DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Could use some prayers from my extended family

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi gang! Long time no see! Well...in a nutshell...here's the "skinny" of it..

I went to the docs about a month or so ago for routine tests (stuff us guys have to deal with when we reach a certain age). I got a call from doc today, and I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. If there is any bright side to it, it's that he found it in it's infancy stages. It hasn't spread to any other organs (that he can tell)..and should only require a partial kidney removal. Worse case scenario is that I have to have the entire kidney removed, but that still leaves me with one perfectly functioning kidney.

While it doesn't appear to be life-threatening at this point...it's still scary as hell being 39 and having such a diagnosis. Any prayers I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 am

Sorry to hear about that. Catching things like that early is always a good sign. I'm sure you'll do just fine and you have my best wishes. Not sure what else to say as I suck at these types of things.

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:16 am

I am so sorry to hear of your news. My prayers are with you. We have a mighty God who I am sure will see you through successfully.

Be strong, and stay close to God.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks GoGetEm...I'm sure He will get me through this (he got us through 2003 lol). After researching what I could, I'm pretty confident things will go well. Surgery will be done at the Cleveland Clinic, which ranks 2nd in the nation in this type of thing. The surgeon my Dr has hand picked for me is a pioneer in what they call "The Gold Standard" for this type of procedure...so I'm comfortable with that. Thank you for the prayers..and trust me...I am being as strong as humanly possible. The rest is in God's hands...and I'm ok with that, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Sorry to hear about that. Catching things like that early is always a good sign. I'm sure you'll do just fine and you have my best wishes. Not sure what else to say as I suck at these types of things.

LOL...yeah...I kinda suck at it, too. But I know what you are saying. It was a complete fluke that my Dr found it. He sent me for a cat scan to look for one thing (which he didn't find)...but he did see the cancer mass...which he wasn't even really looking for. He basically told me that I had better odds of winning the lottery than finding something like this by mistake. So needless to say, I bought a lottery ticket..lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
So needless to say, I bought a lottery ticket..lol

I take it you didn't win Sorry

Oh yeah, stay upbeat and everything. While this news isn't good news, it sounds like it's not that bad. There are certainly worse conditions to have....like symptomatic rabies (with six exceptions, that is 100% fatal).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
Hi gang! Long time no see! Well...in a nutshell...here's the "skinny" of it..

I went to the docs about a month or so ago for routine tests (stuff us guys have to deal with when we reach a certain age). I got a call from doc today, and I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. If there is any bright side to it, it's that he found it in it's infancy stages. It hasn't spread to any other organs (that he can tell)..and should only require a partial kidney removal. Worse case scenario is that I have to have the entire kidney removed, but that still leaves me with one perfectly functioning kidney.

While it doesn't appear to be life-threatening at this point...it's still scary as hell being 39 and having such a diagnosis. Any prayers I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

pray :back_hug:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:27 am

Sorry to hear it, Ohio. Glad to hear it was caught early. Stay vigilant and hopeful. You have prayers aplenty here Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers gang. Getting ready to head to Cleveland to see the surgeon. I may have worked my last day this year, so the vacation will be kind of nice, especially with the Holidays coming up...I just wish it were under better circumstances..lol. I'll post more info sometime tonight after I have had a chance to absorb it all in (along with a couple of Bud Lights) and have a better understanding of exactly what is going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Glad to hear you're staying upbeat and everything. Any sort of surgery sucks (even something like an appendectomy which is as routine as it gets) but it sounds like yours won't be too bad. A kidney is way better than some other organ since you have more than one. Even if the surgery were to go worse than planned and they had to remove a kidney it still isn't a big deal since you have 2...people donate a kidney all the time and do just fine. Having a big margin for error always increases your odds.

Enjoy the time off work!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 am

Appointment with Doc went well today. Surgery will be Monday, Nov. 9th. Surgery itsself will last 2 1/2 - 4 hrs, with 3-5 days recovery/observation. He will only remove the non-functional part of the kidney where the cancer tumor is, however, there is a 5% chance that the tumor is deeper than the CT images show, in which case, the entire kidney will come out. Once he has completed the surgery, I will be 100% cancer free!

