DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

2008 Election Results Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:41 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
In San Francisco, Measure R has been defeated. If passed, the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant would have been renamed The George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

For those concerned, the proponents and opponents of the proposition raised an equal amount of money - $0.00.

Also, San Franciscans had TWENTY-TWO local measures and 12 state-wide propositions to consider giving them quite possibly the longest ballot ever made. In order to vote correctly in San Francisco you would have to fill out more bubbles than I have filled out for final exams in college!

Why George W Bush?

Or are you just joking
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:43 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
In San Francisco, Measure R has been defeated. If passed, the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant would have been renamed The George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

For those concerned, the proponents and opponents of the proposition raised an equal amount of money - $0.00.

Also, San Franciscans had TWENTY-TWO local measures and 12 state-wide propositions to consider giving them quite possibly the longest ballot ever made. In order to vote correctly in San Francisco you would have to fill out more bubbles than I have filled out for final exams in college!

Why George W Bush?

Or are you just joking

There is no way he is being serious.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm

But Catbox is the expert on California Politics

But you are probably right Cdurb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Why George W Bush?

Or are you just joking

I am 100% serious. The measure was overwhelmingly defeated as was measure K that would have decriminalized the world's oldest profession.

cdurbfan22 wrote:

I'm not a politician - I have no reason to lie about politics.

----------------------------

For those that still don't believe me....

click here

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:47 pm

I love San Francisco. Even the arguments against measure R takes plenty of shots at Bush....

I agree that the invasion of Iraq is the worst foreign policy blunder in the history of the US. I also agree that Bush has been the most ignorant man to ever occupy the office of President. To call him the worst President since Warren Harding is to insult the memory of Harding, who at least did not enter this country into any unnecessary wars.

Moreover, the federal debt at the end of this Administration totals over $9 trillion, not including the recent guarantees extended to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, whose liabilities may constitute an additional $5 trillion to be paid by the U.S. taxpayer. Aside from Iraq, Bush's legacy will be the addition of a prescription drug benefit of at least $1.2 trillion without any mechanism for funding the new Medicare entitlement. Bush's minions had specifically ordered the civil service from disclosing the true cost of the benefit from Congress before it had been voted upon. Maybe it would be more appropriate to name the local bankruptcy court or a consumer credit counseling center after Bush?

Besides, if we name the local sewage plant after Bush, then what's left to name after Jesse Helms?

Colin V. Gallagher

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Democrats in Congress are to blame as well Catbox

They have controlled Congress since Jan 07

And have done nothing to solve the problem

Ron Paul should be President
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:02 pm

gs78 wrote:

I didn't write that, Colin V. Gallagher did. Write to him and complain. Other than saying I don't care for Bush I don't think I've said much about the current administration. As I'm not a politician I don't look back during an election which is probably why I'm one of the small minority of people who would say economic policy is not my number one concern this election. Looking back, sure the economy is screwed up but I look forward and who knows what the economy could do. This time last year it was fine. There's probably no quick fix in store but I wouldn't be shocked if the economy was great in 12 months.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:49 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I didn't write that, Colin V. Gallagher did. Write to him and complain. Other than saying I don't care for Bush I don't think I've said much about the current administration. As I'm not a politician I don't look back during an election which is probably why I'm one of the small minority of people who would say economic policy is not my number one concern this election. Looking back, sure the economy is screwed up but I look forward and who knows what the economy could do. This time last year it was fine. There's probably no quick fix in store but I wouldn't be shocked if the economy was great in 12 months.

Sorry!

But he is wrong

Go to You Tube and watch Ron Paul on CNN

He has the right idea

Too bad he get shouted down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Ron Paul in 2012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 pm

McCain's Campaign Derailed by Market, Missteps, Embrace of Bush

Nov. 5 (Bloomberg) -- On Sept. 15, John McCain shared with a Miami audience his sense of foreboding at the unraveling of the U.S. financial system, warning that the nation was facing ``a strong headwind.''

