DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:45 am

04/05/2008 9:55 PM ET
Tigers will try to put it all together
Detroit (0-5) vs. Chicago (3-2), Sunday, 8:05 p.m. ET
By Scott McNeish / MLB.com

• Verlander's career stats

DETROIT -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland shined a mathematical light on his team's puzzling struggles.

It's simple, he says. First, take a underachieving offense, add inconsistent pitching, and you get a sum of zero -- the number in the Tigers' win column heading into Sunday's nationally televised series finale against the White Sox at Comerica Park.

"We haven't done the right combinations to win a game, obviously, and that about sums it up," Leyland said. "There's nothing tricky about it. There's nothing fancy about it. It's right there in front of all of us.

"That's why you appreciate winning so much, because you realize how tough it is to win."

Now the Tigers, the only team in the Major Leagues without a victory, need to put it all together to avoid a second straight sweep. And a win Sunday would provide a much-needed confidence boost with a road series against the World Series champion Red Sox next week.

"I just think we're trying to do too much," Sunday's starting pitcher Justin Verlander said.

The Tigers look to Verlander, their pitching rotation's leader, to stop the bleeding. He had a decent outing on Opening Day, giving up four runs in six innings. Leyland said his ace should continue to throw well. But if the Tigers' bats are unable to get rolling, a strong outing might not be good enough.

An offense that had pundits and fans drooling has gone just 6-for-39 with runners in scoring position. That could change, however, against Chicago starter Mark Buehrle, who struggled mightily in his first start.

"Like I always say," Leyland explained, "you don't just go win games. You have to go out and do the stuff it takes to win the game. We're not doing that right now."

Pitching matchup

DET:
RHP Justin Verlander (0-0, 6.00 ERA)
Verlander pitched six innings in his Opening Day start and left with a 3-2 lead in the Tigers' eventual loss. He has struggled against the White Sox in his career, owning a 1-4 record with a 5.96 ERA while giving up 49 hits and 30 earned runs in 45 1/3 innings. Last year against Chicago, he had three no-decisions and a 3.66 ERA.

CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle (0-0, 37.80 ERA)
Chicago's ace had an Opening Day he'd like to forget, giving up seven runs without escaping the second inning. He has a 12-8 career record against the Tigers with a solid 3.14 ERA. The veteran lefty has been inconsistent in 11 career starts at Comerica Park, going 6-5 and giving up 37 runs in 94 2/3 innings.

Tidbits
Sunday's game will be the first on national television for the Tigers this season. ... The White Sox have 22 wins in their past 35 meetings with the Tigers, dating back to 2006. ... Miguel Cabrera has gone 1-for-12 since his Opening Day home run.

On the Internet
MLB.TV
Gameday Audio
• Gameday
• Official game notes

On television
• ESPN2

On radio
• 97.1 FM/WXYT 1270

Up next
• Monday: Off-day
• Tuesday: Tigers (Kenny Rogers, 0-1, 3.00) at Red Sox (Daisuke Matsuzaka, 1-0, 2.31), 2:05 p.m. ET
• Wednesday: Tigers (Jeremy Bonderman, 0-1, 5.68) at Red Sox (Jon Lester, 1-1, 3.38), 7:05 p.m. ET

Scott McNeishis an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:48 am

PLEASE win this pray

It's my dad's birthday if that helps...

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:46 am

All the best for your dad catbox!

And all the best for this game. I will watch this though i will have to get up really early. But i don't wanna miss our first win! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger

Number of posts : 570
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : all of them!
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:32 pm

congrats to your Dad catbox....hope the Tigers can get something going. Right now I just hope they get outta the cellar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:46 pm

pray for a Tigers win.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:47 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
PLEASE win this pray

It's my dad's birthday if that helps...

Happy Birthday Catbox's Dad! Cheers 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Happy Birthday, Catbox Senior!! PARTY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08   

Back to top Go down

Tigers will try to put it all together on 4/6/08
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1