Funny thing about it...judging by the size of the tumor and the type of cancer it is, it has been lingering and growing in there for about 10 yrs. The tumor is now 4 cm, and they grow at a rate of .3 - .4 cm per year. Makes me wonder why it has never shown up before when I had MRI's and other testing done in the past....hmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 am

My prayers are with ya, my friend. Considering how long the tumor has been there, you know somebody was looking out for you! I am glad they found the cancer... and yes, you wonder why they never detected it before, probably they never imaged that exact area before.

Many people think an MRI looks at large areas, but normally they zero in on a smaller, suspect area, which leaves us all to wonder what is going on in our bodies, that the doctors do not know about. It makes me wonder if every 20 years, or so, that we should have a complete cat scan, or other scan..... . I was shocked when I found out that I had a non functioning pituitary gland and they think it started failing when I was 15 years old, or so. It caused problem after problem spanning at least 25 years. They caught my problem about 5 years after doctors fully understood the problem, and at that point they said if they had not found the cause of my health problems, I would have been dead within 5-7 years!

I mention this just to say, I understand what you are going through, and you wonder how doctors miss problems for such a long amount of time.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:47 am

That's amazing, GoGetEm...sounds like you were very fortunate indeed, just as I was. I agree with the full-body cat scans on a regular basis. It's amazing what they find "on accident". Post-op instructions will include a full cat scan every year for 2 or 3 years, then one every 5 yrs. That in itsself is comforting to know to look for other possible areas that may have been affected. I just would have thought that after all the tests my Dr put me through (this guy was the ipitome of thorough!), some little hint would have shown up! I've had numerous scans of all types, blood tests, ekg's, stress echos...the works.

But hey...bottom line is, we caught it before it spread to the adrenal glands and liver.....that's the key...and for that, I am greatful. I really have to thank my wife for it though...had it not been for her, I would have never gone to the Dr in the 1st place. She was the one that detected something "out of the ordinary" to begin with that led me to call the Dr.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:37 am

Surgery doesn't sound too bad/long. Even an appendectomy takes 60-90 minutes and that barely even counts as surgery.

As for a full body scan, from what I understand they're pretty pointless for diagnostic purposes. They tend to find lots of stuff that looks at stuff which causes the patient to go through tons of needless tests to find out that stuff that looked harmless actually was harmless (you can't ignore something when you find it). For the uninsured, these tests get rather expensive. Also, studies have shown that he use of whole-body scanning has not been shown to detect disease earlier or extend life of a healthy, symptomless person, than a physical exam and traditional screening tests.

NOTE: That last point was from wikipedia. The first bit was from an actual doctor that my mom dates. We talk medicine all the time. Today we discussed full body CTs. Yesterday we talked about whether HIV would be the cure for lupus and vice-versa.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Sorry to hear this. Of course I'll keep you in my prayers.

It doesn't sound too serious though, so that's good.

pray

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks Bob. You're right...it doesn't. But when I first got word, I have to admit, I was scared shitless. I had no idea what was going to be involved, other than surgery. After consulting with the professionals at the Cleveland Clinic, my fears have dwindled. However, no surgeries are ever foolproof, so the prayers are still very welcome....if for no other reason than to help me through the procedure and quick recovery. Thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:27 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
My prayers are with ya, my friend. Considering how long the tumor has been there, you know somebody was looking out for you! I am glad they found the cancer... and yes, you wonder why they never detected it before, probably they never imaged that exact area before.

Many people think an MRI looks at large areas, but normally they zero in on a smaller, suspect area, which leaves us all to wonder what is going on in our bodies, that the doctors do not know about. It makes me wonder if every 20 years, or so, that we should have a complete cat scan, or other scan..... . I was shocked when I found out that I had a non functioning pituitary gland and they think it started failing when I was 15 years old, or so. It caused problem after problem spanning at least 25 years. They caught my problem about 5 years after doctors fully understood the problem, and at that point they said if they had not found the cause of my health problems, I would have been dead within 5-7 years!