What the Republican nominee didn't realize was that a headwind was also gathering for his presidential ambitions that would ensure his defeat by Democrat Barack Obama, 47.

McCain's campaign was derailed by the most hostile environment his party has faced in decades, with voters blaming Republicans for the meltdown of the markets, a looming recession and the burden of two wars. His troubles were compounded by his struggle to show leadership during the financial crisis, as well as the compromises he made to secure the nomination, which sullied his ``maverick'' image.

``It may have turned out that no Republican could have won,'' said media consultant Mark McKinnon, an unpaid adviser to the campaign.

McCain, speaking to a crowd of supporters in Phoenix after his defeat, said: ``It is natural to feel some disappointment tonight. Though we fell short, the failure is mine, not yours.''

When the market crisis reached its flashpoint in September, it crystallized McCain's problems: He was blindsided by events that few economists foresaw, yet his handling of the emergency also stoked doubts about his ability to take charge.

McCain, 72, had sought to calm nerves on Sept. 15 after the government bailed out the nation's largest insurer and the fourth-largest investment bank collapsed by declaring the ``fundamentals of our economy are strong.'' Obama pounced, calling him ``out of touch,'' and polls showed a growing perception among voters that the Arizona senator was weak on the economy, the issue that mattered the most to them.

A New Race

McCain then suspended his campaign and returned to Washington to help lead a financial rescue, advancing a series of proposals that lacked any organizing principle.

``The September financial crisis totally restructured the presidential race and put McCain and the Republicans forever on the defense,'' said party consultant Scott Reed, who ran Bob Dole's 1996 presidential race. ``The lead McCain had coming out of the GOP convention vanished and became an afterthought.''

Added Republican strategist John Feehery, ``If this were a car race, the financial package was the equivalent of a flat tire that McCain never seemed to be able to recover from.''

Link to Bush

McCain also never recovered from his association with President George W. Bush, who will leave office with some of the lowest job-approval ratings in history.

McCain had spent years cultivating the image of a Washington maverick, having led fights to curb campaign- spending abuses and wasteful congressional pet projects. Then, in a bid to attract the Republican base, he embraced the president's tax cuts and other initiatives. He was also among the most ardent supporters of the war in Iraq.

That enabled Obama to depict McCain as anchored in the policies of the administration and himself as the agent of change.

At the same time, McCain was unable to shake the perception that his campaign was unduly influenced by former lobbyists and Washington insiders, including campaign manager Rick Davis and top adviser Charles Black.

McCain headed into the race believing that unscripted town-hall meetings would be his ticket to victory. He had conducted more than 100 of them in New Hampshire alone, en route to a spectacular comeback there in January's primary. Such gabfests were designed to show off the real McCain -- allowing him to intersperse jokes and snippets of his life story with ``straight talk'' about America's problems.

`Double-Edged Sword'

Yet it was during town halls that McCain committed gaffes that would come back to haunt him. One occurred in December, when he said economics was ``not something I've understood as well as I should.'' The Democrats used that moment of candor against him for months.

``The town halls were a double-edged sword,'' Reed said. ``They allowed him to come back in New Hampshire, but after he became the nominee, he often went off-script and off-message. And that confused voters.''

Other McCain actions fueled skepticism about the man who first limped onto the national stage in 1973 as a celebrated ex-prisoner-of-war.

After losing the Republican nomination in 2000 to Bush, McCain began the 2008 primaries as the frontrunner, backed by the party establishment. The role didn't suit him.

As the oldest White House contender in a crowded field, he touted himself as the steadiest hand on the nation's tiller. That proved a difficult message to sell after he allowed his own campaign to spend into near-bankruptcy by the summer of 2007, while ignoring infighting among top aides.

`No Surrender'

Facing the imminent collapse of his White House run, McCain fired several senior aides, laid off others and launched a ``No Surrender'' bus tour that highlighted his call for victory in Iraq and his determination to soldier on with a low- budget, long-shot bid for the nomination.

