DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Leyland will honor pace of game memo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 22, 2008 10:47 pm

05/22/2008 2:45 PM ET
Tigers manager not happy about new orders but will obey
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers will comply with Major League Baseball's attempts to speed up the pace of the game. But that doesn't mean manager Jim Leyland is happy about doing it.

A conference call with Major League general managers earlier this week brought about a memo from MLB Commissioner Bud Selig instructing umpires and club officials to follow existing rules to speed up the pace of the game. The enforcement starts Friday, and president/general manager Dave Dombrowski will brief players before the game on what to expect.

Leyland has already heard the details. And while he stated his respect for Selig and his efforts, he doesn't agree with the focus.

"Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the Commissioner," Leyland said. "I like him. He's a friend of mine, and I know he's doing what he thinks is best for the game. But at the same time, I don't have to agree with it."

He certainly understands it's a sensitive topic, but he doesn't agree that pace of game is an issue. His point was that the result and the quality of a game determine a lot about how it feels to go along, not just the pace.

"You know what?" Leyland said. "It's a no-win situation when you talk about it. I don't like it. I've always said, and you can quote me on this, that to me, a baseball game is like a movie. If it's a good movie, you stay. If it's a bad movie, you leave."

Among the measures detailed in an MLB release is a request to umpires to break up conferences on the mound more quickly, "especially when the visitor is not prompt to the mound."

Leyland interpreted that as an order for managers to be prompt as they come out to the mound. Coincidentally, he was jogging out to the mound at a brisker pace than normal as he made his pitching changes Wednesday night, a point which he made to reporters Thursday morning.

Still, he has his limits.

"They want me to run on and off the mound," Leyland said. "I smoke three packs a day."

It was an up-front discussion that Leyland had on the matter. He went on to talk about the many moves that managers make to slow down a game as part of a strategy, whether it's to get a pitcher ready in the bullpen or to quiet a rally. Those weren't specifically mentioned in the release, but Leyland made a point to say he'll continue to do them.

"I'm going to throw over to first base," Leyland said. "If I think a guy's stealing, I'm going to mess with him. Well, that takes time. Sometimes you'll see the umpire and fans [react], but my job is to try to win the game. I'm not on a time scale. We don't have a clock like football and basketball. I'm out here to try to win the game. That's as simple as it is.

"Every once in a while, all managers get a guy up [when] a guy gets in a little trouble real quick and you have to get a guy going, so you might send Pudge [Rodriguez] out to talk to him. There's no secret about that. Or I might walk out once real slow to give him extra time and come back. That's all part of the strategy of the game, and I think they're taking away from that when they do that. I don't think it's good."

Also among the recommended changes was to enforce the eight-pitch limit a pitcher is allowed to throw before an inning and when a reliever enters the game.

"You can't fight City Hall," Leyland said. "But you know what, then? When the pitcher goes out between innings and throws his eight [warmup] pitches, forget the two minutes and all that when you're waiting for television [to get out of a commercial break] and start the game, if you want to know the truth. But obviously they pay the bills, so you can't fight City Hall. TV's going to pay the bills, and I understand that, so I'm not looking for trouble."

He repeated that part about not seeking trouble later.

"I'm not looking for trouble," he said again. "I honor whatever the Commissioner does. If he wants me to do jumping jacks on the way to the mound, I'll do it. I'll do a cartwheel. I'll be glad to do it. I might look like a fool.

"Sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone. And if the Commissioner feels that it's not well enough, that we could be doing something else to make it better, I'll respect it fully and I'll honor it."

That said, he reserves his right to disagree.

"You know what?" he said. "And you can quote me on this: Basically, it's silly stuff. That's what it is, silly. And I have the utmost respect for the Commissioner trying to do what he believes is best for baseball, and I honor it. And I will honor it, and I will jog to the mound. I'll trot out."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female
Number of posts : 394
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Pudge, Clete Thomas, Granderson...
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 22, 2008 11:07 pm

This is what I think of pace of game crap
fingers

Have we gone that far as a country?? Really??
Baseball is beautiful in the fact that we don't play by clocks.
We play until someone wins dammit.

fingers Selig...you have no idea what makes baseball the beautiful dance of strategy and prowess that this game is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/rickireed
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 22, 2008 11:13 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

"I smoke three packs a day."

Well that isn't Selig's fault.

