DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Ilitch evaluates the Tigers: 'We’ve got a big job in front of us'
By JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • September 26, 2008

Mike llitch sounds profoundly disappointed by the Tigers’ season and fiercely determined about what he calls "the real big job" of restoring the Tigers to annual contender status.

“I didn’t foresee (having) all the holes that we did,” the Tigers' owner said today. “In my wildest dreams, I didn’t anticipate that. I thought we had a nice, solid foundation that we were going to build from and keep the ballclub up, contending all the time. It didn’t work out.

“I don’t know what (changes) we’ll be making. I just want to get back to where I thought I was, and that was competing with Boston and competing with the good teams, holding your team up there, year after year. That’s my goal, personally.

“So it’s not there, so we're going to work like the dickens to get it back,” Ilitch added. “We’ve got to level off now and see where we are and have a re-analysis of who our real core players are, who we’re going to keep and who are we going to go forward with. Are we going to mix youth with veterans?

"All the areas have failed. So we have to take a look at each area and see how long it takes to repair and can we do it immediately. We’ve got a big job in front of us. A real big job.”

Ilitch spoke on the field at Comerica Park immediately after he joined the club for the annual team photo. He didn't mention general manager Dave Dombrowski nor manager Jim Leyland by name, nor did he mention any players except centerfielder Curtis Granderson (lamenting his season-opening injury) and pitcher Jeremy Bonderman (anticipating his return next season).

Ilitch also said he hasn't set a payroll limit for next season.

Ilitch consented to a $138-million payroll this season, which roughly matched the Mets for the second-largest in the majors, behind the Yankees. The Tigers have the highest payroll ever for a team to finish with a losing record, and with a few days remaining in the season, they are in jeopardy of finishing in last place in the five-team AL Central.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:14 am

09/26/2008 8:28 PM ET
Ilitch assesses Tigers' season
Owner knew Granderson's injury was a bad omen for '08
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Tigers owner Mike Ilitch had an uneasy feeling about the Tigers' season when it started.

"I had one little superstition at the beginning of the year, when our leadoff man [Curtis Granderson] broke his finger," Ilitch said Friday. "Being in sports all my life, a lot of times you start off with a little bit of a quirk. And he's our sparkplug. And I said, 'Man, with this cold weather coming up and our sparkplug out of the lineup, I'm worried about our start, getting off to a bad start.' So I was concerned, because he was out a week or two, a couple weeks."

It's a different feeling, however, than the surprise Ilitch felt when everything settled out and Detroit didn't make a run at the American League Central title, despite the offseason trades that were expected to bolster the club.

"Just like all of you, I didn't foresee to have all the holes that we did," Ilitch said. "I mean, beyond my wildest dreams, I didn't anticipate that. I thought we had a good, nice, solid foundation that we were going to build from and keep the ballclub up, contending all the time. But it didn't work out."

Friday was the date of the Tigers' annual team photo, in which Ilitch always takes part. He arrived at Comerica Park, sat for the photo alongside president/general manager Dave Dombrowski, manager Jim Leyland and his players, then paused to take questions from reporters. It was believed to be his first public remarks on the team this season.

"We've got to get back on the ball and see if we can get ourselves restructured now, correct all the mistakes that we made," Ilitch said. "We've got to go back over -- I've got to go back over -- everything that we've done. And now everybody will learn and be reminded that we're not in a normal business, and anything can happen. And I think it humbled everybody. So we'll have to pay the price."

Paying the price, he later explained, involves what the Tigers are doing now. Instead of entering the season's final weekend looking ahead to the postseason, Detroit is trying to finish out of last place despite a $138 million payroll. The Tigers will finish with their first losing record since 2005.

"Pay the price for miscalculating so deeply," Ilitch said. "In other words, we paid the price. I don't want to go through that again now. I want to make sure I get the right team together, and then I want to move forward again. I figured I lost a year, year and a half, but I'll be right back at it."

Given those remarks, what happens next year remains to be seen, especially in terms of adding talent. Before deciding any of that, Ilitch wants to focus on the current players, what went wrong in those decisions, and who comprises the core group of players around which they can build.