Focusing almost exclusively on New Hampshire, McCain seemed energized to be rid of his frontrunner's mantle and pressed on with his insurgent campaign.

While his victory there paved the way to his nomination, he failed to prepare for the general-election campaign, even as Senator Obama of Illinois and Senator Hillary Clinton of New York were still fighting it out for the Democratic nomination.

``McCain had what most presidential campaigns would kill for -- an open field in front of them while two potential opponents were beating the hell out of each other,'' said Reed Galen, McCain's former deputy campaign manager.

It took McCain until May to open a field office in Ohio. ``That should have happened on March 1,'' Galen said.

Looking Desperate

For months, McCain also refused to criticize Obama for his past association with the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, his former pastor in Chicago. When McCain finally began questioning Obama's links to William Ayers, a former terrorist, the belated attacks ``made McCain look desperate,'' Reed said.

McCain's selection of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was also derided by Democrats and even some Republicans as a desperate attempt to hold onto the party's base, because of her anti- abortion views and support for gun rights.

While Palin, 44, galvanized Republican conservatives, her views and tenuous grasp of key issues drove away independents. Her selection also allowed critics to argue that McCain had made a mockery of his ``Country First'' motto by naming someone widely regarded as unprepared to be commander-in-chief.

The number of voters with doubts about her qualifications grew as Election Day approached.

Attack Ads

As he sagged in the polls, McCain unleashed blistering attacks on Obama that even some supporters found excessive. One McCain ad falsely claimed Obama had backed ``comprehensive sex education'' for kindergartners. On the stump, McCain questioned Obama's patriotism.

It was no small irony that McCain's tactics were the handiwork of campaign operatives who had worked for Bush and whose brass-knuckle tactics had buried McCain's bid for the Republican nomination eight years ago. The smear campaign included whispers that McCain had fathered a black child out of wedlock.

After denouncing the Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003, McCain campaigned to make them permanent. He made up with evangelical leaders he had denounced as ``agents of intolerance.'' Once a champion of immigration reform, he now focused on border security.

Banishing Reporters

Another change came when McCain's top tactician, Steve Schmidt, banished reporters from his campaign bus, ending those rambling conversations that McCain credited with sharpening his thinking.

To further minimize the chances of McCain committing gaffes, Schmidt persuaded him to stop speaking off-the-cuff. Even in casual, small gatherings, McCain was reduced to casting furtive glances at note cards for his talking points.

Ultimately, it was the economy that did McCain in, playing to his biggest weakness and Obama's greatest strength.

The implosion of the markets ``just broke the back of the Republican Party,'' said Charlie Cook, publisher of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.

To contact the reporters on this story: Edwin Chen in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at echen32@bloomberg.net Hans Nichols with Palin's campaign at hnichols2@bloomberg.net

Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Good luck, Mr. President-Elect. You will need it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:15 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Why George W Bush?

Or are you just joking

I am 100% serious. The measure was overwhelmingly defeated as was measure K that would have decriminalized the world's oldest profession.

cdurbfan22 wrote:

I'm not a politician - I have no reason to lie about politics.

----------------------------

For those that still don't believe me....

click here

I believe you, but I mean you joke sometimes, so I thought maybe.
My mistake, I apologize.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:28 pm

They should name an airport or something after George W Bush.

The best terrorist fighter this nation will ever see
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Didn't FDR fight terrorists, too? FDR will go down as a better President than Bush.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:32 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Didn't FDR fight terrorists, too? FDR will go down as a better President than Bush.

No

FDR helped beat the Japs and Nazis

Bush fought Islamic Terror

America has been safe since 9-11

That will probably change after January
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, I am glad to see that G W Bush is not being an Asshat like Bill Clinton in the transfer of presidents. Bill did everything he and Hillary could do to sabotage the transition, down to stealing furniture, destroying computer keyboards, etc.

George is working with the new team to make the transfer the smoothest ever from one president to another. In fact, he has been working with both Obama and McCain for over 2 months trying to get advance teams security clear and ready to go from day one.

