DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

WBC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: WBC   Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:10 pm

It looks like our Venezuelan boys -- at least Magglio and Carlos -- won't be representing their country in the World Baseball Classic.

It seems there is some discord over the choice of Luis Sojo as the manager. The political pundits on the committee chose Sojo (whose team made a poor showing in the '06 WBC) while the players were in favor of Al Pedrique, former Diamondbacks interim manager and present Special Assistant for the Astros.

Here's one of the links in Spanish:
http://www.entornointeligente.com/resumen/resumen.php?id=690369

That's the gist of what it says.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: WBC   Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 pm

Google translation, for what it's worth...

Caracas. Carlos Guillen was emphatic. "I made a very clear question and the answer is equally clear: I am not going to the World Baseball Classic." A straight elbows to the confession of a prelude to the Detroit Tigers.

According to the Creole, spent a lot of things in the World Classic past who do not want a repetition. "I do not think the game falling into them. Le I appeal to Mr (Humberto) Oropeza. If he wants to baseball, the pelotero, to the fans, should withdraw and let others do things. The organizing committee failed once past and can not repeat, "The Araguenian paved.

Guillen is heard a little annoying. His memory keeps what he had to spend in the first edition of the event. Not liked what happened. "Five minutes before the first game against Dominican, because we did not have uniforms that had put the patch of Polar. Nobody said we had to go to eat at Burger King after the game against Puerto Rico.

Tickets for the relatives of the players were not on time and some players, grandeligas, were roommates because there was not enough quart. Some not given their per diem, "he explains.

Guillen spoke French, unambiguously. Take a break and said clearly that "I have no problem with Luis Sojo. The problem is with Mr Mikel Perez. Failure to have a good relationship with the players and now wants to make things better.

We are who we sacrifice, which we take Rollings and battery. Should have been consulted. To me this team (Detroit) called me to ask me things, the manager always in the dugout to talk with us.

One is taken into account. In the past Classic, one did not see the organizers bear the clubhouse, did not speak with one. One has a hierarchy and must be heard, "he clarified.

Guillen was one of the most enthusiastic players of the first contest. Always cordial with the press, but often poignant as his style.

"I talked to the players associations of Major League and could not have any journalist in the clubhouse. Well, Mr. Perez had a camera there metida. Why is this allowed? The rules are equal for all".

The manager, gave his opinion: "I would have voted by Alfredo Pedrique. In the last event, that was pure coach of the Cardinals. This team is not for them, is all over the country. My decision is not irreversible, but you I can not say that game unless they are corrected many things and change the parameters of choice of players, and technical committee members, "explayose.

He concluded by saying that it respects the decision of the players and the respect that they expect from him. "Anyone who wants to play for play. I speak for Carlos Guillen."
Disappointed. Magglio Ordóñez riposte to the organizers of the World Classic. "I am not going to play, I'm not man who speaks for front and rear. If I say something you keep.

Not guabineo ", told.

The strain falconiana left their anger at the appointment of Sojo as a manager. "I'm disappointed, you know? He is my friend and we played up together. I have nothing personal against him, but it can not be that further violations of the same vagrant last time. Pelotero Al does not take into account, not us consult things, "attacked.

Ordóñez completed its explanatory statement saying: "Nobody is indispensable. If I am not going, there will be another rightfielder. I had intended to play in Venezuela, but no longer," I spit the coriano.

WHICH if they want to participate

There are players who do participate in the World Baseball Classic. One is Bob Abreu. "It seems to me that it's okay decision. Sojo is a man with experience, you already know the field. We must prepare ourselves better," explained known "Comedulce". "I'm going to go to another World Classic.

I respect the decisions of each person, as it should be, "he said.

Kelvim Escobar might not haul in the World Baseball Classic.

He has just be operated on the shoulder and is very unlikely to give him time to recover. He wants to dress in Venezuela in 2009 and gives its support to Sojo. "Luis is a tremendous person has experience. It went once and I think he learned from his mistakes. We are working in Venezuela," he said. Omar Vizquel was very short: "I love Sojo as manager because it is the right person." Ramon Hernandez said only: "Count on me to the event. For Venezuela we are going to compete and we must give the best of each.

I am going to prepare very well for the event, if they need me, "said the mask of the Baltimore Orioles.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: WBC   Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:36 am

08/07/2008 8:58 PM ET
Guillen, Ordonez concerned with Classic
Venezuelans worried with how national team is handled
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Carlos Guillen turned the pages of the Chicago Sun-Times and found the remarks from Carlos Zambrano. The Cubs ace said he wasn't sure if he would play for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic because of the way the National Baseball Federation handled the team in the inaugural event three years ago. It was a familiar message for Guillen.

Guillen has been saying some of the same things this year, adding that he doubted he would play. On Thursday, he and countryman Magglio Ordonez put their concerns on the record and said they won't play in the upcoming Classic unless the national team organizers made changes and consulted with players. So far, they're among the most outspoken of a number of Venezuelan players with the same message, and they're hoping Major League Baseball gets involved if need be.

"If they really care about the Venezuelan team, they'd better do something," Guillen said, "because nobody's happy with what's going on in the organization."

It's a difficult position for them to take. On one hand, they would like to represent their country, and they obviously receive pressure from fans back home to do so. However, they were unhappy with the way the first tournament went for them. Some of it was a matter of growing pains for a first-time event, but the larger issue for them was not being involved in some of the decisions.

The problems were enough that Guillen said the process "made us feel like clowns, to me. They don't respect us."

It's nothing against MLB or the tournament itself, but the national organizing committee. The larger issue for them is that players aren't consulted on decisions.

According to Guillen, the problems began with the first game of the tournament, when he said they didn't have uniforms until just before game time because patches from a sponsor were being sewn onto jerseys.

Other problems included players not being able to get tickets for family members, players having to share hotel rooms, and some players not receiving money for meals. After at least one game, Guillen said, they had a postgame meal from Burger King. Reporters weren't allowed in the dugouts, Guillen continued, but someone with a video camera was allowed because he was shooting a video to be distributed among team members. The organization as a whole was different than what players on other national teams in the tournament received.

On the field was another matter. Former Major League infielder Luis Sojo managed the team three years ago and was recently named to the same post for the upcoming tournament.

"I have nothing against Sojo," Ordonez said. "I have a lot of respect for him. It was the fans in Venezuela. When he was the first manager, they criticized him. He made a lot of mistakes. I know a lot of people deserve a second chance."

However, Ordonez said, the players weren't consulted in the choice. That's the problem they have.

The Venezuelans have become a growing force in baseball, with more than 50 players in the Majors and stars such as Guillen, Ordonez, fellow Tiger Miguel Cabrera, Zambrano and Bobby Abreu. However, they were a disappointment in the inaugural Classic, finishing out of the running for a title.

Guillen has voiced his concern. He was told by a member of the organizing committee that if he didn't want to play, they had several other players who would.

"The sad thing is, the fans are the ones that suffer," Ordonez said. "They want to see our team together. They should ask the fans, the players."

Said Guillen: "I should feel very happy to represent my country. But they have to understand my point. ... They don't say anything. They don't consult with players on what we can do to get better."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WBC   

Back to top Go down

WBC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: