DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

From the FSN Daily Wire

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Detroit Tigers Notes, Quotes by Sports Xchange
tiger

Updated: June 5, 2008, 4:00 AM EST
SS Ramon Santiago was forced from Wednesday's game in the seventh inning with a separated left shoulder suffered when he dove for a hit up the middle. Santiago lay in pain face-down on the turf after hitting the ground and left the game with Detroit's trainer, holding an immobile left arm. He will undergo X-rays Thursday when the Tigers return to Detroit and probably will be placed on the disabled list. Santiago was in the lineup to give regular SS Edgar Renteria a day off.

--LHP Casey Fossum failed to retire any of the four batters he faced in relief Wednesday and could be vulnerable as Detroit gets closer to bringing disabled pitchers back to active duty. Fossum was just brought up from Class AAA Toledo on Tuesday and pitched in relief that night. He gave up two hits on curveballs that were low in the strike zone, part of a six-run inning by Oakland that put the game out of Detroit's reach in the seventh.
--LHP Nate Robertson worked three scoreless innings Wednesday before the strain of dealing with baserunners caught up with him. Oakland scored once in the fourth, twice in the fifth and once more in the sixth to deal Robertson his sixth loss. His fastball and slider were good, but the Athletics seemed to catch on to his pitching pattern the third time through the batting order, and he didn't adjust back. And every time he made a mistake, it was turned into a hit.

--C Ivan Rodriguez made the final out of Wednesday's game, fanning on a high fastball, then reportedly took a bat to several objects in the Detroit dugout. Rodriguez has been chasing a lot of high fastballs lately, especially with two strikes, and his batting average is down to .249.

--UT Brandon Inge has been held out of Detroit's lineup all week because of a strained oblique muscle. Manager Jim Leyland doesn't want to play Inge and risk aggravating the injury because he has no other experienced catcher backing up Ivan Rodriguez. Inge could play defense but could not swing a bat effectively because of the injury. "The problem is that it's a muscle that's used in everything you do as a ballplayer," Inge said. "Swinging, throwing, everything. When you swing, it's the muscle that triggers the first move you make." Detroit is off Thursday, so Inge might be ready to play this weekend after not having seen action since Sunday.

--LHP Clay Rapada (biceps tendinitis) threw a successful six-minute bullpen session Monday. He threw mostly fastballs, but some curves and changeups as well. "It felt good," Rapada said. He was scheduled to throw again Wednesday, but there is no timetable for his return.

--DH/1B Jeff Larish appears to be overmatched at this time. He looks a little late on fastballs and his batting average has sunk to .105. He tapped a two-strike pitch to short for a double play with the bases loaded and one out Wednesday after the Tigers had scored twice in the sixth to cut the Athletics' lead to 3-2. He was 0-for-4 in the game.

BY THE NUMBERS: 0 -- Games outside the infield Carlos Guillen had played until making his debut in left field on June 1.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "This is probably the first year I've managed where I have two pieces that fit the same part of the puzzle and maybe a piece that doesn't fit and leaves a void somewhere. But it keeps you on your toes. It keeps you working." -- Manager Jim Leyland, on his continuing to tinker with the Tigers' lineup in an effort to get the offense producing on a consistent basis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Quote :
His fastball and slider were good, but the
Athletics seemed to catch on to his pitching pattern the third time
through the batting order, and he didn't adjust back. And every time he
made a mistake, it was turned into a hit.

At least Rogers, with all his years of experence, knows that you have to keep changing to trick the batters. Nate SHOULD know better.... but what is new!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:54 pm

June 6, 2008

--OF Clete Thomas has a twisted right ankle that might limit his mobility for another day or two. The injury could influence the Tigers to bring up an outfielder for the short term.

--INF Ramon Santiago went home with his left arm in a sling to protect a separated shoulder and is probably headed for the disabled list Friday. X-rays and further examination were scheduled for Thursday. "When it happened, it was very painful," Santiago said after injuring himself Wednesday. The Tigers are in a bit of a bind because they have no infielders on their 40-man roster currently in the minors to easily call up. They may bring up a catcher or outfielder and tough it out with UT Brandon Inge as the backup shortstop and UT Ryan Raburn as the alternate second baseman.
--LHP Kenny Rogers will leapfrog RHP Jeremy Bonderman this weekend so he can resume pitching between RHPs Justin Verlander and Bonderman. The two were switched early this week so the Tigers could line up three left-handers at Oakland. Rogers will pitch Saturday while Bonderman will go Sunday with two extra days of rest.

--RHP Denny Bautista, out since early May with biceps tendinitis, probably will be brought back from a rehab assignment Friday, according to manager Jim Leyland. Bautista has fanned seven and allowed just one earned run in 6 1/3 innings for Class AAA Toledo.

--LHP Casey Fossum, whom the Tigers just purchased from Toledo, may be cut to make room for RHP Denny Bautista when Bautista completes his rehab assignment. Fossum has appeared in two games and five of the six batters he has faced have had base hits.

--UT Brandon Inge has not played since Sunday due to a strained oblique muscle, but the Tigers hope he'll be able to swing a bat this weekend against Cleveland. Manager Jim Leyland had Inge set to play defense Tuesday if the Tigers took a one-run lead late but wasn't going to let him bat. Inge felt he might be able to play Friday if necessary. "I feel the same as yesterday," Inge said Wednesday afternoon. "They say that's a good sign."

BY THE NUMBERS: 0 -- Games outside the infield Carlos Guillen had played until making his debut in left field on June 1.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "This is probably the first year I've managed where I have two pieces that fit the same part of the puzzle and maybe a piece that doesn't fit and leaves a void somewhere. But it keeps you on your toes. It keeps you working." -- Manager Jim Leyland, on his continuing to tinker with the Tigers' lineup in an effort to get the offense producing on a consistent basis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:09 pm

June 9, 2008

--RHP Jeremy Bonderman will be evaluated to determine if surgery to remove a rib is necessary in order to prevent a recurrence of the blood clot that landed him on the disabled list Saturday. "It was scary and I knew something was wrong when my arm swelled up," Bonderman said. "I'm sore, but I'm all right. I'm done for awhile, I know that." Bonderman, 25, underwent a thromblysis to break up the clot Friday night, followed by an angioplasty Saturday morning at the Detroit Medical Center. Tigers head trainer Kevin Rand said if a surgery is required and a rib must be removed, Bonderman "will probably be lost for the season."

--LHP Kenny Rogers had both procedures at different stages of his career and said it was "something that could have been lethal. He's lucky because he'll feel better. He'll be better and have a significant improvement in blood flow. When they take the rib out, he's going to throw better. His velocity will be back. That was probably why he was losing velocity. He'll be better. I gained 3-4 mph on my fastball after that."

--RHP Armando Galarraga jumped into RHP Jeremy Bonderman's spot in the rotation Sunday and turned in a strong performance for five innings. Galarraga, who has made nine of his 10 appearances as a starter, was throwing first-pitch strikes the first time through the Cleveland lineup but struggled thereafter and finally was taken out after walking his only two batters in the sixth. In 5 2/3 innings Galarraga allowed just four hits and two runs with four strikeouts. He is the only Detroit starter above .500 at 5-2.

--LHP Dontrelle Willis starts Monday for Detroit and likely will be a fixture in the rotation the rest of the season unless he starts walking batters in bunches. So far Willis has kept his control problem under control by limiting hits, making bases on balls minimally damaging. He walked five in his first start back last week but only gave up two hits.

