DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Tigers quest gets no easier

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:49 am

Tigers' quest gets no easier
Tom Gage / The Detroit News
BOSTON -- From bad to Beantown.

Maybe if the Tigers' first week hadn't been such a complete flop, if it also hadn't been such a mystery, the way in which their second week is about to begin wouldn't be like adding insult to injury.

But here they are, baseball's only 0-6 team -- terrible so far, flat-out terrible -- about to see the Boston Red Sox get their 2007 World Series rings before today's game at Fenway Park.

Sorry, but isn't that like watching someone else get a perfect-attendance ribbon when you've been as sick as a dog?

Good for them.

Congratulations.

Get on with it.

Most home openers have more conventional preludes than this one. The Red Sox have been nomads. The Tigers have been stay-at-home lousy.

And didn't we all think the Tigers would hit the road for the first time with a winning record? How could they not be at least 4-2 after opening against the Royals and White Sox?

How could they not be looking like a possible heir, if indeed the Red Sox vacate the throne this season?

But after six games, the Tigers have scored the fewest runs (15) in the American League and have the highest ERA (5.30). Even being winless, however, doesn't explain why they have looked so listless.

"It's almost as if we're just coming to work right now," embarrassed manager Jim Leyland said. "We're really not sure what we're trying to accomplish.

"I don't know if we're falling into the trap of if, 'I don't do it, somebody else will.' I don't know if we're trying to hit a couple of home runs (with each at-bat).

"I'm not saying they're not prepared. It's just that we're not prepared enough, evidently, with hunger and a sense of urgency. I don't mean urgency in the sense of the season or being 0-6. I'm talking about going to the plate to grind it out.

"We're just taking at-bats. But they need a manager in times like these to stick by their side because they have enough other people (angry) and I don't blame those people.

"These guys know they've been horse-bleep. ... If they don't know that, we really have a problem."

The Red Sox, at 3-4, aren't yet looking like themselves, either, though jet lag could be a contributing factor. After traveling 16,000 miles, with stops in Japan, Los Angeles, Oakland and Toronto, they're finally home.

"That's a trip right there," Brandon Inge said.

And after 16,000 questions about why they're off to such a bewildering start, the Tigers are their opponents.

This wasn't supposed to be just a series, but a so-called early showdown. Instead, they are two scrambling teams -- the Red Sox to get to .500, the Tigers just to win a game.

But at least the Red Sox will have some bling to feel better about today. And, you never know, maybe another team's celebration will motivate the Tigers. At this point, they're open to all possible remedies.

"I like watching those things," Leyland said about the ring ceremony. "I'm very appreciative of it because I've been there. So I like to see it and I like my guys to see it because that's what you're shooting for."

Todd Jones will be happy for the Red Sox for another reason. He was a teammate of some of them when he was with Boston in 2003.

"I think you're happy for teams that go all the way because it's so difficult," he said. "Only one team can do it. But it's a matter of giving them credit because they earned it. I have friends over there. I'll be clapping for a couple of them. But when the ceremonies are over, it's time to get back at it."

For Inge, every trip to Boston is special because it's where he first took batting practice in a major league park. It occurred when he played for Bourne in the Cape Cod League. As a league all-star, he was allowed to take swings at Fenway Park.

"I love that place," he said, "especially the Green Monster."

But will he love seeing the Red Sox get their rings when the Tigers have seldom looked as lost as they do now?

"I can see where there'd be some motivation," Inge said. "This is the way I look at, though: The rings are being awarded for last year, not this year."

And this year still is up for grabs, the Tigers need to keep saying to themselves.

Even for a winless team.

But this winless, disappointing, frustrated team needs to find whatever's been missing. That doesn't just mean its hitting and pitching, either.

What's been missing, as Leyland said, is its hunger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:34 am

I really hope this day off helped them getting hungry! It won't be easy today but at least i want them see trying to win!

Go tiger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:33 am

At least some effort...WAKE UP OUT THERE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:20 am

How many of our double plays has Cabrera himself hit into?

GEEZ!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:24 am

about as many as Magglio has!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:07 pm

I know, right? tiger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I used to think it was maybe something with just Maggs but it's the whole freakin' team!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Doesn't make any Censored sense...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:36 pm

I just wanna go slap 'em all..

000...that could get me goin'!

(JUST KIDDING Big Smile)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers quest gets no easier   

Back to top Go down

Tigers quest gets no easier
View previous topic View next topic Back to top