DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

No. 42 for a day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 am

Six Tigers to wear No. 42
D-Train among players who will honor Robinson on Tuesday
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

BOSTON -- The Tigers will have at least a half-dozen players donning the No. 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson on Tuesday, when Major League Baseball will honor the pioneer at ballparks across the country.
New Tigers Dontrelle Willis and Jacque Jones are expected to join Curtis Granderson, Marcus Thames, Gary Sheffield and Ivan Rodriguez in donning the jersey number for a day when the Tigers host the Twins at Comerica Park. Granderson, Thames, Sheffield and Rodriguez all did the same last year, when they were in Toronto for the occasion.

Willis, who wears No. 21 for Detroit, wore 42 for a day while with the Marlins last year with the organization's encouragement. He, along with Granderson and others around the league, has long pushed to increase awareness of the game among African-American children. Having a sense of history and the sacrifices that Robinson made to break baseball's color barrier go with that.

"I feel honored," Willis said. "I feel proud. It's more than just a number. It stands for a lot of things. He opened doors and ultimately changed the face of this game. That's a lot of history -- American history, not just African-American history."

Rodriguez, who was born and raised in Puerto Rico, was a last-minute addition to those wearing the number last year, because he wanted to honor Robinson as someone who opened up the sport for many around the world.

"It's a day to celebrate the man," Rodriguez said.

Introduced in 2004, Jackie Robinson Day was created to honor the enduring impact of the late Dodgers great and his legacy as the first African-American player to break the Major League color barrier. Robinson played his first big league game at Ebbets Field on April 15, 1947, as a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers. In honor of the 50th anniversary of Robinson breaking the Major League color barrier in 1997, Robinson's uniform No. 42 was retired throughout the Major Leagues.

Robinson's memory lives on today in initiatives such as the Jackie Robinson Foundation, which was founded by his wife, Rachel Robinson, in 1973 to provide education and leadership development opportunities for minority students with strong capabilities but limited financial resources, as well as Breaking Barriers, which utilizes baseball-themed activities to reinforce literacy skills, mathematics, science and social history -- in addition to addressing critical issues of character development, such as conflict resolution and self-esteem.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:29 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

NEW YORK -- By proclamation of the Commissioner, for the second consecutive year as Major League Baseball celebrates the anniversary of Jackie Robinson [not actually] breaking its color barrier, any big league player can wear the late Hall of Famer's famous No. 42 in action that day.

I thought this was incredibly stupid last year. I don't even know what to say now. What word would suggest this idea is so stupid that despite being stupid last year it actually appears brilliant last year when compared to this year.

MOSES FLEETWOOD WALKER played SIXTY-SIX years before Jackie Robinson and LARRY DOBY (a HOFer with better numbers than Robinson) played in the same year rant rant rant

Were they too white?
Walker:

Doby:

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:02 pm

maybe for lesser known teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:51 pm

The Indians are well-known. They're a hell of a lot better team than the Brooklyn Dodgers who never really did much until they went to LA whereas the Indians used to win championships.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:45 pm

These guys played for the Indians?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:48 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
These guys played for the Indians?

Jackie Robinson played for the Dodgers and Larry Doby played for the Indians.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Only 6 players Tigers wearing 42? And no white players wearing 42! Or can they? scratch

I still say every player should wear 42 to honor Robinson; They could auction off the jerseys for charity afterwards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Glad to see Pudge wearing it! Wish all the Tigers were wearing 42!

Last edited by gs78 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:55 pm

gs78 wrote:
Only 6 players Tigers wearing 42? And no white players wearing 42! Or can they? scratch

I still say every player should wear 42 to honor Robinson; They could auction off the jerseys for charity afterwards

I believe anyone can where #42 on that day. There were whole teams last year that wore it (including the Dodgers). I know I'd wear it if I were playing in MLB, and I'm not African American...

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:56 pm

same here, its just paying respect to the reason that the game is so great today!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:57 pm

gs78 wrote:

I don't think white players can wear 42. Or they can but are discouraged. This whole thing is moronic. I don't want to give many comments because they come off as racist even when that isn't my intention. If I were to say I didn't care for Robinson or he was vastly overrated I'd be a racist so I won't say that. Larry Doby had the right idea and he's a better ballplayer than Robinson. Then again I didn't actually say that - Bob Feller said that once and he's been called a racist ever since. I thought I was going to get thrown out of Dodger Stadium last April 15 when I tried to argue Robinson was not only not the greatest baseball player of all-time (Cobb and Ruth are most certainly better) but he wasn't even the greatest 2B ever (Rogers Hornsby and Eddie Collins are far superior). That didn't go over to well. The guy even complained to an usher that I was racist.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:57 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I believe anyone can where #42 on that day. There were whole teams last year that wore it (including the Dodgers). I know I'd wear it if I were playing in MLB, and I'm not African American...

I'd wear 14 on that day if I played for the Tigers. Or no number whistle

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Selig should make it mandatory for all teams! Maybe next year they will!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Catbox; If you are a white male, you can't say squat anymore!

Everything is so damn PC nowadays!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:00 pm

gs78 wrote:

Why? That just furthers the idea that Robinson was far superior to all others like Larry Doby and Moses Fleetwood Walker.

I'm not a history major but May 1, 1884 is a long time before April 15, 1946.

One thing I'm sure of - they should unretire 42 permanently (except for the Dodgers) just like the NHL needs to unretire 99.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:05 pm

gs78 wrote:
Catbox; If you are a white male, you can't say squat anymore!