--CF Curtis Granderson started against a left-handed starter Sunday but was slotted ninth in the batting order due to a .154 average against southpaws. Naturally, he slammed a 3-2 pitch the other way for a home run his first time at bat. He'll probably hit ninth Monday as Cleveland starts LHP Cliff Lee.

--RHP Freddy Dolsi is making a strong case to survive the cuts when Detroit's injured pitchers start trickling back. Dolsi used heaters in the 96-98 mph range to strike out two straight Cleveland batters in the eighth inning Sunday when he was brought into a bases-loaded, one-out situation. More important than the velocity, the fastballs had a little late jump to them. Yes, he has just a handful of Class AA innings in his short career, but he shows no fear and throws lasers with light -- so he might stay.

--2B Placido Polanco, a .350 two-strike hitter last season, stroked a two-strike, two-run single to left in the fourth inning Sunday to complete a three-run inning that gave Detroit enough of a lead to defeat Cleveland. Polanco shortens up on the bat and with his batting stroke with two strikes and that makes him a tough out in the clutch. That plus the fact he's the toughest batter to strike out in the league.

--1B Miguel Cabrera might be snapping out of his season-long hitting doldrums, if you can call a .274 batting average shabby. Cabrera lined a 2-2 pitch to right for a two-out RBI single in the first inning and took other aggressive swings at fastballs in counts where he had been either taking or launching lazy swings that resulted strikeouts or soft ball outs. He was 5-for-22 with three RBIs last week.

--LHP Clay Rapada was activated Sunday after just one rehabilitation appearance. Rapada, 2-0 with a 4.50 ERA in 10 innings earlier this season with Detroit, has recovered from biceps tendinitis. He was brought back because the Tigers became short-handed in their bullpen with the loss of starting RHP Jeremy Bonderman. He gives Detroit three southpaws in the bullpen, so probably one will go when RHP Fernando Rodney is due to return, possibly this week. Rapada pitched two-thirds of an inning for Toledo, taking the loss when he began the eighth with two walks and allowing one earned run. "At first I don't know what I was doing, but then I found my release point and I was able to throw all my pitches for strikes," Rapada said. "I'm pretty happy with it. As the inning progressed, everything got a lot smoother, I was getting more action on my ball. In the beginning, I was trying too hard, trying to do too much too soon. I had good sink on my fastball, my arm responded good and I'm ready to go."

--RHP Aquilino Lopez won't be returning from the bereavement list Monday as planned. "There's been a setback there," Leyland said. Lopez has gone home to be with his gravely ill father.

BY THE NUMBERS: 2 -- Detroit pitchers (LHP Kenny Rogers and RHP Jeremy Bonderman) who have had blood clots in their pitching shoulders in the last two years.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Tell them I'm not dead yet. It was definitely cool. All the guys texted me last night. It's nice to have their support." -- RHP Jeremy Bonderman, who saw his jersey hanging from the dugout ceiling Saturday when he came back from the hospital in the seventh inning. His teammates hung the jersey in a show of support for Bonderman, who had a blood clot in his shoulder broken up Friday night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Wow.

Seems like our Tigers are turning it around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:43 am

Quote :
--LHP Dontrelle Willis starts Monday for Detroit and likely will be a fixture in the rotation the rest of the season unless he starts walking batters in bunches. So far Willis has kept his control problem under control by limiting hits, making bases on balls minimally damaging. He walked five in his first start back last week but only gave up two hits.

This was OBVIOUSLY written before Monday's game! lol2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 am

very much before! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:05 pm

June 10, 2008

--LHP Dontrelle Willis is really fighting himself now. Willis walked the first two batters he faced Monday night, then served up a cookie on a 3-1 pitch that went for a three-run home run. He gave up a walk and a home run as part of Cleveland's five-run second inning. Willis walked five in 1 1/3 innings and was charged with all eight runs. He throws a few pitches in the right spot but it's apparent the inability to throw strikes consistently is preying on his mind. "Dontrelle did not have a good night," manager Jim Leyland said. "He didn't throw strikes and when he eased up, he gave up two long balls. End of discussion."

--CF Curtis Granderson hit ninth again Monday night with Cleveland starting a left-handed pitcher. Granderson is hitting less than .200 against lefties but his manager knows he's so important to Detroit's offense he needs to be in there all the time. Hitting him last takes some of the pressure off Granderson.

--2B Placido Polanco is heating up at the plate again. Polanco had four hits Monday night; three singles and a double. Two were pulled to left. Last year, Polanco went the other way a lot because that's where he was pitched. But later on in the season, pitchers started jamming him, so Polanco made the adjustment and started pulling the ball more, which has continued this season. He has had three four-hit and a five-hit game this season.

--OF Brent Clevlen became the eighth Detroit player to start in left field this season when he took the field in the first inning Monday night. Only four of those players are still on the Tigers' active roster -- Clevlen, Marcus Thames (18 starts), Carlos Guillen (two) and Ryan Raburn (one). Gary Sheffield and Clete Thomas are on the disabled list, Matt Joyce is in the minors, and Jacque Jones was released.

--LHP Clay Rapada faced just one batter over the minimum for a three-inning relief stint Monday night. Rapada was making his first appearance since coming off the disabled list.

--IF Michael Hollimon made his major league debut Monday night. Hollimon was inserted for the ninth inning as the replacement for Edgar Renteria at shortstop. He came up for his first major league at-bat in the bottom of the ninth and hit a pop foul out to third. Hollimon was signed as a shortstop but had played second base at Toledo this season.

--UT Brandon Inge will be alternating behind the plate with slumping C Ivan Rodriguez for the time being. "I'm going to catch them every other day for a while," Leyland said. Rodriguez is 4-for-35 (.114) right now. "We're trying to give Pudge (Rodriguez) a little more rest. I'm not saying he's tired, but hopefully this will keep him a little fresher." Inge will only start at third base when he's not catching and 3B Carlos Guillen needs a day off from playing third. A week ago, it looked like Inge was going to play third more often instead of less. "Inge needs to catch," Leyland said. "We have to find out if he can do it. I'm sure it won't make Pudge happy. He's a gamer. He wants to play every day, but sometimes you have to do what you think is best. It's not easy to catch as much as Pudge has caught. He's in as good shape as anyone we have, but when you've caught that much, that goes for anybody, you get run down. I think that's one of the reasons his average has fallen off."

--RHP Aquilino Lopez is expected back Tuesday from the bereavement list, which he was placed on so he could be with his gravely ill father. If Lopez makes it back by game time, the Tigers will have to cut another pitcher.

BY THE NUMBERS: 2 -- Detroit pitchers (LHP Kenny Rogers and RHP Jeremy Bonderman) who have had blood clots in their pitching shoulders in the last two years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:16 pm

June 11, 2008

--LHP Nate Robertson protected his lead Tuesday night and turned it into a victory. Detroit scored three in the fifth inning to take a 4-2 lead, and Robertson didn't give up a run until leaving in the seventh with the bases loaded and one out. One of his runners scored. Robertson was working inside with his fastball and kept hitters off balance with his slider. He gave up eight hits in 6 1/3 innings.