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

"I smoke three packs a day."

Well that isn't Selig's fault.

Gotta remember, Jimmy probably grew up in an era where Smoking was recommended by physicians, he's just pointing out that he's not going to be running a marathon any time soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 am

I don't think the Tigers have abused this rule, but I have seen other teams make the game long due to their bending of the rules. I don't blame Leyland for complaining. I just hope he draws attention to opponents that deliberately play games with the time.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 12:44 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I don't think the Tigers have abused this rule, but I have seen other teams make the game long due to their bending of the rules. I don't blame Leyland for complaining. I just hope he draws attention to opponents that deliberately play games with the time.

Same here. And I know that some games can drag on, but that's just a baseball game being a baseball game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 12:54 am

Thursday, May 22, 2008
Faster games: Leyland will honor MLB's 'silly' requests
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- By making his trips to and from the mound faster, Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Thursday he'll abide by Major League Baseball's recent directive to speed up the pace of the games.

MLB issued a release Wednesday concerning ways that a faster pace will be enforced. Among them was: "Conferences on the pitcher's mound will be broken up more quickly, especially when the visitor is not prompt to the mound."

Leyland is often the visitor. But he said that means he's been requested to "jog" to the mound.

"I don't like it," Leyland said of the directive, "because to me a baseball game is like a movie. If it's a good movie, you stay. If it's a bad movie, you leave.

"They want me to run to the mound. I smoke three packs a day -- and they want me to run back and forth to the mound? What the heck is going on?

"You can't fight city hall, but you know what, when the pitcher goes out between innings to throw his eight pitches, forget the two minutes or whatever you're waiting for television and start the game. TV is one of the things that holds it up.

"Television pays the bill and I understand that," said Leyland, "so I'm not looking for trouble. But I don't think the fans care. If the Tigers win, they won't care how long it takes. If they lose, they'll either leave early or be angry when they leave.

"But if I have Todd Jones coming in from the bullpen, we'll need to get a golf cart.

"Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for Commissioner (Bud) Selig. I like him, he's a friend of mine and I know that he's doing what he thinks is best for the game. But I don't have to agree with him.

"If I think a guy's stealing, I'm going to throw to first base. If I think someone's stealing, I'm going to mess with him. That takes time. My job is to try to win the game. We don't have a clock like football and basketball.

"They're going to enforce a lot of this stuff. You can quote me, it's silly stuff. But I will honor it, and I'll jog to the mound -- and if I have a heart attack, my wife will sue Bud Selig. Just kidding about that, but I think they're messing with the game and they don't need to mess with the game.

"I think they should leave well enough alone. I don't know who's complaining. I never hear anyone complain about the time of the game. But I'll honor whatever the commissioner does.

"If he wants me to do jumping jacks to the mound, I'll do them. A cartwheel? I'll be glad to do it. But I'll look like a fool."

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 12:58 am

Detroit News wrote:
"But if I have Todd Jones coming in from the bullpen, we'll need to get a golf cart.

True, but I remember many teams in the past using a golf cart.

Detroit News wrote:
"They're going to enforce a lot of this stuff. You can quote me, it's silly stuff. But I will honor it, and I'll jog to the mound -- and if I have a heart attack, my wife will sue Bud Selig. Just kidding about that, but I think they're messing with the game and they don't need to mess with the game.

I would sue if I was his wife!

Detroit News wrote:
"If he wants me to do jumping jacks to the mound, I'll do them. A cartwheel? I'll be glad to do it. But I'll look like a fool."

Don't think I believe that LMAO

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Detroit News wrote:

Don't think I believe that LMAO

But I've love to see it... LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 2:18 am

I doubt he could do a cartwheel. I'm much younger than Leyland and haven't smoked 3 packs in my life and I can't do a cartwheel (at least I don't think, I'm not dumb enough to try).

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:05 am

catbox_9 wrote:
I doubt he could do a cartwheel. I'm much younger than Leyland and haven't smoked 3 packs in my life and I can't do a cartwheel (at least I don't think, I'm not dumb enough to try).

