DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Leyland gushes about city, fans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Leyland gushes about city, fans   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Leyland gushes about city, fans: 'I wish I could give every one of them a ticket'

By MARK SNYDER • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • June 25, 2009

The Detroit Tigers completed their perfect six-game home stand this afternoon with a 6-5 win over the Chicago Cubs. They're 10 games over .500 (41-31), their best mark since the end of the 2007 season.

Almost as impressive was the announced crowd of 42,332 on a 93-degree afternoon.

When asked by a reporter during his postgame news conference whether the buzz at the ballpark is similar to the electric summer of 2006, Tigers manager Jim Leyland showed his affinity for the city.

“I think it’s a little bit different this year,” Leyland said. “The buzz in the ballpark is so good because of what’s going on. It makes you feel good because of what’s happening in the community and everything and the people out of work. So it’s a little more stressful to play good here, not that it wasn’t in 2006 because it was, but it’s good to see people getting out. Sold out today, because of the economy and everything, it’s unbelievable.

"I know there were a bunch of people downtown for the fireworks (Wednesday). Detroit’s a tough, resilient town, and they’re going to make it. They’re not going to give up, they’re going to fight and going to make it. I think what you’re seeing out here is case in point. They’re out here supporting their team. I wish I could give every one of them a ticket, to be honest with you, for one game. But I can’t. I wish I could because the support is unbelievable. The combination of the support along with the type of games we’ve had -- it’s not like it’s 10-2, 10-1, either them or us, it’s been real nail-biter to the end -- that really gets them into it. They’re fired up when they come out here, and we’ve been able to fire them up even more because, fortunately, the way we’ve played for a few good real games.

“I believed all along. I know we’re going to be down (in attendance); it’s impossible not to be down with the way the situation is. But I believed all along if we play good, they’ll come out. Maybe not as many as we would like or maybe not as many as the last couple years, but this is a proven sports place. I keep talking about it all the time. St. Louis and Detroit are the two best baseball towns for me, without any question, they’re the two best. They’ll come out, they’ll figure out a way to get in the ballpark and support their team. That’s what I like about it. Detroit fans, they’re different. They don’t care who the leftfielder, rightfielder, centerfielder, rightfielder, manager is, they’re Detroit Tiger fans and that’s what the best thing about it is to me. ... It’s just a great baseball town.

“We’d like to do something special for them, but I’m not putting the cart before the horse. We’re playing pretty good, it’s June (25), and I’m not getting excited about that. But I’m happy to see happy faces; I’m happy to see people up there drinking a beer, having a good time. It’s great, it’s wonderful.”

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland gushes about city, fans   Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Too bad at least 10,000 fans that day were Cubs Fans from Chicago
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Leyland gushes about city, fans
Page 1 of 1