--1B Miguel Cabrera could be putting his tentative early season ways behind him. Cabrera had three hits Tuesday night, including a double, to drive in two runs. His two-out single to center drove in two runs and capped a three-run fifth inning. He's hitting in the clutch again, like he did in the National League, and driving the ball with authority. His uptick began during the weekend against Cleveland.
--2B Placido Polanco had another three-hit game Tuesday night, nudging his batting average up to .297. Polanco started the season poorly due to a bad back, but he has been hot for increasingly longer stretches of time over the past month.

--RHP Freddy Dolsi has moved up in the bullpen pecking order. Dolsi has been used in critical situations recently. Tuesday night he was brought in with the bases loaded and one out in the seventh and finished the inning with just one run scoring. He was left in for the eighth and gave up a double plus a single and a balk, although he finished the inning with no other runs scoring thanks to LF Brent Clevlen throwing out a runner at the plate. He was used in a bases-loaded, one-out, late-game situation against Cleveland in his previous appearance and struck out two consecutive batters.

--RHP Todd Jones chalked up his 11th save in as many chances Tuesday night, pitching a scoreless ninth to preserve Detroit's 6-4 victory over the Chicago White Sox. Jones hasn't had many chances because Detroit hasn't had many victories, and not too many of those have been close games. The veteran is still running his fastball up to the plate at 90-92 mph, mixing it with a curve and cut fastball most of the time.

--RHP Eddie Bonine, 9-2 at Class AAA Toledo, is a leading candidate to replace LHP Dontrelle Willis in the Detroit rotation, according to manager Jim Leyland, who also said, "We'll tackle that in a few days." Willis' turn does not come up until Saturday. Bonine has not been pitching as well recently as he did earlier in the season. An in-house option would be LHP Casey Fossum, who started 25 games for Tampa Bay in 2006 was used primarily as a starter with Toledo this season before moving to the Detroit bullpen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks Lap for starting this thread. high 5

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:34 am

no prob! I get the Daily Wire email so am glad to share! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:09 pm

June 12, 2008

--RHP Justin Verlander retired the first nine batters he faced to get in a groove and, backed by some runs for a change, pitched the first complete game by a Detroit pitcher since, well, since Verlander's no-hitter almost exactly a year ago. He began the game attacking the middle of the strike zone and getting a lot of popup and flyball outs, then switched to two-strike changeups that were down in the strike zone. He was throwing a lot of first-pitch strikes, and the White Sox hitters were going after them.

--LF Marcus Thames jumped on a hanging slider and creamed it for a three-run home run to get Detroit off to a 3-0 lead in the second inning. Manager Jim Leyland, noting Thames was without a hit in his career against Chicago RHP Javier Vazquez, said he was putting Thames in left field "on a hunch." That feeling might have been based on the fact that Vazquez throws a lot of sliders and sometimes hangs a few.
--1B Miguel Cabrera drew a walk to start a three-run rally in the second -- as the end of a 14-pitch at-bat. "That was probably the best at-bat of the evening," manager Jim Leyland said. "Then Marcus (Thames) does what he does -- jumped on one, gave us an early lead." Cabrera had a single up the middle his next at-bat and continues to look much better at the plate.

--2B Placido Polanco singled to right his first time up and singled up the middle his second to finally get his batting average over .300 this season. Polanco is 11 for his last 18 and becoming the same top-of-the-lineup force he was last season for Detroit.

--RHP Fernando Rodney could be activated under a new timetable laid out by manager Jim Leyland before Wednesday's game. Rodney will pitch for Toledo on Friday in what could be a final rehab tuneup, and Leyland said if he can command his fastball he could be back with the Tigers on Sunday. Detroit would activate him Monday for its series in San Francisco. He got shut down early in spring training because of persistent shoulder soreness.

--RHP Joel Zumaya could rejoin the Tigers June 20 for a series in his home area of San Diego. Zumaya has several rehab outings planned for Class AAA Toledo, but manager Jim Leyland said the target was to activate the flame-thrower in time to pitch where his family lives. "I think Zumaya's had this rehab mapped out better than the trainers," Leyland said.

--RHP Jeremy Bonderman is scheduled to be seen next week by the same doctor who operated on teammate LHP Kenny Rogers. Both pitchers were afflicted with blood clots in their shoulders. Bonderman will be examined Tuesday by Dr. Greg Pearl in Dallas to determine the cause of the blood clot that knocked him out of action last weekend. Pearl operated on Rogers to repair blood vessels in his shoulder last year. If he determines Bonderman's blockage was caused by a rib, as is suspected, it could forced removal of a rib in a surgery that would end Bonderman's season. Pearl performed a similar procedure on Rogers to remove a rib when he had the same problem in 2001. Bonderman went on the 15-day disabled list on Saturday.

--RHP Eddie Bonine or possibly LHP Casey Fossum will pitch in place of LHP Dontrelle Willis on Saturday against the Los Angeles Dodgers. A tipoff could come Thursday night if Bonine starts as scheduled for Class AAA Toledo, in which case he could not possibly start on Saturday for the Tigers. Manager Jim Leyland said there's a 90 percent chance Bonine will be Detroit's starter on Saturday. If not, it would probably be Fossum. Bonine was originally drafted by San Diego in 2003 and was acquired by the Tigers in the Rule 5 draft for the 2006 season. He had a combined 10-16 record with an ERA near 6.00 over two years in the Class A California League, but he has had much better numbers with Detroit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 pm

June 13, 2008

--LHP Kenny Rogers did an excellent job of keeping his team in the game Thursday with eight innings of one-run ball. Rogers made his fourth good start in a row, and although he hasn't won since the third week of May, he has pitched into the seventh or better each time and allowed just four runs total. He left with the score tied at 1-1 after giving up just four hits. His breaking ball was excellent, and a nice warm, humid day helped him have excellent control.

--1B Miguel Cabrera has been hitting well for nearly a week now, but his manager doesn't want to jinx him. Cabrera only had one hit Thursday, but it was a dandy, an opposite-field, walk-off home run to right-center with one out in the bottom of the ninth. "I think he's been swinging the bat pretty good lately," manager Jim Leyland said. "I don't want to talk too much about it and get pressure back on him. Just let him relax and enjoy this one."
--RHP Todd Jones got a key double play in the ninth inning Thursday, and it helped him go to 2-0 this season. Jones gave up a hit on a sharp low curve to start the ninth, then got a double play ball to chill the threat. A flyball ended the inning, as Jones was mixing his pitches and throwing to spots. In addition to being undefeated, Jones is also 11-for-11 in save chances.

--CF Curtis Granderson did not start Thursday, as manager Jim Leyland held him out against mix-master LHP Mark Buehrle. Granderson has been playing against most lefties lately, but Leyland opted to sit him until putting him in for defense in the eighth.

--2B Placido Polanco is now 13-for-22 after collecting two more hits Thursday. Polanco has been torrid for five games and has been a contributing factor to four Detroit wins in that stretch. He still is hitting the ball where it's pitched.

--C Vance Wilson said Thursday he has to undergo a second Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, which might end of his career. Wilson was in Detroit for treatment of what was thought to be tearing of scar tissue from the initial surgery a year ago, but after more than two weeks of no progress, an examination disclosed another ligament tear. The second surgery probably will take place next week.

"I hope to play again," he said, "but you just don't know with something like this. The recovery from this is grueling, but at least I know what I'm facing. But in the same sense, the rehab is so mentally grueling. It's like you're just kicked in the head every day. So to think about going through that again, it's tough. But in the same sense, what else am I going to do?"

