DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
Number of posts : 57424
Age : 58
Location : Eastern Ohio, near Wheeling WV
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Reputation : 20
Registration date : 2007-10-05
|Subject: Quick Hits Sunday - Coke to start vs FSC Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 pm|| |
Posted by Tom Gage (The Detroit News) on Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Quick Hits Sunday - Coke to start
Sunny and 58 in Lakeland at 10 a.m.
1. Florida Southern game on Tuesday: The Tigers will pitch (in this order) Phil Coke, Eddie Bonine, Enrique Gonzalez, Cody Satterwhite and Joel Zumaya.
2. Wednesday in Dunedin against the Blue Jays, the actual exhibition opener: Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, Armando Galarraga, Ryan Perry, Brad Thomas and Daniel Schlereth.
3. Thursday in Lakeland, also against the Blue Jays, and we aren't going to list every pitcher for every day the rest of the spring, but for the first three, why not? Rick Porcello, Max Scherzer, Dontrelle Willis, Alfredo Figaro, Phil Dumatrait, and Jose Valverde.
4. "Don't read anything into how it's matched up," said manager Jim Leyland, "because it has nothing to do with looking at guys who are vying for jobs. It's just the way it works out.
"So don't ask me if it's set up for a purpose. It has nothing to do with anything."
5. Justin Verlander? "I don't have him yet," said Leyland. "We've done only three days."
6. Dan Dickerson has arrived. You're going to have to wear a heavier jacket than that, Dan. Where do you think you are, Florida?
7. Tigers' PR guy Brian Britten's happy. He's a big Indiana basketball fan and found out that Hoosiers coach Tom Crean is following only 16 other twitter users, but the Tigers are among them.
Crean, of course, is from Mt. Pleasant, graduated from Central Michigan and coached at Michigan State. Just keeping track of his favorite baseball team, it appears.
8. Uh-oh, why is pitching prospect Jacob Turner being called into Leyland's office?
Because Leyland's, 18-year-old son Patrick is still here, and the two of them - Patrick and Jacob - have played against each other in a tournament.
"We faced his team, but I didn't face him," Patrick said.
Small world, though.
9. What sense does this make? The Tigers play the Toronto Blue Jays seven times this season - but also seven times this spring.
10. Nothing like starting the day with Brad Paisley's "Welcome to the Future" on the short drive to the ballpark. What do you think - his best song?
From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/tigersblog/index.php#ixzz0gsnRhQCN
“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”