DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

$5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Tuesday, March 17, 2009
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- An Ohio congresswoman has proposed a wide-ranging program to give consumers up to a $5,000 cash voucher to buy new, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Rep. Betty Sutton, D-Ohio, proposes giving consumers vouchers in exchange for turning in vehicles at least eight years old, dubbed the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save bill, or CARS Act.

"The CARS Act will achieve many goals: consumers will finally get a break to purchase more fuel-efficient vehicles; we will all benefit from a reduction of CO2; and the auto industry will get a jumpstart to spur sales," Sutton said. "This legislation will help consumers, stimulate our economy, improve our environment, reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and help our domestic auto and related industries, upon which millions of American families depend for employment."

Consumers would have to buy a more efficient vehicle than their current model to qualify.

The vehicles would also have to have a price-tag of $35,000 or less. It would also give higher-value vouchers for vehicles assembled in North America -- up to $5,000 -- versus up to $4,000 vouchers for vehicles assembled outside North America.

GM chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner told reporters today in Washington that a bill to offer cash for older cars could benefit the industry.

"These kind of programs can have a huge impact," Wagoner said, adding that it could boost consumer confidence. "It would be very helpful to have something like that here in the United States."

He pointed to a roughly 15 percent increase in auto sales in Germany last month over the same period a year ago after they introduced a similar program.

Consumers could also turn in their vehicles in exchange for a mass transit voucher.

"By providing a transit voucher option, this bill will also encourage the use of mass transit, which will similarly benefit our economy and environment," Sutton said.

Ford Motor Co. praised the bill.

"The 'CARS Act' legislation is a win-win-win for consumers, the environment and energy independence. By providing incentives to purchase a new vehicle, the legislation would help reduce consumer costs, jumpstart the economy and help support millions of good jobs in every state across the nation," Ford said in a statement.

The bill could also help speed the improvement of the auto fleet's fuel efficiency. Automakers must increase the efficiency by at least 40 percent to a fleetwide 35 mpg by 2020.

Office of Management and Budget director Peter Orszag told reporters Tuesday that the administration is "on track" to finalize the first new requirements -- the 2011 model year fuel efficiency standard -- under the 2007 energy law by March 30.

You can reach David Shepardson at (202) 662 - 8735 or dshepardson@detnews.com.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Now this program makes sense! Get the money to the people to use, instead of to companies to waste! It stimulates sales of fuel efficient cars, which keeps the automakers selling product.

It was told that if the government had taken all the bailout money, and divided it up between all the adults in the US, people would have been spending like crazy, stimulating all aspects of the economy!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:56 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Now this program makes sense! Get the money to the people to use, instead of to companies to waste! It stimulates sales of fuel efficient cars, which keeps the automakers selling product.

It was told that if the government had taken all the bailout money, and divided it up between all the adults in the US, people would have been spending like crazy, stimulating all aspects of the economy!

But how much do these cars cost

5,000 grand means nothing if people can't afford the payments each month
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:57 pm

And beware of anything being labeled fuel-efficient

Says who

The Government?

The Big 3?

Like they never lie or stray from the truth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:07 pm

gs78 wrote:

Says who

The Government?

The Big 3?

They (the EPA I think?) runs tests and says how many miles per gallon it gets and sticks it on the sticker. Someone (the government?) says how many miles per gallon it must get to be fuel-efficient.

We've bought plenty of new cars over the years and the numbers they give out tend to be fairly close.

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:11 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Says who

The Government?

The Big 3?

They (the EPA I think?) runs tests and says how many miles per gallon it gets and sticks it on the sticker. Someone (the government?) says how many miles per gallon it must get to be fuel-efficient.

We've bought plenty of new cars over the years and the numbers they give out tend to be fairly close.

How much do these vehicles cost?

And will it help the Big 3

Or will any potential profits be wasted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm

The best fuel-efficient vehicles are foreign (Toyota Prius being the first one that comes to mind).

Sticker price on the Prius is $22,000 for the cheap model. That particular model gets 48 MPG.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Of the 10 most fuel-efficient autos (according to Yahoo! Autos) all 10 of them are foreign (as are 13 of the top 15).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:16 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
The best fuel-efficient vehicles are foreign (Toyota Prius being the first one that comes to mind).

Sticker price on the Prius is $22,000 for the cheap model. That particular model gets 48 MPG.

That means people will have to pay 17,000 at least

How many people can afford it right now

I sure as heck can't

I wish i could
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:17 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Of the 10 most fuel-efficient autos (according to Yahoo! Autos) all 10 of them are foreign (as are 13 of the top 15).