He has not played for Detroit since 2006, and his contract runs out at the end of this season.

--RHP Eddie Bonine will be brought up from Class AAA Toledo to start Saturday against the Los Angeles Dodgers in place of demoted LHP Dontrelle Willis. Bonine has gone 24-7 over the past two seasons in the minors as a soft-tossing groundball specialist. He was 9-2 with a 4.48 ERA for Toledo. "If you don't give a guy like that a chance," manager Jim Leyland said, "then who do you give a chance to? So we're going to give him a chance. He's got a good breaking ball, and he's got great control. Not an overpowering guy. A strike-thrower. Evidently, he's a winner."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 pm

I like torrid! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:28 pm

June 16, 2008

--LHP Nate Robertson pitched six shutout innings Sunday, including two after a 47-minute rain delay. "We had him pitch down in the batting cage during the delay," Manager Jim Leyland said. "Two simulated innings. So even though his pitch count was low, it was probably about 30 pitches higher." Robertson gave up just four hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out three. He made good use of his slider and spotted his fastball to both sides of the plate while throwing 66 pitches.

--DH Marcus Thames launched another home run Sunday, his second in two games and fifth among the six hits he had on Detroit's just-finished 10-game homestand. "He might wear down if you overplay him a little bit," manager Jim Leyland said. "But one swing of the bat for a guy like that is real huge, and that's what he's done for us, and that's why I like him so much. Those are quick runs, boy. There is no substitute for that."
Thames has 10 home runs this season and Detroit is unbeaten when he hits one.

--C Brandon Inge hit a solo home run Sunday but so far isn't faring exceptionally well under his manager's platoon plan behind the plate. Inge is just 2-for-13 in the four games he's played while alternating days with C Ivan Rodriguez.

--RHP Denny Bautista was sharp Sunday in a two-inning appearance, although he did walk one batter. Bautista spotted his fastball better than he has and mixed in a good breaking ball, too. He is one of the pitchers Detroit might trim this week as it gets RHP Fernando Rodney back Monday and RHP Joel Zumaya back on Friday.

--RHP Todd Jones made it 12-of-12 in save situations Sunday when he bailed out Detroit in the ninth inning of a 5-4 win against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Jones came in with a man on first and nobody out and the Tigers holding a 5-2 lead over the Dodgers. Two runs scored, one on a wild pitch, before Jones got OF Juan Pierre to fly out to center to end the game with the tying run on second base. His fastball was largely in the high 80s and his breaking ball wasn't good, but he still managed to convert the save.

--RHP Aquilino Lopez was sent to Toledo after Sunday's 5-4 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers so Detroit could activate RHP Fernando Rodney from the disabled list. Manager Jim Leyland said Lopez would work long relief for the Class AAA Mud Hens but once he gets his pitch count up he'll move into Toledo's starting rotation. Leyland wants an experienced Major League pitcher available if the Tigers develop a need for another starter this season. Lopez mostly worked long or early relief for Detroit and was 2-1 with a 2.67 ERA.

--DH Gary Sheffield will start a rehab assignment Monday with high Class A Lakeland. Sheffield has been taking batting practice lately but was not deemed ready to play after being disabled due to a sore left oblique muscle. He was also in no condition to play the outfield, which he would have had to do during Detroit's games this week at San Francisco and San Diego.

--RHP Fernando Rodney was activated following Detroit's Sunday game against the Los Angeles Dodgers and accompanied the team to San Francisco. Rodney has been out all season nursing a sore shoulder and has been fine-tuning his control at Toledo. He pitched 5 1/3 innings for Toledo, allowing four runs on three hits and five walks. He struck out eight and opponents hit just .158 against him. RHP Aquilino Lopez was optioned to Toledo to make room for Rodney on the roster.

--RHP Eddie Bonine was the winning pitcher in his first major league start Saturday; he'll get the ball again Friday at San Diego. Bonine worked 5 1/3 innings, and while he gave up six runs he was not hit all that hard. He kept the ball down until the sixth, when all three batters he faced hit the ball in the air and he was removed from the game. Bonine throws mostly a fastball, sinker and changeup. "When you have a pitcher that young that throws a lot of strikes and moves the ball all over the plate, he's going to get a lot of outs," C Ivan Rodriguez said.

BY THE NUMBERS: 6 -- Series sweeps by 32-37 Detroit this season entering Monday's inter-league set at San Francisco.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's not going to be forever. But I never met a manager yet who had a regular player playing well that he doesn't play. It doesn't matter what position it's at. If your center fielder is playing real good, you play him every day. If you think he's tired and struggling, you give him some time now and then. That's the way it is for any player." -- Manager Jim Leyland, on how the alternating of Ivan Rodriguez and Brandon Inge at catcher is working out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Quote :
RHP Denny Bautista was sharp Sunday in a
two-inning appearance, although he did walk one batter. Bautista
spotted his fastball better than he has and mixed in a good breaking
ball, too. He is one of the pitchers Detroit might trim this week as it
gets RHP Fernando Rodney back Monday and RHP Joel Zumaya back on Friday.

I would rather see Seay gone!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

June 17, 2008

--RHP Justin Verlander turned in his seventh strong start in a row, striking out seven and walking just one batter in six innings on the mound. Verlander threw his fastball up to 96 mph and mixed in a sharp curve and strong changeup in his five-hit outing. He came out for a pinch hitter in the seventh and did not figure in the decision.

--SS Edgar Renteria didn't start Monday night. He did, however, pinch hit with a runner on third and one out in the seventh and hit a line-drive sacrifice fly to right that broke a 3-3 tie. Renteria, who hit for RHP Justin Verlander, then stayed in the game to play shortstop. Renteria's next hit will be the 2,000th of his career.
--IF Michael Hollimon started at shortstop. Hollimon made a throwing error on a grounder to short that let in San Francisco's first run. He was trying for a double play on a ball hit into the hole with runners on first and second and threw the ball into right field. The safe play would have been to get a force at third on a slow runner. Hollimon also had trouble with a force out on another throw but 2B Placido Polanco saved him from an error by stepping back on the bag after the throw had pulled him off. Hollimon also went hitless, failing to get a runner in from third with nobody out in the seventh.

--LF Marcus Thames continues to hit big home runs. Thames hit a pair Monday night, good for the first three runs. He smashed a high RHP Tim Lincecum curveball into the left-field seats for a home run his first time up and then ripped a fastball his second time up, this time with a teammate on base, to give the Tigers a temporary 3-1 lead. It was the fourth straight game in which Thames has hit a home run and gave him the team lead with 12. It was the first game the Tigers lost when Thames hit a home run.

--C Ivan Rodriguez walked his first time up. It was his 12th base on balls this season -- three more than all of last year. Rodriguez also tripled and singled twice as he continued his hot hitting (9-for-13) since his manager began catching him on alternate days.

--RHP Freddy Dolsi had a mixed outing. He pitched a scoreless seventh but gave up two singles with an out in between to begin the eighth and was relieved by RHP Fernando Rodney. Both runners scored and Dolsi wound up the losing pitcher.

