DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 
 

 Who knew?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Age : 55
Location : SE Michigan
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Reputation : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 6:17 am

Falling stars: Blame Cabrera, Verlander for Tigers' decline
Drew Sharp
Detroit Free Press
May 19, 2008


Who knew it?

Sean Casey was the irreplaceable clubhouse savior. Jair Jurrjens was really John Smoltz's fraternal pitching twin and Brandon Inge was the most valuable .230 hitter in major league history.

The only things more ridiculous than the most eagerly awaited Tigers season in my lifetime crashing and burning into flames before Memorial Day are some of the rationalizations for such a humbling fall.

It's not about absent role players or potential No. 3 starters.

It's about the young stars not performing. Period.

Where's Justin Verlander?

Where's Miguel Cabrera?

Any team that gets little to nothing out of its top pitcher and top hitter rarely succeeds because of the negative ripple effect throughout the team. Those aspiring to fill the void press, pushing themselves beyond their capabilities and their production diminishes as well.

Role players fill in the pieces. They complement the stars, but their effectiveness remains largely predicated on the performance of those stars.

If Verlander were 7-1 or 6-2 with an earned run average closer to 3.00 instead of 1-7 with an ERA just north of 6.00, don't you think the entire starting rotation would have benefited? It would have opened opportunities for those to step forward and settle in at the still uncertain No. 2 and No. 3 spots in the rotation. Instead many are attempting to compensate for Verlander's difficulties.

Is that perhaps asking too much of somebody in only his third major league season?

It probably is.

But isn't that precisely why everybody considered Verlander a truly special player?

Cabrera remains an equally special player, regardless of his early disappointment here. He doesn't rank among the league leaders in any significant offensive category, but he remains worth every penny because he and Verlander represent the future as well as the present because they're both 25.

Everyone's looking for blame for a 16-25 record entering this weekend's series against red-hot Arizona. It's a natural reflex considering the massive financial and emotional commitment made to this team this season, but you can't rip Mike Ilitch and Dave Dombrowski for demanding excellence this season with the moves they made.

Criticizing aggressiveness means that you're endorsing fear -- the fear of falling shy of expectation, the fear of failing.

It doesn't make sense though. Have the Tigers ceased drafting? Have they not adequately replaced the prospects they dealt for veterans they thought would get them a World Series championship?

You can't attack Ilitch, Dombrowski and Jim Leyland for executing a plan that failed, especiall when some contiually forgive William Clay Ford and Matt Millen when the Lions fail because of the lack of a logical blueprint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Age : 46
Location : Switzerland
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)
Reputation : 2
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 7:25 am

laprimamirala wrote:
[
Sean Casey was the irreplaceable clubhouse savior. Jair Jurrjens was really John Smoltz's fraternal pitching twin and Brandon Inge was the most valuable .230 hitter in major league history.
Crying or Very sad how true. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Age : 55
Location : SE Michigan
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Reputation : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 7:30 am

hey swiss!
I totally agree with this article. Should be retitled, "Why does greed have to mess with a good thing?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Age : 32
Location : Warren, MI
Reputation : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Just another Drew Sharp article I disagree with...


bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Age : 55
Location : SE Michigan
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Reputation : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
Just another Drew Sharp article I disagree with...

please expound?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Age : 32
Location : Warren, MI
Reputation : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 11:00 am

laprimamirala wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
Just another Drew Sharp article I disagree with...

please expound?

Drew Sharp is probably the worst Tigers writer for the Free Press. I disagree with about 90% of what he writes.

As far as this particular article; Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera are young. The reason for their not succeeding has to be blamed on the coaches. If they were veterans, like Rogers, then no, they should have to figure it out on their own. If the Tigers still had Jurrjens I would be inclined to think that he would also be suffering just like Verlander because of the differing pitching coach. The reason for the Tigers losing is not because they've replaced Jurrjens, Casey and Inge with Willis, Cabrera and Renteria (again, if you look on paper, it's an improvement). The hitting coach and pitching coach get blamed for their underachieving. Leyland gets blamed for not motivating them to work together as a team.


bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Age : 55
Location : SE Michigan
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Reputation : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 11:49 am

Good on paper, bad in reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Age : 55
Location : Other, but I LIKE it here!!
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Reputation : 25
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 3:11 pm

This team needs a "personnel" shake-up, starting with the coaches....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Age : 55
Location : SE Michigan
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Reputation : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 3:24 pm

This was a blog entry on the freep:

"The Detroit Tigers won the 2008 ALCS and World Series during Spring training in Lakeland (with the medias help) a few months ago. They're barnstorming now where they can show off their new players which won it all in Lakeland. They look very comfortable and complacent on the field in their losing ways (do these games count ?) Someone must tell the team that the real season has once again started ."


exactly how I felt watching them down there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Age : 32
Location : Warren, MI
Reputation : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Wait...These games count? :shrug:


bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Location : I'm movin' to Florida...
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Reputation : 0
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 5:29 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Wait...These games count? :shrug:

I hope not Smack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Age : 55
Location : SE Michigan
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Reputation : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   Mon May 19, 2008 6:17 pm

they didn't act like it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Who knew?   

Back to top Go down
 
Who knew?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» You knew it had to happen............
» Our Pioneers Knew Their Ovens Newspaper Article.
» Did Shawn Michaels fake it???????
» How did the oldtimers know
» Ariel Helwani interview with Chael Sonnen - funny

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Team Discussion & Game Day Posts-
Jump to: