitches that got smoked. They didn't have the crispness, didn't have the bite. ... He just had one of those days. He didn't have much, and that happens."

Even so, Miner felt the Tigers could have a chance at a win if he could hold the Orioles from that point. However, his downfall in the second inning came from walks, not hits. Though one of his three passes in the inning was intentional, the bases-loaded walk to Millar was not, and it signaled the end of his outing.

"It's kind of over before you realize it's started," Miner said.

Detroit's ensuing rally proved him right in his forecast. Casey Fossum retired the first six batters he faced, allowing the Tigers to take advantage of a wild performance from O's starter Garrett Olson to tie the game following a Gary Sheffield two-run single and a pair of RBI hits from Miguel Cabrera.

A pair of four-run rallies, however, put Baltimore ahead for good. Scott hit a three-run shot off Fossum (2-1), who took the loss, in the fourth before Mora doubled in two runs off Aquilino Lopez in the fifth. Huff followed with a two-run blast. Scott added a solo shot leading off the seventh for his second two-homer game against the Tigers this season.

"It's just a tough one all around," third baseman Brandon Inge said. "They barreled everything that they swung at today. I think a couple good pitches actually went into the stands, so it's one of those games you just have to put that one behind you pretty quickly."

The Tigers can put losses behind them well. Building momentum off of wins, however, has been difficult. After a 4-6 homestand, they don't have the momentum they were hoping for.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES   

Back to top Go down

DET. TIGERS 2008 REG SEASON SCHEDULE & SCORES
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 17 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next