Now, I may not agree with everything George has done, but to me that is just a downright class act!

---------------------------------------

Bush sets up transition team to help next president
Thu Oct 9, 2008 7:15pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush on Thursday established a transition team to help the new president elected in November and his administration as they prepare to enter the White House.

The order is aimed at ensuring "a seamless presidential transition," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

"This is especially important as our nation is fighting a war, dealing with a financial crisis and working to protect ourselves from future terrorist attacks," she said.

Bush's executive order set up the "Presidential Transition Coordinating Council" which will be headed by White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and include White House officials who deal with national security, counterterrorism and economic policy.

continued...

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Clinton probably had to get everything fumigated to cover up all the sinful sex acts in the White House
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

No

How are the Japanese at Pearl Harbor not terrorists? They came here and killed innocent people. We then went to war with them. What's the difference?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

No

How are the Japanese at Pearl Harbor not terrorists? They came here and killed innocent people. We then went to war with them. What's the difference?

Because it is not PC to label them as such
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Same reason You won't find the words "A day that will live in Infamy" at the Pearl Harbor Museum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 pm

It is offensive to the Japanese
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:43 pm

gs78 wrote:

Because the Japanese aren't/weren't terrorists. The Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor were. Now for a comment that would probably get me arrested if we were still fighting World War II.....

While Hitler and all his people were indeed evil, the German people of a whole were not. It must have been awful to be German or of German ancestry in the 1940s.....people that were completely innocent became the targets of hate rather quickly. Just because a government is all screwed up doesn't mean all its people are. If Hitler came back to life and was overthrew are government and became Dictator of the United States would that make all Americans evil Nazis? I don't think so.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Because the Japanese aren't/weren't terrorists. The Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor were. Now for a comment that would probably get me arrested if we were still fighting World War II.....

While Hitler and all his people were indeed evil, the German people of a whole were not. It must have been awful to be German or of German ancestry in the 1940s.....people that were completely innocent became the targets of hate rather quickly. Just because a government is all screwed up doesn't mean all its people are. If Hitler came back to life and was overthrew are government and became Dictator of the United States would that make all Americans evil Nazis? I don't think so.

The problem I have with the PC

Is that they alter history after it happened

The Japanese Navy under the orders of the Emperor bombed Pearl Harbor

Yet

Saying the Phrase " A day that will live in infamy" is offensive to the Japanese today

Why?

Or not showing photos of FDR in a wheelchair is somehow offensive to handicaped people

Even though FDR was rarely photographed in one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Quote :
Or not showing photos of FDR in a wheelchair is somehow offensive to handicaped people

The press, back then, had morals. They respected the person of the President (or congress). Even if they did not like what he did, they did not try to cause harm to his physical image.

Now the press will use whatever they can to make a person look ineffective physically, if they are not for them! Just look at the negative comments they made of McCain not being able to raise his arms like "normal." They tried to make his war injuries into him being weak, or not acceptable!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 pm

In case you're wondering, Ron Paul received 19,583 votes. Ahead of him were Alan Keyes (35,105), Cynthia McKinney (143,224), Chuck Baldwin (175,101), Bob Barr, Jr. (489,743), Ralph Nader (658,618) and of course John McCain (56,412,952) and Barack Obama (63,905,968).

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Speaking of Nader, he didn't make any friends on FOX News yesterday warning that Obama could become Uncle Tom.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:38 am

Same-sex marriage issue heading back to state Supreme Court

(11-05) 18:16 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- A day after California voters approved a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, the incendiary issue returned to the state Supreme Court, where gay and lesbian couples and the city of San Francisco filed lawsuits Wednesday seeking to overturn Proposition 8.

Meanwhile, Attorney General Jerry Brown, who represents the state in court, said he would defend the legality of the thousands of same-sex marriages conducted in the 4 1/2 months leading up to election day - even though sponsors of Prop. 8 say the measure was intended to invalidate those marriages. That controversy is also likely to end up before California's high court and could reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

"It is my belief that the courts will hold that these same-sex marriages entered into are valid," Brown said in a statement. He said he would defend Prop. 8 against legal challenges, but would also defend "the marriages contracted during the time that same-sex marriage was the law in California."

A research institute at UCLA has estimated that 18,000 same-sex couples have married in California since the state Supreme Court's ruling legalizing such marriages took effect June 16. In a victory statement Tuesday night, the Yes on 8 campaign asserted that from now on, "only marriage between a man and a woman will be valid or recognized in California, regardless of when or where performed."

Campaign manager Frank Schubert said Wednesday, however, that his organization has no plans to challenge any of those marriages in court. The question will have to be decided by "the court that created that problem" by refusing to suspend its ruling until after the election, he said, without describing how it might reach the court.

Prop. 8 would overturn the court's 4-3 ruling May 15 that declared same-sex couples had the right to marry under the California Constitution on the grounds of privacy and equal protection. Backers of the measure made the court a focus of their campaign, accusing "activist judges" of thwarting the will of voters who had approved a similar measure as an initiative statute in 2000.

Three lawsuits were filed directly with the state Supreme Court on Wednesday, seeking orders immediately blocking enforcement of Prop. 8 and ultimately striking it down as a violation of fundamental rights in the California Constitution.The plaintiffs are six unmarried same-sex couples and the advocacy group Equality California; another couple who married shortly after the May 15 ruling took effect; and the cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles, joined by Santa Clara County.

Although their lawyers would not discuss their strategy publicly, each suit seeks to overturn Prop. 8 on the basis of state law and avoids federal constitutional claims that could send the case to the U.S. Supreme Court. Gay-rights advocates have tried to keep such disputes away from the nation's high court, out of fear that the justices would issue a nationwide ruling rejecting any right of same-sex marriage under the U.S. Constitution.

That leaves the plaintiffs with the difficult task of showing that Prop. 8, a state constitutional amendment, violates other, more basic provisions of California's charter. The court has almost always rejected such challenges to other constitutional amendments.

Some of the same legal organizations filing suit Wednesday offered similar arguments this summer to try to remove Prop. 8 from the ballot, but the court refused, while leaving room for a post-election challenge.

The couples' lawsuits contend Prop. 8 is so far-reaching that it is not merely a constitutional amendment but a revision, which requires a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to reach the ballot. Such a vote would be unlikely in an Assembly and state Senate overwhelmingly controlled by Democrats.

The plaintiffs argued that the measure offends constitutional principles by taking important rights away from a historically persecuted minority - gays and lesbians - while stripping judges of their power to protect that group.

"A major purpose of the Constitution is to protect minorities from majorities," said Elizabeth Gill, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union, one of the groups suing on behalf of the six unmarried couples. "Because changing that principle is a fundamental change to the organizing principles of the Constitution itself, only the Legislature can initiate such revisions."

The suit by San Francisco, Los Angeles and Santa Clara County goes a step further and argues that any measure allowing a majority of the public to take away minority rights violates principles of equality at the heart of the state Constitution.

"If allowed to stand, Prop. 8 so devastates the principle of equal protection that it endangers the fundamental rights of any potential electoral minority," said San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera.

Sponsors of the initiative were unimpressed. Andrew Pugno, lawyer for the Prop. 8 campaign, called the legal challenges "an insult to California voters and an attack on the initiative process."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:30 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Quote :

The press, back then, had morals. They respected the person of the President (or congress). Even if they did not like what he did, they did not try to cause harm to his physical image.

Now the press will use whatever they can to make a person look ineffective physically, if they are not for them! Just look at the negative comments they made of McCain not being able to raise his arms like "normal." They tried to make his war injuries into him being weak, or not acceptable!

including all the sliming of Sarah Palin...even by disgruntled McCain campaign workers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:37 pm

UPDATE:

They have just declared North Carolina for Obama. With only Missouri left, McCain must win Missouri 19 times to be elected President.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Who cares! The election is over.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election Results Thread   

Back to top Go down

2008 Election Results Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next