"I don't know what [changes] we'll be making," Ilitch said. "I just want to get back to where I thought I was, and that was competing with Boston, competing with the good teams, holding your team up there, year after year. That's my goal, personally. It's not there, so we're going to work like the dickens to get it back. But we've got to level off now, see where we're at, make a reanalysis of who our real players are and who we're going to keep and we're going to go forward with.

"Are we going to mix youth with veterans? What are we going to do exactly? ... So we've got to take a look at each area and see how long it's going to take to repair it -- and can we do it immediately? It's hard to answer the questions now. We've got a big job in front of us, a big job. I know in a year, year and a half, I'll be OK, but I'm just concerned about this next year, making sure that we make the right decisions to go forward with who we have, and then we'll go from there."

As for what kind of payroll the Tigers will carry, Ilitch indicated that decision has yet to be made, though he suggested the club has more pressing issues than that.

"I'm not sure what we would do on payroll," he said. "That would be the last thing that I'm going to look at. I mean, I'm not afraid to go out and spend money. It's been very costly, but I'm not going to change my ways. But I don't know if this year is the year to go after people. I'm more concerned about getting the team in shape and seeing who we've got and who are the real Detroit Tigers."

One player who is clearly among that group is slugging first baseman Miguel Cabrera, who has rebounded from a slow start to head into the final days tied for the AL home run lead. He has a shot to become the Tigers' first home run champ since Cecil Fielder in 1990.

Considering it was Ilitch who suggested to Dombrowski last November that they could look into acquiring him off the trading block, setting in motion the blockbuster deal, he has no regrets over that move.

"I think we've got ourselves a superstar," Ilitch said. "Coming in saying he's going to have trouble hitting American League pitching, 25 years old, that's a lot of money, he won't be able to handle it, all those types of things when you sign a big contract. So I'm proud that he stood up under the pressure and performed, I think, at a very high level. He would've gotten a lot more attention if we'd had a good ballclub, because those are not mousy numbers."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:39 am

The worst thing that happened to the Tigers was not winning the WS in 06;

You can field a contending team every season; But only 1 team out of 30 will win it

Tigers had their shot in 06

They could have won; had a couple of down seasons [ like the White Sox did after 05] and built up a team ready to win it again by 09 or 10

Instead; Ilitch tried to buy a Championship

Didn't work

Now! They stuck with a high payroll and an uncertain future
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:27 am

gs78 wrote:
The worst thing that happened to the Tigers was not winning the WS in 06;

You can field a contending team every season; But only 1 team out of 30 will win it

Tigers had their shot in 06

They could have won; had a couple of down seasons [ like the White Sox did after 05] and built up a team ready to win it again by 09 or 10

Instead; Ilitch tried to buy a Championship

Didn't work

Now! They stuck with a high payroll and an uncertain future

Very good post. I'm not going to get greedy - I want one championship from all my teams and then maybe I'll ask for more. So far the Red Wings have given me 4! Stanley Cups and the Pistons have given me 1 NBA title (and 2 more that I was way too young to remember). UM gave me the 1997 National Title. While I want more from those 3 teams, I could live with never seeing them give me another title. The Lions and Tigers have given me nothing. We should have won it in 2006 and we didn't. Honestly, I can't get all that excited about this team's future - we have a few good, young players, but most of the team is very old. If we don't win it next year, 2010 will probably be even worse.

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:24 am

It does seem that 2009 is getting set in stone as we discuss it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:11 am

Illitch has no idea what he's talking about. All he's doing is reciting what someone wrote for him to say. If you asked him what position Bobby Seay plays, he'd probably say 2nd base.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Mike Ilitch: Tigers failed in all areas
Farm system will have impact on rebuilding

BY JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • September 27, 2008

Having gotten less for $138 million than any other owner in baseball history, Mike Ilitch sounds profoundly disappointed by a Tigers season that resulted from what he calls "miscalculating so deeply" and in which "all the areas have failed."

He also sounds fiercely, hands-on determined about what he calls "the real big job" of restoring the team to annual contender status.

"I didn't foresee all the holes that we did," Ilitch told reporters Friday at Comerica Park. "In my wildest dreams, I didn't anticipate that.

"I thought we had a nice, solid foundation that we were going to build from and keep the ballclub up, contending all the time. It didn't work out."

Ilitch didn't mention general manager Dave Dombrowski or manager Jim Leyland in the 6 1/2 -minute interview. The Tigers have the highest payroll of any team in major-league history to finish with a losing record, and Ilitch made it clear he intends to express himself to club officials on how the money for next season's club is spent.

Asked what mistakes have to be corrected, Ilitch said: "I think there are a lot. But we have to sit down and agree that we're all on the same page. I feel there were a lot of mistakes made. I'm going to speak up and tell them what I think and what we should do. Get everybody's input, and we'll go from there."

Ilitch, on hand to sit front and center in the annual team photo, indicated that before he decides on how much the payroll will change next season, he and club officials will first determine what changes the team needs.

"That would be the last thing I'm going to look at," he said of the payroll. "I'm not afraid to go out and spend money. It has been very costly, but I'm not going to change my ways. But I don't know if this year is the year to go after people. I'm more concerned about getting the team in shape and seeing what we've got and who are the real Detroit Tigers."

That wasn't all.

"So it's not there, so we're going to work like the dickens to get it back," he said. "We've got to level off now and see where we are at and have a re-analysis of who our real players are and who we're going to keep and who are we going to go forward with. Are we going to mix youth with veterans? What are we going to do, exactly?

"We take a look at each area, and all the areas have failed.
So we have to take a look at each area and see how long it's going to take to repair it, and can we do it immediately. We've got a big job in front of us. A real big job."

And: "I've got to go back over everything that we've done, and I want everybody to learn and be reminded that we're not in a normal business and anything can happen. And I think it (this season) humbled everybody. So we'll have to pay the price."

Ilitch was asked what he meant by "pay the price."

"Pay the price for miscalculating so deeply," he said. "We paid the price. I don't want to go through that again now, and I want to make sure I get the right team together and I want to move forward again."

Ilitch appears to have an open mind about next season's team going into talks with his front office. He said he didn't know what changes would be made.

"I just want to get back to where I thought I was, and that was competing with Boston and competing with the good teams, holding your team up there year after year," he said. "That's my goal, personally."

But can the Tigers make enough moves to become a contender next season? Although Ilitch didn't say so specifically, he appears to believe that the Tigers' farm system would make a significant impact on the club in the season after next, 2010.

"I know in a year, year and a half, I'll be OK," he said.

But he didn't seem certain that the Tigers could resume being a contender as soon as next season. He said this season's failure had "cost us a little bit of time -- maybe a year, a year and a half."

"We've got to get back on the ball and see if I can get ourselves restructured now and correct all the mistakes that we made."

Ilitch referred specifically to only three players as he assessed the team: Curtis Granderson, whose season-opening absence he lamented; pitcher Jeremy Bonderman, whom he looked forward to having back next season, and Miguel Cabrera, whom he termed "a superstar" who "stood up under the pressure and performed at a very high level" and who "would have gotten a lot more attention if we would have had a good ballclub."

Contact JOHN LOWE at 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:27 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
Illitch has no idea what he's talking about. All he's doing is reciting what someone wrote for him to say. If you asked him what position Bobby Seay plays, he'd probably say 2nd base.
LMAO
I really hope you are not right here. If i would go out and spend this amount of $, i definitely would want to know some details about my investment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:42 am

Then ask what Jim Leyland does to the orginization and he says "Every team has their starting ace. We need to keep ours good so Leyland will be with the team a while."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:50 pm

I think he mispronounced the words, "Startling ASS"!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Almost gametime....LET'S GO RAYS!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:52 pm

tigersaint wrote:
Almost gametime....LET'S GO RAYS!!

GO RAYS Yay2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Game #3 tonight.

GO GARZA!! GO RAYS!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Wish you could be at the game, saint! We could getcha wavin' on camera!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Yeah, too bad the game is in Philly!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm

brrrrrrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm

It's supposed to lightly snow tonight and tomorrow morning....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:26 pm

Beautiful and sunny here in Florida!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:30 pm

and yet it got up to 62 here today. Felt wonderful...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:39 pm

NICE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either   

Back to top Go down

Sounds like Mr. Ilitch doesn't know what to do either
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1