Everything is so damn PC nowadays!

Ain't that the truth whistle

What pisses me off is what I'm saying isn't "racist" but true (like Don Imus' comments... they were offensive but true - those girls had tattoos and their hairstyle was trashy-looking). I'm just trying to say that Jackie Robinson didn't break the color barrier - or even come close and not long after he started playing Larry Doby (and others) played, too. I'm saying Larry Doby is better than Jackie Robinson as a player. That all comes off as racist which pisses me off.

If I try and say Craig Biggio is better than Brandon Inge that isn't racist. Why should saying Doby is better than Robinson be either?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:06 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Why? That just furthers the idea that Robinson was far superior to all others like Larry Doby and Moses Fleetwood Walker.

One thing I'm sure of - they should unretire 42 permanently (except for the Dodgers) just like the NHL needs to unretire 99.

It's not about who was the greater player, it's about honoring African Americans. Yeah, Fleetwood Walker played before Jackie Robinson, but what good did it do? It's not like teaming were lining up to sign African Americans after that. I wouldn't care if Jackie Robinson was a bench player no better than Neifi Perez, I think he'd still be honored.

That's just my take on it.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Although I don't fully agree; I understand what you are saying!

I do agree that the NHL should unretire 99!

If anything, the NHL should retire Gordie Howe's number for all teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:12 pm

I agree with you on Imus Catbox!

I bet if Rob Parker or Stuart Scott insulted a white team, nothing would happen

Last edited by gs78 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:13 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

It's not about who was the greater player, it's about honoring African Americans. Yeah, Fleetwood Walker played before Jackie Robinson, but what good did it do? It's not like teaming were lining up to sign African Americans after that. I wouldn't care if Jackie Robinson was a bench player no better than Neifi Perez, I think he'd still be honored.

That's just my take on it.

Walker had success in the AA (which at the time was a major league). He played half a season and had an OPS+ of 107 (which isn't bad for a catcher) so it's not like he was awful or only played 1 inning or something. He could have likely maintained a career but they forced him out.

Plenty of "Cubans" played MLB before Robinson who may or may not have been black. Robinson, Doby, and others were all signed at about the same time and they all debuted within a month or two of each other. People act like Robinson debuted in 1946, was the first to ever do it, and there wasn't another non-white player for another 10 years or so. Robinson played in Brooklyn which is a fairly multi-racial city. Sure, he was treated poorly, but you can be assured the fine folks of Cleveland (not trying to slam them...not here at least Big Smile ) treated Doby just as bad (after all - the % of whites in a Midwestern city is MUCH higher than in Brooklyn).

Retiring Robinson's number league-wide does nothing but promote the false idea that Robinson broke new ground long before anyone else. I don't want to give the impression that Robinson is a disgrace or a bad player or anything like that but rather he was one of many important people that pioneered baseball being open to everyone. Nobody knows about the other people and that's a shame and that will continue until they (MLB) stop treating Robinson as if her were the only important person.

If you took a class on US history and they only founding father they mentioned was George Washington wouldn't you feel like you missed out on almost everything you were supposed to learn?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:46 pm

The real tragedy is so many players of color were denied the chance to play in MLB because of racism among the owners and American Society.

The Tigers were the second to last team to break the color barrier

Imagine how different baseball would have been if these players had been able to take the field
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:55 pm

gs78 wrote:
The real tragedy is so many players of color were denied the chance to play in MLB because of racism among the owners and American Society.

The Tigers were the second to last team to break the color barrier

Imagine how different baseball would have been if these players had been able to take the field

After John McGraw died his wife found a list of players he wanted to sign, but couldn't because they were black.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:01 pm

wow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 am

Damn Shame!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 am

hopefully we've learned from experience! it's pretty much an international game now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Retiring Robinson's number league-wide is going a bit far, I agree with that. But I don't take that day as honoring Robinson, it's about honoring all the African Americans who pushed to let MLB sign them. It's not Robinson's fault that MLB uses him as the their figure. I agree, they should take that day in honoring more African Americans who came into MLB shortly after Robinson. Like I said before, it's not about who was the better player, it's about who was first in getting MLB to start signing Afican American players. Which may not be right.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:10 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Retiring Robinson's number league-wide is going a bit far, I agree with that. But I don't take that day as honoring Robinson, it's about honoring all the African Americans who pushed to let MLB sign them. It's not Robinson's fault that MLB uses him as the their figure. I agree, they should take that day in honoring more African Americans who came into MLB shortly after Robinson. Like I said before, it's not about who was the better player, it's about who was first in getting MLB to start signing Afican American players. Which may not be right.

Your assessment of what the day should be is one I agree with with. I'm not trying to give the impression that there's anything wrong with Robinson as a person, player, etc., but rather that MLB needs to do a better job educating the populous about all of those who were influential on changing the game to be open for everyone - from Moses Fleetwood Walker all the way to Frank Robinson and Larry Doby (the first and 2nd African American managers) and beyond.

Poor Doby - he was 2nd to play in the modern era and he was 2nd to manage and most people have never heard of him. One historian said being the second to play (in the modern era) is akin to being the second person to invent the telephone. I wouldn't agree with that; however, because everybody knows who Alexander Graham Bell is often remembered for inventing the telephone when in actuality Antonio Meucci invented it - the US House of Representatives finally gave him credit for inventing it in 2002.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm

Wow! in 2002! Too bad Meucci went to his grave long before!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:42 pm

makes you wonder if there's any justice any more...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No. 42 for a day   

Back to top Go down

No. 42 for a day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: