DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score from MLB.com

Symbols for Play

Defensive Players by the Numbers

Different fans have different methods of keeping a scorecard, and many use their own notations.

But here's a simple method:

If the hitter grounds out to shortstop, for example, write in "6-3," which shows the hortstop threw him out at first base. If the hitter flies out to left field, write a "7."

If the batter gets a hit, write in the hit according to which base he reached. Each corner of the box represents a base, with the lower-right corner being first.

If he singles, put a "-" in the lower right. If he doubles, write a "=" in the upper right, and so on. For a walk, use "BB" in the lower right. As the runner advances, mark the appropriate symbol in the appropriate corner.

If a runner scores, put a circle at the bottom of the box, and inside the circle put the symbol of the play and/or the player that drove him in. For example, if the No. 5 hitter drives in two runs with a single, mark his single in the bottom right of his box and mark a circle with the number "5" in it in the boxes of the runners who score (Some people like to use uniform numbers here, so you can tell who did what, even after lineup changes).

At the end of each inning, total the hits and runs for that inning only. At the end of the game you'll be able to add the innings total to get the game score.

Example Scorecard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is from information was obtained from The Baseball Scorecard at http://www.baseballscorecard.com/index.htm by Patrick McGovern

Downloadable scorecards (PDF format) Click on Red title to get the scorecard.

Vertical Scorecard - simple

Enhanced Vertical Scorecard
This is an enhanced version of the scorecard above. It contains spaces to mark the count against the batter. Jason K.J., a visitor to this site, modified the scorecard above and was kind enough to send me a copy of his pdf file. You will need Adobe Acrobat Viewer 4.0 or higher to view it. Thanks Jason!

Children's Scorecard
I developed this for my 8 year old son. He likes to keep a scorecard while we are at the game, but he is only interested in charting the players' progress around the bases. So, I made a card that is easy for him to use and does not include batting or pitching statistics. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base are represented in the scoreboxes by circled numbers. Home is a diamond. My son shades each base where the batter/runner comes to rest and then makes any notations that are necessary. He used to draw lines between the bases but stopped when he realized that he could place his notations between the bases instead of in the corners. By looking at the shaded characters, he is able to tell how far each batter/runner advanced during the inning. At the bottom of each inning is a place to record runs for the inning and to keep a running score.

Getting Started

Game Data
Once you've familiarized yourself with the scorecard layout, it is time to start filling it in. Normally at the top you'll find places to log information such as team names, date, and time. Some scorecards also contain spaces for location, temperature, weather, team win-loss records, and several other statistics. Some cards will even provide space for umpire and coach names. Fill in as much as you want, but be sure to fill in the team names, date, and time. If you don't, you won't know what game you were scoring when you find the scorecard in the bottom of a drawer a few months later.

Player Data
Next, find where you'll be entering player data. This will be a grid with inning numbers and other designations running across the top and spaces for the players' names, numbers and positions down the side. Fill these in when the batting order is announced. Before entering the player positions, you should be aware of one standard way of recording them. Instead of alphabetic
abbreviations, most people assign numbers to the positions. The standard position numbers are shown below.

1 - Pitcher; 2 - Catcher; 3 - 1st Base; 4 - 2nd Base; 5 - 3rd Base; 6 - Shortstop; 7 - Left Field; 8 - Center Field; 9 - Right Field

A designated-hitter is represented by "DH".

These numbers are easy to remember if you start with the pitcher and then work your way around the bases. The only hitch is the shortstop. You would think that the numbers for shortsop and third base should be reversed. One explanation that I've read was that the shortstop was not originally considered part of the infield. It was originally part of the outfield as a "short fielder." I don't know if this is true or not, but it does explain the number system.

Finally, you'll notice an area where you can register the statistical totals. Some of these, such as runs and hits, are totaled after each half-inning. Others, such as player and team totals, are tallied after the game has been played. We'll discuss this section later.

Scoring
Scorekeeper Shorthand
Scorekeeping is accomplished by a sort of "shorthand," which is basically a combination of position numbers and abbreviations. Refer to the "Scoring Abbreviation" page to see some common numbers and abbreviations used throughout a game.

Batter Up!

Let's see what we need to do as each player has his turn at bat. We'll confine ourselves to the top of the lineup.

If you've familiarized yourself with the position numbers, you'll see that the center fielder, second baseman, catcher, and right fielder are the first batters up.

Smith singles to center field. A lot of pre-printed scorecards will have a diamond representing the field in the middle of each box. To mark Smith's single, we'll darken the line from home to first and place a 1B next to it. Many people also like to draw a line to show where the batter hit the ball.

Lawson's up next and he strikes out swinging. A "K" is placed in his box to indicate that he struck out. If it was a called strike three, a "Kc" or a backwards "K" would be placed in the box. A circled "1" is also placed in the box to indicate that it is the first out.
(Alberto Z., a visitor to this site, likes to use
"K.." for a called strike three. He says that the two dots look like a
pair of eyes watching the last strike go by.)

Henry is batting next, but while he is batting Smith manages to steal second. The line from first to second should be darkened and an "SB" along with a number to indicate who was at bat is written to indicate that Smith stole second during Henry's plate appearance. I like to use the player's jersey number for this. It makes it easier for me to keep track of things. Other people use the player's position number. So, I could have just as easily written "SB2" instead of "SB17". If Henry hit or sacrificed the batter over to second, you would place just the uniform or player number next to the path from first to second to show how Smith got there.

Henry manages to draw a walk. The line from home to first is darkened and either a "BB" or "W" is written to indicate the walk. I prefer to use BB for "Base on Balls."

Jones is now at bat and hits it to the short stop who tosses it to the second baseman who tags the bag to get Henry out. The second baseman then throws to first to get Jones out. A classic 6-4-3 double play, which is what is written in Jones' box. Of course, both outs must be recorded. So a line is drawn halfway between first and second in Henry's box and is marked with a '33' to indicate that Jones was the batter. A circled '2' is also entered to indicate that Henry was the second out.
In Jones' box a 6-4-3 is written along with a 'DP' for the double play and a circled '3' to indicate the third out. A 'DP' could also have been entered in Henry's box to indicate that he was caught up in the double play as well. One other method is to draw a line connecting the two boxes.

The '6-4-3' above is an example of how all players who were involved in putting the runner out are given credit.
Since this is the third out, a slash is drawn across the lower right-hand corner of Jones' box to indicate the end of the inning. This is what the scorecard should look like after the first half-inning.

Obviously, the above was just a small example. For more, check out my examples page.

Substitutions

Later in the game...

I've never seen a game where at least one substitution was not made. There are many reasons to replace a starter: pitchers get tired, batters aren't hitting, players get injured, someone's ejected, or the manager makes a strategic move. Whatever the reason, sooner or later you're going to have to mark a substitution on your scorecard.

So, how do you do this? It depends on the substitution. For batter substitutions, I draw a line between the last scorebox of the previous batter and the first scorebox of the new batter.

Kitt pinch hits for Lawson. If the new batter is a pinch hitter, place "PH" in the position box. If he is taking a position in the field, use the normal position numbers. If players are moved around in the field, you'll want to show that on your scorecard.

Usually, I make a note by the player's name indicating the move. When a substitution is made for the pitcher, place a line under the score box of the last batter the previous pitcher faced.

Take a Swing
Hopefully, the above examples will give you an idea about how scorekeeping is done. Give it a try next time you go to out to the ballgame. Also, don't be afraid to experiment. What works best for others may not be best for you. I am always open to suggestion and would appreciate any that are offered. So, if you come up with something that works well, I would be glad to hear about it.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:37 pm

I've kept score at every game I've been to. I think I'm officially done with it though ashamed

I'm going to a game tonight and will not be keeping score. It seems like it's more of a hassle than it's worth. The information is available everywhere. I'll still maintain my Excel thing that has info on all the games I've been to, but I don't need a scorecard to fill it out.

Sorry

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:38 pm

Here's a scorecard I did once. The top is cut off where I record the teams and dates.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:02 pm

dang, you're goood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Cat even gets those special scoring notebooks, I see! Great job. You should have sent some of those sheets into MLB when you tried to get the gameday scoring job!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:28 pm

proof you know your stuff!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:28 pm

I even keep track of pitches which most people don't. Those / looking marks indicate a pickoff attempt at first base ( | would be to 2nd base and \ would be to third base - those are fairly rare though).

I also write C if the catcher visits the mound and M if the manager or pitching coach visits and a T if the trainer visits.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:36 pm

I think your scoring is great! Don't stop!

applaud

I still think you could get a good job in MLB somewhere. They will always have to keep score. Just check the dugouts, each team has a scorer with paper score cards yet, so the manager, or players can check them during the game.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:38 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I think your scoring is great! Don't stop!

applaud

I still think you could get a good job in MLB somewhere. They will always have to keep score. Just check the dugouts, each team has a scorer with paper score cards yet, so the manager, or players can check them during the game.

After this season I won't live close enough to a MLB team to score for them. I might score games from time to time, but with picture taking and all that I probably will no longer score every game - there just isn't a need for it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Sad, but true, a picture is worth so much more when you want to look back at a game, just label them well.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm

With digital it keeps track of the date the picture was taken. Since it also numbers them (they're saved by default as something like DSC00196, DSC00197, etc.) you can figure out quite a bit even without labeling them.

I've been posting the better ones here and adding better labels. I'll probably continue to do so.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   Fri May 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Bump

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score   

Back to top Go down

Baseball Basics: How to Keep Score
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1