--RHP Fernando Rodney was eligible to pitch for the first time this season Monday night -- and he did. Manager Jim Leyland said before the game he wanted to give Rodney a nice soft inning to break him in, but couldn't do it. Rodney came in with runners at the corners and one out, looking to strike out left-handed hitting John Bowker. Rodney threw three changeups, wasted a fastball up and then came back with a fourth changeup that Bowker jumped on for a three-run home run. It wasn't unconventional to have Rodney come in to face a left-hander because his changeup is a great weapon against them. Rodney gave up five runs in the inning, two belonging to RHP Freddy Dolsi and the other three his own.

--RHP Joel Zumaya made the first of back-to-back minor league appearances Monday night that could determine whether he returns to the Tigers on Friday night in San Diego. Zumaya gave up an unearned run on two hits and struck out two batters in a rehab appearance at Toledo. The Tigers will have him pitch again Tuesday night to see how his arm reacts to working back-to-back games. Zumaya threw 18 pitches, 11 of them strikes.

BY THE NUMBERS: 6 -- Series sweeps by 32-37 Detroit this season entering Monday's inter-league set at San Francisco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 pm

June 18, 2008

--LHP Kenny Rogers has got his control down again and is looking like the pitcher who helped Detroit to the World Series in 2006. Rogers has allowed just four earned runs in his last five starts, including a seven-inning, one-run outing Tuesday night. He gave up 16 runs in his previous four starts. "The key is his sinker," UT Brandon Inge said. "The only reason he didn't have it together earlier was because he not only didn't have a good sinker, but he wasn't able to spot it. But now that he knows where it's going to end up, he can start it right where someone thinks it's a good pitch and get a groundball."

--CF Curtis Granderson hit at the bottom of the batting order Tuesday night against a left-handed San Francisco starter. Granderson got Detroit's first hit, lining a single to left, and ended up scoring the Tigers' first run.
--RHP Todd Jones turned in another heart-stopper but managed to finish Detroit's 5-1 win at San Francisco. It wasn't a save situation, so Jones could be expected to provide some thrills, and he gave up singles to the first three hitters he faced to load the bases. But a fly to left, a strikeout on a nasty curve and a fielder's choice forceout ended the game. He struggled a little with his control for the first couple of hitters before settling down.

--UT Ryan Raburn came up looking for a fastball he could get the bat head on in the eighth inning Tuesday night and got one. Raburn stroked a second-pitch home run to deep left field, nearly to the concourse, to break a 1-1 tie. Raburn's batting average isn't much, but he's given Detroit quality play as a sub.

--LF Marcus Thames has equaled Detroit's club record with a home run in five straight games, becoming just the fifth Tiger to do so. Thames ripped a fastball to straightaway center field in the ninth for his sixth home run in his last five games. Thames' last eight hits have gone the distance.

--SS Edgar Renteria singled in the sixth inning Tuesday night for the 2,000th hit of his major league career. Renteria beat out a single in the hole to short to become the first Colombian-born player with 2,000 hits.

--UT Brandon Inge missed his scheduled start due to a sore side muscle. The oblique has been bothering Inge for the better part of a month, but he's been playing through it. Inge was scheduled to catch Tuesday under manager Jim Leyland's alternating schedule, but it was decided to hold him out of a cool night game. "I'll play him (Wednesday afternoon) if he's right," Leyland said. "Those things can be long-term, and Mac (hitting coach Lloyd McClendon) saw him wince in the batting cage. But he winced on the homer he hit a few days ago."

--C Ivan Rodriguez started Tuesday for the second consecutive night. Rodriguez was playing his first back-to-back games since early June. He came up with a runner on third and one out in a 1-1 game in the seventh inning and grounded to third, with the runner getting thrown out at the plate. Rodriguez singled and scored a run in the eighth.

--RHP Joel Zumaya will join the Tigers on Friday night in San Diego. Zumaya didn't pitch a second consecutive game as scheduled Tuesday but instead threw a 14-pitch bullpen session. The Tigers decided on the side session instead of having him work another rehab game because Toledo had a day game Tuesday following a Monday night contest. Zumaya has not pitched for the Tigers this season following shoulder surgery in November. "We've been waiting for months to have (Fernando) Rodney and Zumaya as our late-inning guys like we did," manager Jim Leyland said, "and that's what they're going to be. If they don't do it, then we won't win."

--RHP Jeremy Bonderman will undergo surgery June 30 to fix his thoracic outlet syndrome, Tigers trainer Kevin Rand said. Vascular surgeon Greg Pearl of Dallas, who performed a similar surgery on Detroit LHP Kenny Rogers several years ago, conducted the examination and determined surgery is necessary. Indications are Bonderman will have to have a rib removed, as it was pinching off the axillary vein carrying blood from his arm to his heart. That caused a blood clot, which was broken up with a thrombolysis performed June 6 at Detroit Medical Center. Bonderman's season ends at 3-4 with a 4.29 ERA.

--OF Gary Sheffield homered in the second game of his rehab assignment for Class A Lakeland. He is 1-for-4 with three walks in the two games. Sheffield has been on the disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle since May 27.

BY THE NUMBERS: 6 -- Series sweeps by Detroit through June 17.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm

June 19, 2008

--RHP Armando Galarraga turned in another solid performance Wednesday, not allowing an earned run in seven innings. He mixed his slider and fastball, stayed ahead in the count and worked out of the few jams he got into. The two runs he allowed were the result of errors. Galarraga also walked twice, the first time in seven years an AL pitcher had drawn two bases on balls in a game. Galarraga now has more wins and a lower ERA than any other Tigers starter. "He's been a savior so far," manager Jim Leyland said. "Obviously he's given us innings. Not only has he given us innings he's won games. That's a bonus, no question about it."

--2B Placido Polanco collected four hits Wednesday and continues to move up the AL batting leader list. Polanco, now at .316, had his fourth four-hit game and eighth multiple-hit game in his last 10. He went to left and right fields with his hits as he continues to pull inside pitches and take the outside delivery to right.
--C Ivan Rodriguez started his third straight game Wednesday with his alternate, UT Brandon Inge, still nursing a sore left oblique muscle. Rodriguez went 5-for-12 in the three games but Wednesday reverted to chasing high fastballs, one of the things that led him into a slump and prompted his manager to begin alternating him behind the plate with Inge on a daily basis.

--RF Magglio Ordonez suffered side and back spasms Wednesday and left Detroit's 7-2 win over San Francisco early. He was replaced by UT Ryan Raburn. Manager Jim Leyland said he did not believe the soreness would keep Ordonez from playing Friday at San Diego.

--LF Marcus Thames went 0-for-3 with a walk Wednesday as his streak of games hitting a home run ended at five. Thames didn't come close to hitting a home run. His last eight hits have all gone the distance, and he's one of five Detroit players to have hit a home run in five consecutive games.

--RHP Freddy Dolsi is one of the pitchers who could be sent to the minors with the return of RHP Joel Zumaya on Friday. Dolsi worked two scoreless innings Wednesday, but neither was clutter free. He shows a fastball that routinely clocks 95-97 mph with decent control. The fact he can be optioned could be a factor, but on merit he would stay.

--OF Clete Thomas was activated from the disabled list Wednesday and restored to Detroit's roster. Thomas had been on a short rehab assignment after suffering an ankle injury. He will provide Detroit with a left-handed bat off the bench and is capable of playing all three outfield positions. He hit .292 in limited time with the Tigers.

