DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Leyland will honor pace of game memo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 pm

gs78 wrote:
How does anyone feel on the subject of instant replay?

MLB is gonna try and do it in the fall league;

And in the Baseball Classic next spring!

BOO! :puke2:

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female
Number of posts : 394
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Pudge, Clete Thomas, Granderson...
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 pm

I am thinking Selig will not go for it...especially since apparently he thinks the games are lasting too long now.

I have mixed feelings on the instant replay...I kind of like the fact that we rely on the human eye. But there are too many calls missed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/rickireed
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:14 pm

gs78 wrote:
How does anyone feel on the subject of instant replay?

MLB is gonna try and do it in the fall league;

And in the Baseball Classic next spring!

I think it'd interfere with those pace of game rules, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea. All of those close outs at home would become a non-issue. It'd also eliminate cruddy Umps...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:18 pm

They should get rid of the cruddy umps.

Then have the rest of them wear coats and dress shirts again.

Get rid of the silly softball umpire garb that does not even match most of the time.

The last Two Home Games the Plate Umpire wore a black long sleeve shirt while the base umps wore pullover jackets.

If they insist on wearing them dumb looking uniforms; why can't all four wear jackets or all four wear long sleeve black shirts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:19 pm

At least they would match.

NBA, NHL and NFL officials wear matching uniforms; why not baseball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:23 pm

I don't know, I think most of the time the umps get it right, but I think it would be a good idea on homeruns. Every park has it's own rules on HRs and they have gotten it wrong a few times already this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 4:24 pm

I guess it will depend on how it works in the fall league and next spring.

I wonder if they will show replays of disputed plays on the scoreboard while the umps review it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 23, 2008 5:03 pm

gs78 wrote:
I guess it will depend on how it works in the fall league and next spring.

I wonder if they will show replays of disputed plays on the scoreboard while the umps review it?

I like the replay on the scoreboard video idea!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Sat May 24, 2008 2:24 am

It really helped speed the game up tonight!

NOT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Sat May 24, 2008 9:14 am

I was finally glad to see a fiery Leland stand up for his players!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Sat May 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Screw Hunter Wendelstendt!

Only reason he is a MLB Umpire is because his dad Harry was one for 30 years!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 pm

TigerLily wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
Didn't the umps take out a stopwatch last year during some Tiger game because the other pitcher was so damn slow? I think it was against the White Sox??

I can't remember if it was the Sox or the Indians... I'm thinking maybe the Indians? At any rate, I remember that there was a lot of trolls over on the other board bitching about it at the time.

You're right....it was a game vs. the Indians. If memory serves me right. it was Rafael Bentencourt that really took his time in between pitches, and the umps weren't happy about it. He'd take a good long look in, and then it took him about 10 seconds to get set. They said he's supposed to only take 12 seconds to throw the pitch from the time he gets the ball from the catcher.

After writing my reply....I found this little article about it.

Notes: Betancourt methodical on moundReliever chastised by umpires in Tuesday's game vs. Detroit

DETROIT -- It took Michelangelo four years to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
It takes Rafael Betancourt nearly that long to pitch an inning of a baseball game.

Hey, sometimes great works take time. At least, that's Betancourt's rationale.

And though the umpiring crew in Tuesday night's game against the Tigers docked him twice with an automatic ball call for exceeding his time limit between pitches with no one on base, the slow-working Betancourt has no intention of altering his approach.

"I'm not going to change the way I pitch," he said. "When I'm pitching, I'm not counting how many seconds it is between pitches."

But on Tuesday, second-base umpire Doug Eddings was. Eddings used a stopwatch to determine that Betancourt broke one of baseball's rarely enforced rules. Rule 8.04 states that when the bases are empty, a pitcher must deliver a pitch within 12 seconds of receiving the ball from the catcher. The count begins when the pitcher has the ball and the batter is in the box, "alert to the pitcher."

In the eighth inning, with the Indians and Tigers locked in a 4-4 tie, Betancourt was assessed an automatic ball for breaking that rule while in an 0-2 count with Carlos Guillen. That prompted manager Eric Wedge to charge out on the field and argue the call, almost to the point of an ejection.

"That's the first time that's been called all year, and we're at the All-Star break," Wedge said. "That's ridiculous. Guillen was in and out of the box 10 times. If he's going to do that, every time he steps out, you should start over with the stopwatch."

The rule was enforced on Betancourt again in the ninth, turning a 2-2 count on Brandon Inge into a full count.

That the umps were even counting the seconds between pitches seemed fishy to Wedge. After the game, he speculated that Tigers manager Jim Leyland might have asked the umpires to time Betancourt.

