DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Club donates time and financial support to local charities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:12 pm

11/21/2007 10:00 AM ET
Tigers pitch in to give back

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers couldn't follow through on their hope to bring a World Series championship to Detroit after reaching the Fall Classic a year earlier. However, they brought plenty of hope to the Motor City this year, not just on the field, but in the community.

Curtis Granderson has become known for his charitable and community efforts, from helping the needy to helping students. The young center fielder earned the Tigers nomination for Major League Baseball's Roberto Clemente Award in just his second full season in the big leagues. He served as the face of what has become a team-wide effort to give back from the Tigers, who make a point to get every player involved in some way or another during the season.

"There's really nothing special," Granderson explained during the season. "Whether it's a neighbor, a family member or a friend, just somehow to go ahead and help, especially those in need, that's what my parents have been doing since I've been little. And I've been able to watch them do that."

Granderson has established his own foundation aimed at motivating children in the educational, artistic and creative aspects of their lives. He has not only visited schools around the Detroit area to stress the importance of education, he founded and sponsored a contest in the Detroit Public School district to encourage kids to submit their thoughts of baseball through art, essay or music. As a reward, he hosted more than 70 students at a Tigers game this season.

He has worked as the spokesperson for a partnership to provide free reading materials to fourth- through eighth-graders in Michigan through the Detroit Tigers Foundation, Detroit Free Press Newspapers in Education and Michigan K.I.D.S., Inc. Not only has the program distributed materials to more than 106,000 students in 75 Michigan counties, but Granderson has made storytelling visits to area schools. Nate Robertson and Fernando Rodney were among other Tigers to make school visits during the year.

Third baseman Brandon Inge and his wife, Shani, became heavily involved in the community early in his career when he lived in nearby Ann Arbor. Once he signed his first long-term contract last offseason, he seized the opportunity to make a $100,000 donation to Mott Children's Hospital, helping fund the construction of an activity center in the pediatric cancer infusion clinic in the new hospital building.

The infusion unit is where many children spend long hours for chemotherapy treatments. The activity center will allow the kids and their families to do arts and crafts, play computer games and celebrate birthdays. Later, the Inges held a contest among kids in the hospital to help name the center.

"I'm in that situation now where you can give back," Inge said last spring, "so you feel obligated to do something. We can help out families and children that are in need."

Inge made several visits to the hospital during the season. He's also actively involved in the Tigers Dreams Come True program. Likewise, closer Todd Jones and second baseman Placido Polanco visited young patients and their families at Detroit area hospitals, including Children's Hospital of Detroit. Jones also supports Special Olympics of Michigan through the Fielding Dreams program.

Like Inge, American League batting champ Magglio Ordonez gives a portion of his contract for worthy causes. He makes an annual $100,000 donation to the Detroit Tigers Foundation for grants to Latin American students in the area to encourage further education. The money also goes to refurbishing youth baseball fields in southwest Detroit.

Catcher Vance Wilson was also heavily involved in programs during the season. He took part in the team's Boots n' Baseball party, which welcomed young cancer patients and their families to the park in conjunction with the American Cancer Society. He also helped the Tigers welcome 300 foster kids and families to the park as part of the Child Welfare League of America. Fellow catcher Ivan Rodriguez was a frequent visitor for young cancer patients during their trips to the ballpark.

The Tigers did their part to encourage donations from the community as spokesmen for various programs. Jones and Gary Sheffield helped raise awareness for Cornerstone Schools' ticket fundraising program during the summer. Justin Verlander took to the airwaves to help the American Red Cross in its Home Team campaign, raising money for vital local services.

Even head athletic trainer Kevin Rand and his staff donated their time and efforts during the season. Rand coordinates the Tigers' effort to promote skin cancer awareness and prevention through Play Smart When It Comes to the Sun. He also takes part in MLB's Promoting a Lifetime of Activity for Youth, hosting kids from the American Diabetes Association and other groups at the ballpark in an initiative to educate youth on nutrition, injury prevention and fitness programs.