--OF Brent Clevlen was optioned back to Class AAA Toledo on Wednesday following Detroit's 7-2 victory at San Francisco. Clevlen hit .208 in 10 games with Detroit after hitting .300 for the Mud Hens but provided the Tigers with excellent defense and threw out two runners on the bases during his brief time with the big-league club. Detroit feels he'd be better off playing every day in the minors than being a fourth or fifth outfielder in the majors.

--UT Brandon Inge is dealing with a sore left oblique muscle, which kept him out of the lineup for all three of Detroit's games in San Francisco. "I'm going to give Inge a day and (Thursday) off, see if that helps him," manager Jim Leyland said of Inge. "Because he's not right, and I'm worried about that. Those things can be lasting and dangerous if you're not careful. I know he's been playing with it, which we talked about, but it hurts." Inge tried to play over the pain, starting six games on Detroit's recent 10-game homestand, but he went 4-for-18 with seven strikeouts and admitted the sore muscle bothered his swing.

BY THE NUMBERS: 6 -- Series sweeps by Detroit through June 17.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 pm

These are cool lap!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:01 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
These are cool lap!

Thanks! always willing to share! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 pm

June 20, 2008 tiger

--RHP Armando Galarraga has a good eye on the mound and at the plate. He walked twice Wednesday against San Francisco and has drawn three bases on balls this season. He is the first Tigers pitcher to walk twice in the same game since RHP Bryce Florie in 1998 at Milwaukee and the first Tigers pitcher to walk three times in one season since the DH came into being following the 1972 season.

--2B Placido Polanco has taken over the team batting lead from RF Magglio Ordonez following a 4-for-4 game that lifted his batting average to .316. "He's hitting the ball all over the field, which is why he hit .341 with 200 hits last year," manager Jim Leyland said. "He hits to the right field line. He hits to the left field line. He knows what he's doing."
Back problems slowed Polanco early in the season, but he's recovered now. "After that time, I got better," Polanco said. "But you learn to play with pain. It becomes a part of you, and you miss it when it's gone."

--RHP Joel Zumaya returns to the roster Friday, several weeks earlier than forecast. The original prediction was that Zumaya would not be ready until July or possibly August following his November surgery to repair the AC joint in his right shoulder. It is a surgery seldom seen on pitchers, so the medical experts were unsure exactly how long the recovery would take and just how much velocity he would have on his fastball. Manager Jim Leyland says now that he knew during spring training that Zumaya would be back early simply by the way he was throwing.

--C Brandon Inge might be behind the play Friday if his strained left oblique muscle will permit it. "Inge might catch Friday if he's all right," manager Jim Leyland said. "But I don't know if that's going to work out. Obliques are real tricky. I didn't want to catch Pudge (Ivan Rodriguez on Wednesday), because I'll start wearing him down again." Leyland said he briefly considered putting UT Ryan Raburn behind the plate Wednesday but decided against it. Inge said he got a cortisone shot in the injured area after Sunday's game and he planned to rest Thursday when there was no game.

--RHP Freddy Dolsi has a major league at-bat to his credit, but he didn't move his bat. Dolsi pitched the seventh and eighth, and he was the third hitter up in the top of the ninth Wednesday in San Francisco. Manager Jim Leyland let him go to the plate with two out and have him stand there and strike out with the Tigers holding a 7-2 lead. Dolsi, who didn't pitch the bottom of the ninth, batted because the Tigers were down to two players on the bench and one of them, Brandon Inge, was hurting. Leyland didn't want Jeff Larish to bat in case San Francisco tied the game and he might be needed to hit in extra innings.

--The Tigers signed RHP Scott Green, a third-round draft choice of the University of Kentucky, plus four other picks from the draft earlier this month. The Tigers have not signed their top two picks, RHP Ryan Perry of Arizona and RHP Cody Satterwhite of Mississippi. The other signees were Oklahoma State RHP Robert Weinhardt (10th round), University of Northern Iowa SS Brandon Douglas (11th), 1B Jordan Lennerton of Oregon State (33rd) and CF Josh Workman of Wichita State (38th).

--DH Gary Sheffield (left oblique strain) doesn't appear to be ready to rejoin the Tigers. He went 0-for-2 Thursday in the fourth game of his rehab assignment at Class A Lakeland and is just 1-for-10 with five walks. His only hit is a home run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:27 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
th).

--DH Gary Sheffield (left oblique strain) doesn't appear to be ready to rejoin the Tigers. He went 0-for-2 Thursday in the fourth game of his rehab assignment at Class A Lakeland and is just 1-for-10 with five walks. His only hit is a home run.

Sounds ready to me - .100 is all he's hitting here or so it seems. Slugging .400 is better than here and his OBP is .333 which is better than here.

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 pm

June 24, 2008 :tiger2:

--RHP Justin Verlander had great movement on his pitches Sunday, maybe too much. Verlander passed 100 pitches by the fifth inning and lasted just one out into the sixth before being removed following a pair of scratch singles. Verlander reached a season-high 10 strikeouts, all but one swinging. Eight of his first nine outs were strikeouts. His fastball was consistently 95-98 mph with movement. He won for only the fourth time this season.

--CF Curtis Granderson is known for giving Detroit pop at the top of its lineup and the weekend was a good example. He opened Friday night's game with a home run, the 16th time in his career he homered to start a game, then Saturday evening he doubled for the 17th time in his career as the first batter. Granderson has been getting more playing time against southpaws lately, typically in the eighth or ninth spot in the order. He had just one hit Sunday, a single, but three good at-bats.
--UT Brandon Inge returned to the lineup Saturday, catching to give C Ivan Rodriguez a night off. Inge had not played all week due to a sore left oblique but reported Friday it was feeling much better during batting practice.

"If a player tells me he's OK, I'm playing him," manager Jim Leyland said after Inge went 0-for-3. "I don't get trapped in the silly stuff of maybe. If you can play, play. If you can't, don't."

--RF Magglio Ordonez was fighting a sore back for a few days but now seems to be OK. Ordonez, who had two hits Saturday, had trouble getting around on LHP Randy Wolf's fastball Sunday but caught up to a curve in the fifth inning and ripped it for a two-run home run. In the seventh Ordonez stroked a two-out RBI double to restore the two-run lead he'd given his team in the fifth.

--RHP Todd Jones took a shot off the right knee for a base hit against the first batter he faced in the ninth Sunday but got a double play and a fly out to record his 14th save in a row and 18th dating back to last year. Jones used his cut fastball for the double play en route to his second save in two days. Jones now has 315 career saves, 15th on the all-time list.

--RHP Joel Zumaya made his second appearance of the season Sunday and it was less than spectacular. He walked the leadoff batter in the seventh, gave up a line single to right and then a long fly out to the wall in center before getting a popup on a moving fastball for the second out. SS Khalil Greene then ripped a fastball to left for an RBI double but the potential tying run was thrown out at the plate (1B Adrian Gonzalez ran through the stop sign at third). His fastball was topping out at 98-99 mph but not every one had movement and his breaking ball wasn't getting over for strikes.

--C Ivan Rodriguez benefited from a day off Saturday. He not only hit his second home run of the season, plus a single, but the rest must have refreshed his eye at the plate because he walked twice. Rodriguez rarely walks, let alone walking two times in one game. He's done well with the increased rest because of alternating games behind the plate.

--2B Placido Polanco was held out of Sunday's game to give him two days in a row off and keep the streaking second baseman's bat hot. He was 8-for-20 last week. The Tigers don't play Monday so Polanco will have two days of rest when he returns to action Tuesday in Detroit.