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 pm

The EPA stated fuel efficiency, listed on car stickers, was refined last year. Some companies used inflated numbers in the past. You had to drive carefully to achieve the label amount (which I have been able to equal or do better on all cars I have owned during the last 20 years!) Last year, you may have noticed cars that did not make anything but cosmetic changes end up with MPG figures about 2 miles lower than before. The EPA changed the evaluation method to reflect more real world driving habits. An example is the Impala. It was rated at 30-31 mpg. Now the exact same configured car is listed at 29.

So, I am sure they would use the EPA books for your car's model and year to judge if your new car is more effecient than the one you are trading in, or replacing.

At to people not being able to afford the new cars... if you apply all the incentives that are out there being offered by manufacturers, minus the value of your present car, minus the incentive from this voucher, minus the dickered price you work out with the dealer, the new car will have a low price difference.

Take a Malibu (2009 car of the year)
$26,425 sticker
$25,000 invoice (check sites like vehix.com) I always pay near invoice.
$05,500- voucher
$19,500---
$02,750- bonus cash
$16,750

minus trade in value, plus if you own the same brand, they have 1000 to 3000 off the price...

In the case of this car, it would cost me about 7,000 or 8,000.

If I went with a US built KIA or Hundai, It would probably cost me around 3,000 or 4,000 for a new car!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:50 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Crying or Very sad

They may be foreign manufacturers... but many are made in North America!

About the same with American manufacturers... many of their cars are NOT made in America, but are made in North America (US, Canada, Mexico) My current Buick Century was made in Canada!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:04 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
The EPA stated fuel efficiency, listed on car stickers, was refined last year. Some companies used inflated numbers in the past. You had to drive carefully to achieve the label amount (which I have been able to equal or do better on all cars I have owned during the last 20 years!) Last year, you may have noticed cars that did not make anything but cosmetic changes end up with MPG figures about 2 miles lower than before. The EPA changed the evaluation method to reflect more real world driving habits. An example is the Impala. It was rated at 30-31 mpg. Now the exact same configured car is listed at 29.

So, I am sure they would use the EPA books for your car's model and year to judge if your new car is more effecient than the one you are trading in, or replacing.

At to people not being able to afford the new cars... if you apply all the incentives that are out there being offered by manufacturers, minus the value of your present car, minus the incentive from this voucher, minus the dickered price you work out with the dealer, the new car will have a low price difference.

Take a Malibu (2009 car of the year)
$26,425 sticker
$25,000 invoice (check sites like vehix.com) I always pay near invoice.
$05,500- voucher
$19,500---
$02,750- bonus cash
$16,750

minus trade in value, plus if you own the same brand, they have 1000 to 3000 off the price...

In the case of this car, it would cost me about 7,000 or 8,000.

If I went with a US built KIA or Hundai, It would probably cost me around 3,000 or 4,000 for a new car!

Dang! A Malibu costs that much Stunned

You could get a BMW for less than 3,000 more (or if you prefer American - you can get a Ford Mustang for $5,000 less).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 pm

I know, it is high to me also. I would love a malibu, but would probably end up with a Kia, Toyota Corolla or Camry, Chev. Cobalt, or a Dodge Caliber (abt 15K) or Journey. Ford Focus (35 mpg abt $15k.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:52 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I know, it is high to me also. I would love a malibu, but would probably end up with a Kia, Toyota Corolla or Camry, Chev. Cobalt, or a Dodge Caliber (abt 15K) or Journey. Ford Focus (35 mpg abt $15k.

I thought they were lower-end cars.

My dad goes for cheap cars and has a Hyundai and he's pretty fond of it. My mom drives an Accord which is barely more than that Malibu.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 pm

The Accord is a great car, and made in usa.

Malibu is no longer a low end car.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 am

Makes me wish I could have waited to buy my wife her new car! Back in November, her transmission went out after 116,000 miles, so I traded it in on a 2009 Ford Fusion. This car is loaded! Premium cloth (velour) seats, power moonroof, Microsoft SYNC voice activated stereo with USB/Bluetooth connection...the list goes on. It has a 4 cyl. engine (sticker says 28 mpg highway) that gets over 32 mpg.

Anyway...after my employee discount (which almost everyone gets these days) and the rebates being offered, my out-the-door price was $16,500. Take off another $5,000 for being more fuel efficient, and take off more for being made in the USA, minus trade in value on the old car, that Fusion could be had for as little as $8,000! Stunned That's 50% of what I paid 4 months ago! Nod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $5,000 voucher pushed for new fuel-efficient vehicles   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1