But after speaking with Leyland before Wednesday's game, Wedge said his fellow skipper had assured him that wasn't the case. Wedge hinted that the Commissioner's Office could have tipped off the umpiring crew to look for the infraction.

"Jim didn't have anything to do with it," Wedge said. "Someone gave them a heads-up, and they were ready for it. Who knows why? The important thing is... let 'em play. At that point in the game, talk about getting involved and disrupting the ballgame unnecessarily."

Betancourt didn't let the drama prevent him from pitching a pair of scoreless innings.

"I won't name names, but I see a lot of guys take a long time in the big leagues, and [the umpires] don't say anything," he said. "It's kind of hard to worry about something else when you have to face a big-league hitter."

Nor does Wedge want his setup man worrying about the ticking of the clock.

"I want Raffy to pitch the way Raffy pitches," he said.

Slow and steady it is, then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Ah Betancourt! That's right! I think that was the same game (or series) where they got into a yelling match over Hafner (or Heffer, as I like to call him) intentionally standing outside of the batter's box. Stupid Cleveland.

I'm not sure what Wedge got so hot about. It wasn't like the umps went and grabbed stopwatches just because Betancourt came out. They probably had them all game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Leave the pace of the game alone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 1:47 am

TigerLily wrote:
Ah Betancourt! That's right! I think that was the same game (or series) where they got into a yelling match over Hafner (or Heffer, as I like to call him) intentionally standing outside of the batter's box. Stupid Cleveland.

I'm not sure what Wedge got so hot about. It wasn't like the umps went and grabbed stopwatches just because Betancourt came out. They probably had them all game.

Yep....that was the same series. My, what a memory you have! lol. I think the reason the were getting pissy about it is that "Heffer" had his foot behind where the back of the batters box was supposed to be, but he dug it out so much planting his foot you couldn't see where the lines were, and he was interfering with Pudge.

I think Wedge had his tidy-whities in a bunch that time because of the ordeal with Bentancourt. He felt like the kid on the playground getting bullied.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 1:55 am

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
TigerLily wrote:

Yep....that was the same series. My, what a memory you have! lol. I think the reason the were getting pissy about it is that "Heffer" had his foot behind where the back of the batters box was supposed to be, but he dug it out so much planting his foot you couldn't see where the lines were, and he was interfering with Pudge.

I think Wedge had his tidy-whities in a bunch that time because of the ordeal with Bentancourt. He felt like the kid on the playground getting bullied.

lol Believe me, I'm just as shocked that I remembered that.

Yeah, Haf scuffed out the chalk... not that Sheff hasn't done that whistle

I don't have a beef with Wedge. I don't like it when it feels like our guys are being bullied and it sucks to feel targeted (but damn it, Betancourt took FOREVER).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Yeah, Sheff is guilty of that, too. But....When you look at the career numbers of someone like Sheff and look at someone with Pudge's reputation as a catcher (not to mention how LONG they have played in the Bigs)...then some young punk like Hafner tries to do the same thing...he's going to get nailed on it.

Sheff can get away with it because of how long he's played the game and his reputation as a power hitter. Hafner had 1 good year, and now he thinks he's Babe Ruth? Puh-lease! Hafner needs to put together 6 or 7 years of consistant power numbers before the umps (or Pudge) let him get away with something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female
Number of posts : 394
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Pudge, Clete Thomas, Granderson...
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:34 pm

What does everyone think my beloved Sean Casey is doing between every at bat?

He is always pushing the patience of the pitchers the way he steps out, adjusts his gloves, stretches and then and only then will he step back into the batters box.
:nahnah:
I miss seeing that, maybe we could teach Clete to do that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/rickireed
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

there's a reason they do it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:36 pm

LOL yeah....and thats the beauty of baseball! There are certain players that have paid their dues and made a name for themselves that can get away with things like that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:55 pm

I like 3 hour baseball games.

Especially on Friday and Saturday Nights;

Nice and dark for the fireworks.

But Selig won't be happy until games end at 9:05 and it is still light outside

Fuck Selig!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Die Selig Die!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 3:59 pm

he's old enough, he might soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:00 pm

then again, any of us might!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Not Me!

I probably live another 70 miserable years or so!

If I were smart, I leave work, head for Canada and never look back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Probably have to work until I am 80!

Feel like I am in Alcatraz or something!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Work Sucks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:11 pm

the curse of man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Yes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   Fri May 30, 2008 4:18 pm

unless you like your work so much that it's not really work...then you are fortunate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland will honor pace of game memo   

Back to top Go down

Leyland will honor pace of game memo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next