I mention this just to say, I understand what you are going through, and you wonder how doctors miss problems for such a long amount of time.

Nod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:23 pm

ןoן ˙spǝǝu ןɐɔıpǝɯ ʎɯ ǝןpuɐɥ oʇ ǝɹɐɔɐɯɐqo uo ʎןǝɹ oʇ pɐɥ ı ɟı ǝq pןnoʍ pןɹoʍ ʎɯ ʍoɥ sı sıɥʇ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
ןoן ˙spǝǝu ןɐɔıpǝɯ ʎɯ ǝןpuɐɥ oʇ ǝɹɐɔɐɯɐqo uo ʎןǝɹ oʇ pɐɥ ı ɟı ǝq pןnoʍ pןɹoʍ ʎɯ ʍoɥ sı sıɥʇ

very true

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:23 pm

LMAO Sorry...had to do it...I love doing that and messin with people... ROFL

Anyway...I have to report in Monday at 9:00 am for surgical prep, and the actually surgery will begin somewhere between 10:00 and 11:00. Hopefully, I'll be in a room and awake just in time for dinner. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:30 pm

I will be praying for God to be guiding the hands of your surgeon. I know things will work out. And thank God this is taking place before Obamacare has wrecked the medical care in America!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks GoGetEm. I'm sure everything will work out just fine. I have all the trust in God that I will be back to my old self in no time....minus this damn cancer hangin off my Kindney...lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:27 am

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
Hopefully, I'll be in a room and awake just in time for dinner. Smile

Doesn't hospital food suck though?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:39 am

typically, yes, but the Cleveland Clinic has some GREAT food. I've already sampled some of it...it's actually pretty good for cafeteria food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
typically, yes, but the Cleveland Clinic has some GREAT food. I've already sampled some of it...it's actually pretty good for cafeteria food.

In my area, a couple of hospitals have very good food also. My grandparents actually used to one of the hospital's cafeteria to eat, instead of a restaurant!

I also have heard from family, who lives closer to Cleveland, that Cleveland Clinics food is good!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Is finally home from the hospital! Surgery was a success. No sign of cancer left anywhere. Still in quite a bit of pain, and the painkillers are making me somewhat loopy, so I'll just leave it at that for now (out of fear that the drugs might make me sound totally whacko...lol). I'll post more after the pain has subsided and I'm not all loopy.

Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts during this whole mess!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:24 pm

I am so happy to hear everything went as expected. Get some much needed rest, and heal quickly, my friend!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Great news!

PARTY!

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:42 am

Glad to hear it all went well. clap

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks gang! It feels great to be home. I still have a drain hanging out of my side (connected to the kidney) to allow excess fluid to empty and avoid infection. I suspect it will come out when I go back for my follow-up with doc next Thursday.

I have 6 small-ish incisions where they actually performed the procedure. As I understand it, most of the procedure was done robotically. Doc just guided the camera and robotic arm via the use of a 50" plasma screen tv in the O.R. The only real pain left is from my muscles/skin being stretched when they inflated me with CO2 and made me look like balloon.

I'm now able to control the pain with just one percocet every 6-8 hrs, as opposed to the 2 percocets every 4 hrs when I was in the hospital.I'm sure it's going to be a while before I'm completely back to normal, but I am seeing progress on a daily basis. Still waiting to get my appetite back, but I'm sure it won't be too long before I'm back to my old eating habits.

Now I get to spend the next 4 weeks or so "chillaxin" around the house and playing video games. No lifting more than 10 lbs for 4 weeks, then a couple of weeks of not lifting more than 25 lbs. I should fatten up pleanty by the time Christmas rolls around...lol. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could use some prayers from my extended family   

Back to top Go down

Could use some prayers from my extended family
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1