--RHP Fernando Rodney will throw every other day in an effort to get more strikes out of him. Rodney had faced seven batters entering Sunday and only gotten one out in two appearances since coming off the disabled list. He walked three, allowed a three-run homer and two doubles, resulting in one blown save, one loss and a 135.00 ERA.

"We're going to have Rodney start throwing about five minutes in the bullpen every other day, even on nights he's going to pitch," Leyland said. "We'll have him play catch in the outfield, then throw to a catcher every other day for five minutes at half speed to see if we can get some rhythm going. We have to get him throwing strikes. Hopefully that might help him because he's just flinging it. That's not good enough." Leyland got the plan from former major league LHP Jim Kaat. "I learned it from him," the manager said. "(As pitching coach for Cincinnati 1984-85) he had his relievers throw five minutes almost every day, but not real hard. I think it's good for their control."

--LHP Nate Robertson and RHP Eddie Bonine will switch places in the Detroit rotation this week, a change made possible by the Tigers being off on Monday. Manager Jim Leyland said Robertson will start Thursday against the St. Louis Cardinals, and Bonine on Friday against the Colorado Rockies. That would have Robertson following RHP Armando Galarraga in the rotation.

--LF Marcus Thames' two singles Sunday were only his second and third hits since June 7 that weren't home runs. Thames hit a game-deciding pinch-hit home run Saturday and a double Friday night. He had a streak of eight straight hits going for home runs before the double and now nine of his last 12 have left the park.

BY THE NUMBERS: 10 -- Home runs of the 14 hit by LF Marcus Thames that have come with either the score tied or a one run difference. Half the 14 have come with the score tied after his tie-breaking two-run home run Saturday night.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "One thing about Marcus, he hits big home runs. He doesn't hit them when you're down 10-1; he hits them when they mean something." -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland on LF Marcus Thames, who has hit 12 of his 14 home runs in Detroit wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 pm

June 24, 2008

--LHP Nate Robertson is on a tear again, similar to the way he finished the 2006 season. Robertson has posted a 5-1 record with a 4.91 ERA in his last six starts, although his overall ERA is only 5.60. He has won his last three starts to square his record at 6-6. "I think Nate is his own worst enemy," manager Jim Leyland said. "When he realizes that his stuff is plenty good enough for him to win a lot of games with this particular type of team, he'll do very well. He's worked hard to turn the page on being able to get over adversity. He's much better about that, but he has a chance to win a lot of games for this team."

--RHP Freddy Dolsi has the stuff to challenge RHP Joel Zumaya for the job to succeed RHP Todd Jones as Detroit's next closer. "It'll be interesting competition between Freddy and Joel to see who wins that closer's job," Jones said. Dolsi survived the cut that came when Zumaya was activated last week, and some impressive statistics are why. Only 18 percent of the runners he's inherited have scored, best in the bullpen. He has retired 75 percent of first batters he's faced, also best on the team. "It's very unlikely to be where he is from where he's come from," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "But we reward people who have done the job."
--DH Gary Sheffield was expected to play another game for Detroit's Class A team at Lakeland, Fla. After that, who knows? "I don't know how that's going to play out," manager Jim Leyland said of the return of Sheffield, who has been healing a left oblique muscle. Sheffield, 39, went 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs Sunday after not playing for two days. He has two hits -- both home runs -- in 13 at-bats with Lakeland. He's batting .213 in 39 games with the Tigers.

--1B/DH Jeff Larish might be the player to go when DH Gary Sheffield returns but he's made an impression on the Tigers in the short time he's been with the team. Larish has served as the DH against right-handed pitchers but last week in National League cities, he was a pinch hitter. The left-handed hitter has turned into a clutch hitter, going 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position. His latest came Saturday in the seventh inning of a 7-5 victory when he tied the score at 5-5 with a pinch single. "I like Larish a lot," manager Jim Leyland said. "Larish has done something not many young players can do, and that's not get any at-bats for a few days, come off the bench and get a hit."

--LHP Kenny Rogers has turned the clock back to 2006 recently. Rogers will take a nice streak into his Tuesday start, having allowed just four earned runs in 36 innings for a 1.00 ERA over his last five starts. Rogers can nick 90 mph once in a while with his fastball but mainly he's been able to spot it better to set up his curve and changeup.

BY THE NUMBERS: 10 -- Home runs of the 14 hit by LF Marcus Thames that have come with either the score tied or a one run difference. Half the 14 have come with the score tied after his tie-breaking two-run home run Saturday night.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "One thing about Marcus, he hits big home runs. He doesn't hit them when you're down 10-1; he hits them when they mean something." -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland on LF Marcus Thames, who had hit 12 of his 14 home runs in Detroit wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:42 pm

June 25, 2008

--LHP Kenny Rogers had a string of five straight seven-inning starts snapped Tuesday night when St. Louis knocked him out after 5 1/3 innings. He retired just two of the last nine batters he faced, as the Cardinals adjust to his slow stuff. It was the third time through the lineup that did Rogers in.

--DH Gary Sheffield was restored to Detroit's active roster Tuesday and announced his return with a two-run home run in the seventh inning. To make room for him on the roster, the Tigers optioned rookie 1B/DH Jeff Larish to Class AAA Toledo. Sheffield had good swings but little to show for it until he creamed a pitch from RHP Braden Looper in the seventh with a man on into the left field seats. Sheffield was on a rehab assignment with high Class A Lakeland for a week and hit .154 in five games. He had two hits, both home runs, as he recuperated from a left oblique strain. Manager Jim Leyland batted Sheffield seventh. Sheffield said an added benefit to the time off was a chance to rest his problematic right shoulder. "I feel like my shoulder benefited the most out of all of this," Sheffield said. "I was able to rest and not have to do anything with it."
--1B/DH Jeff Larish was optioned back to Class AAA Toledo to make room for DH Gary Sheffield, who was activated off the disabled list. Larish served as a DH against right-handed pitching but did a nice job pinch-hitting in NL cities last week. Overall, he had a .200 batting average in 15 games but was batting .500 with runners in scoring position.

--C Ivan Rodriguez played again Tuesday night and slammed his second home run in two games. Rodriguez has benefited from alternating with UT Brandon Inge behind the plate but now is taking advantage of the utility player's sore left oblique to show the rest has helped him. He can be expected to play again Wednesday night but not Thursday afternoon, if Inge is able to play again. Inge has played just once in the last week. Rodriguez hit his home run Tuesday night to left center in the third inning.

--LHP Casey Fossum hasn't been very impressive in his time with Detroit. Fossum needed to get an out in the seventh inning Tuesday night to keep the Tigers within striking range, but a flat curveball was ripped for a two-run double and St. Louis expanded its lead to 8-2. Although he pitched 1 2/3 innings without allowing a run of his own, Fossum's ERA is 15.43.

--INF Michael Hollimon isn't getting much playing time while INF Ramon Santiago is recovering from a shoulder separation. "We think he can be a good big-league player for a lot of years," GM Dave Dombrowski said of Hollimon. "Ideally, you'd like to have him playing every day, so he could get that experience." However Dombrowski said he felt Hollimon isn't going to miss that many at-bats while subbing for Santiago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:21 pm

June 26, 2008

--RHP Armando Galarraga had trouble with his slider, leading to one of his worst starts of the season. He went 4 2/3 innings, allowing five runs and eight hits, until his night was ended by a 2-hour, 25-minute rain delay. He didn't walk anybody but he was behind hitters and couldn't spot his fastball and slider as he has been doing. Galarraga entered his start having held opposing batters to a .184 batting average, with no starter holding opponents under .200 since Johan Santana did it for Minnesota in 2004. Galarraga had not allowed an earned run over 13 innings in his previous two outings to drop his season's ERA to 3.03.