Spoiler:

I can do a cartwheel... LMAO Not a very graceful one...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 am

I haven't sworn off alcohol but I very rarely drink it. I'm confused though. By my count the drinks I had tonight must have totaled 8 shots of liquor but I feel normal. How do you know if you're drunk? Shouldn't it be easy to tell? I mean, after that much alcohol I must be drunk, right? Why don't I feel any different? Something must be wrong with me, right?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:36 am

catbox_9 wrote:
I haven't sworn off alcohol but I very rarely drink it. I'm confused though. By my count the drinks I had tonight must have totaled 8 shots of liquor but I feel normal. How do you know if you're drunk? Shouldn't it be easy to tell? I mean, after that much alcohol I must be drunk, right? Why don't I feel any different? Something must be wrong with me, right?

Iron liver? You're asking the girl who took one sip of a screwdriver and got dizzy (one of my many reasons for swearing that stuff off).

Maybe you are drunk and you just don't know it? Drunk denial!

Last edited by TigerLily on Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 6:50 am

catbox_9 wrote:
well, maybe not. You are young and your metabolism is much quicker...or you overestimated the alcohol in your drinks!!
Two definitions of intoxication= how you feel and a breathalyzer test. I should know...worked in ERs for 10 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 1:09 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
well, maybe not. You are young and your metabolism is much quicker...or you overestimated the alcohol in your drinks!!
Two definitions of intoxication= how you feel and a breathalyzer test. I should know...worked in ERs for 10 years.

Well for sure I wouldn't have tried driving. We walked everywhere we went. Drunk driving tickets cost way too much. If I have one drink I might consider driving...especially if I waited a little bit but anything after 1 and I wouldn't risk it. Still, I didn't feel different and didn't wake up sick. I won't complain about that last part though Big Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 1:30 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

If you ate a lot of food, that will greatly lessen the affect of the alcohol. Food absorbs a lot of it and you won't feel as buzzed or drunk. I wouldn't drink any more than that though catbox!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 1:35 pm

They may have watered down your drinks! Also, if you ate food, it will make the effects less. I would not push it though.

I remember once going to a high school grad party in MI, when the drinking age was 18, and I had 12 screwdrivers in 5 hours. I know they were strong, and I was able to drive the 1/2 mile home fine. I could walk fine, but if I had to stand still long, I really felt it and I know I was drunk!bBut like you said, I did not think it had effected me, but if I had to take a test, I would have failed! You don't always know when you are drunk. And, by the way, I was not hung over the next day either!

I no longer drink, and after seeing so many drunk driving crashes in this (hilly) area of Ohio, I am very much against drinking and driving for anyone! Each time the drunk (or just buzzed) driver said they did not feel drunk, yet tell that to the families that had members killed by those "I was not drunk" drivers!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:02 pm

scratch Wasn't this topic about pace of game rules? LMAO

And yeah, I'm with lap and gogetem on this. It's probably a combo of being young and food (or the watered down bit, it really wouldn't shock me).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:04 pm

just goes to show the thread topic doesn't always stay there! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Didn't the umps take out a stopwatch last year during some Tiger game because the other pitcher was so damn slow? I think it was against the White Sox??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:05 pm

laprimamirala wrote:

Does it ever? :shrug:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:06 pm

SoulRat wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

nah! makes it far more interesting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:07 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

nah! makes it far more interesting!

Nod lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Well it's probably good for me that the subject changed a little bit.

I was pretty wound up about it last night....
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm

you were!!! it was kinda refreshing to see you get steamed about our Tigs!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 pm

I even SWORE and used CUSS words Mad ...Don't tell my kids! whistle
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:25 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Didn't the umps take out a stopwatch last year during some Tiger game because the other pitcher was so damn slow? I think it was against the White Sox??

I can't remember if it was the Sox or the Indians... I'm thinking maybe the Indians? At any rate, I remember that there was a lot of trolls over on the other board bitching about it at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 pm

It may have been the Indians. I can't remember. I remember Rod and Mario laughing though :haha:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 3:48 pm

I didn't have that much food - just a sandwich and fries. I guess alcohol doesn't like me or something :shrug: Oh well. I don't drink much, or at all, for that matter. It's way too expensive. I didn't pay yesterday as I was with my mom ashamed and she was all excited about taking her son out to bars with my neighbor and her son (who is also 21) Rolling Eyes

We live downtown though so you don't have to worry about us drinking and driving. We went to a couple bars all within a block or two of our house.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:12 pm

How does anyone feel on the subject of instant replay?

MLB is gonna try and do it in the fall league;

And in the Baseball Classic next spring!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next