--DH Gary Sheffield is showing a little life at the plate after missing more than two weeks with a sore left oblique. Sheffield had a double and three singles Wednesday night following a home run Tuesday in his first game back. He is hitting the ball with authority, and while he won't admit his right shoulder is fully healed, he does say he feels better than he has at any time this year. One of his hits came on a flat curve and the third on a so-so fastball, pitches he'd been missing or popping up early in the season. His game-winner was a liner to center with a runner on second.
--3B Carlos Guillen is settling in at third base, and that could be helping his bat come alive again too. Guillen has been shunted from the shortstop spot he played last year to first, then third, then left field and now back to third base again, where he seems much more comfortable than the first time he was switched across the diamond. Guillen had four hits Wednesday night, including a three-run home run.

--LF Marcus Thames made a costly error, allowing an unearned run, in the second inning and then was ejected in the third for arguing a called third strike. His replacement, OF Clete Thomas, took an outside pitch the other way for a leadoff double in the bottom of the ninth and scored the winning run.

--UT Brandon Inge was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 23, to let him heal a sore left oblique muscle that has been bothering him for more than two weeks. Inge played third base last Sunday after catching the day before, the only times in more than a week he'd seen any action at all due to the sore side muscle. "It's almost like a sharp, lightning pain through your body that goes through your body that you just can't make contact with (the) ball," said Inge, who aggravated the injury Monday night trying to push down a pillow behind his 3-year-old son's head. "I hit a couple home runs with it and I'm going to say they were purely luck. I've always said I'll try to play through any pain to help the ballclub out. But if it gets to a point where I think I'm hurting the ballclub, then I'll do something about it. I don't feel like if it was a bases-loaded situation at the end of the game, I don't feel confident that I could get the job done."

--RHP Joel Zumaya had control problems Wednesday night, showing he's still not fully ready to assume a key role in Detroit's bullpen. Zumaya was brought in with two on and two out in the sixth and walked the first two batters he faced, missing many pitches badly, to walk in a tiebreaking run and give St. Louis a 6-5 lead. He completed the inning and the run was charged to RHP Zach Miner, but he walked the leadoff man in the seventh, threw a wild pitch and allowed a base hit that gave the Cardinals a 7-6 lead before he was removed from the game.

--C Dane Sardinha's contract was purchased from Class AAA Toledo to replaced disabled UT Brandon Inge on Detroit's roster. Sardinha, a light hitter but an excellent defensive catcher, automatically assumes the role of primary backup to C Ivan Rodriguez. He was scheduled to make his first start Thursday afternoon, according to manager Jim Leyland. Sardinha hit .206 with six home runs and 16 RBIs in 48 games with the Mud Hens this season.

--C Vance Wilson had right elbow reconstruction revision surgery performed Tuesday by Dr. Stephen Lemos at Detroit Medical Center. The surgery was required to repair a tear to the previously grafted ulnar collateral ligament. He will miss all of this season after missing all of 2007.

--RHP Denny Bautista, designated for assignment June 20, was traded to the Pirates for RHP Kyle Pearson. Pearson saw action with both Class A Lynchburg and Class AA Altoona this season in the Pirates organization, appearing in 16 games. He earned four saves during his 11 outings with Lynchburg. Pearson was a fourth-round selection of the Pirates in 2003.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Quote :
But if it gets to a point where I think I'm
hurting the ballclub, then I'll do something about it. I don't feel
like if it was a bases-loaded situation at the end of the game, I don't
feel confident that I could get the job done."

At least Inge is honest!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:22 pm

June 27, 2008

--LHP Nate Robertson, flip-flopped in the rotation but not starting on short rest thanks to a day off in the schedule, pitched in and out of trouble Thursday yet allowed just one run in 6 1/3 innings. Robertson had just one 1-2-3 inning, the sixth, but got pop-ups and double plays when he needed them to leave the game with the score tied 1-1. He allowed 11 hits and two walks but wasn't really battered. His pitch count was only 92 when he was taken out.

--RHP Todd Jones wasn't able to pitch a scoreless ninth two days in a row. Jones, who faced just three batters in the early morning hours Thursday to get the win, gave up a tiebreaking run in the ninth when he came back slightly more than a half-day later. Jones gave up three singles in the ninth after getting the first out, the last being Albert Pujols' fourth hit of the afternoon. Jones was around the plate but wasn't quite as sharp has he's been recently. He was saved from a loss when DH Gary Sheffield hit a home run to re-tie the score 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth.
--C Dane Sardinha started in place of regular C Ivan Rodriguez. Sardinha went hitless, but that's to be expected of someone who barely hit .200 for Class AAA Toledo last season and so far this year. He will not see as much playing time as disabled UT Brandon Inge was getting behind the plate, but he will probably play twice a week for the next 14 days or so.

--INF Michael Hollimon gave SS Edgar Renteria a break at shortstop. He collected his first major league hit, too, a bloop single to center in the fifth, then doubled with one out in the ninth but was thrown out at third trying to stretch it into a triple and get the winning run to third. Hollimon will get sparse playing time over the next week or so as INF Ramon Santiago works his way back to the roster.

--OF Clete Thomas continues to have productive games for the Tigers. He walked twice Thursday with the bases loaded to drive in two runs, the second being the game-winner with two outs in the bottom of the 10th inning. His bases-loaded walk in the sixth gave Detroit a brief 1-0 lead. Thomas produced a leadoff double in the ninth inning Wednesday night and scored the winning run. He started in left field Thursday, mainly due to his left-handed bat. He provides the Tigers with the left-handed bench bat they need, some speed and defensive ability at all three outfield positions.

--DH Gary Sheffield might need a day off now and again, but he's hitting as if he isn't going to get one. Sheffield had four hits Wednesday night including the game-winner in the ninth inning. Thursday he was 0-for-3 -- until blasting a score-tying solo home run to left with one out in the ninth inning. He hit a home run Tuesday in his return from the disabled list. Sheffield has been hitting seventh in deference to the hitting of 3B Carlos Guillen in his old No. 3 spot. Whether manager Jim Leyland will want to tamper with success is something that will be taken care of over time.

--CF Curtis Granderson is adapting to everyday play. He collected four hits Thursday, and that gave him a career-best 14-game hitting streak. His manager feels Granderson is staying back on the ball better when he sees left-handed pitching (all of whom he doesn't start against) and that carries over to facing right-handed hitters.

--INF Ramon Santiago, on the disabled list since June 5 due to a left shoulder separation, has begun doing soft-toss and could begin taking regular batting practice this weekend. That would be a prelude to a rehab assignment when the Tigers go on the road next week. Santiago, known more for his solid defense than his bat, was batting .361 with seven walks, four doubles, a triple, a home run and 11 RBIs at the time of his injury.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Jones did ok yesterday after pitching the night before....whew!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From the FSN Daily Wire   

Back to top Go down

From the FSN Daily Wire
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next