Beyond the individual efforts were team initiatives. Rodney, Jason Grilli, Macay McBride, Mike Rabelo and Ryan Raburn were among those taking part in the team's Gloves for Kids program, signing autographs in exchange for new and lightly used baseball equipment such as gloves, cleats, bats, balls and shin guards to donate to youth leagues and organizations. Carlos Guillen and Andrew Miller served as celebrity baristas at local Starbucks locations on one day during the summer to help raise money for the Detroit Tigers Foundation.

Rodriguez, Ordonez, Guillen, Polanco and Joel Zumaya each purchased 50 tickets for underprivileged children to a attend a game during the Fiesta Tigres celebration.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Our guys are AWESOME...
so they spend time in strip clubs--so what?!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Our guys are AWESOME...
so they spend time in strip clubs--so what?!?

Maybe awesome on the field, but some have scumbag morals when they try to be "Heros" to the kids and then be so public with their lack of control in other areas. Yes they are human, but it sure makes it harder for parents to raise kids when they say "well Granderson sees nothing wrong with strip clubs"
Perturbed

I appreciate the other players who have done so much for the Detroit area!
To them I say, good job! Yay2

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:30 pm

I don't think going to strip clubs makes Granderson a guy with "scumbag" morals (he IS single). Personally, I wouldn't endorse it....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:31 pm

If the MARRIED guys are going....THAT'S different!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:41 pm

You get what I am saying then! As to the married players, it has caused families to break up. Our tiger heros of the past were just the same, they just knew to keep their mouths shut about it.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:42 pm

take John F. Kennedy...he messed around aplenty, but the media knew to keep mum about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:49 pm

And people looked up to him.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:00 pm

It's a rough area. In my original comment, I must apologize for sounding facetious. On the one side, they think it is harmless, but on the other, they forget at times they are on pedestals (we do put them there, folks) and their every move is being scrutinized. My feeling is they should never go, of course, but it's a free country. They just need to realize everyone is watching them...all the time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:07 pm

Kennedy and Clinton pretty much ruled with and by the same principles. As far as we've come as a nation, we've a LONG way to go.

How can we forgive one and not the other?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Is it because Monica Lewinsky was NO Marilyn Monroe??

Maybe Clinton would be forgiven if she was more popular, or pretty?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:46 pm

I for one will never vote for Billery, She may be running but I could not stand to see either one of them stealing from the White house again.

They had to bring truckloads of stuff back that was owned by the citizens of the USA. And that cute little prank of taking all the W keys from the computers cost us all a lot of money to fix, they should have been billed for the damage.

It scares me how many women said they will vote for that communist,
just because she is a woman. I have too much respect for this country
and want a person who is loyal to America representing it.

And no, I am not a Bush person.

I am proud of the players in this article who are doing charity from their hearts.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 pm

Excellent post and your words show wisdom!!

.....as always.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:49 pm

I am ANYTHING but a Bush supporter.

Do the words, "No Child Left Behind" mean anything to you?

tiger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 pm

Yep, good idea gone bad!

Same with this mexican mess, what does the Mexican govt have on him for him to ignore the law being broken, if it was one of us with forged soc. sec. cards we would be in jail for identity theft.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:01 pm

Likely a lame effort to repair an irreplably damaged foreign view of him!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:01 pm

He is a bully, plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:05 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
It's a rough area. In my original comment, I must apologize for sounding facetious. On the one side, they think it is harmless, but on the other, they forget at times they are on pedestals (we do put them there, folks) and their every move is being scrutinized. My feeling is they should never go, of course, but it's a free country. They just need to realize everyone is watching them...all the time...

Well said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:06 pm

He has Chaney for that, I feel he has really corrupted the govt. As you can probably tell, I am an independant, was Rep. in principal, but totally feel they have left their platform, as have most of the Dems.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 pm

Politics has become so corrupt, it isn't even "pioitics" anymore....it's posturing.

The whole Government angle pretty much sickens me anymore!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:10 pm

True, very true.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:11 pm

I appreciate you listening to my rants here. I don't usually like to talk Politics because I end up "foaming at the mouth".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:15 pm

Me too. Baseball takes my mind off of it.
maggs

Verlander no-no

Leland

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:16 pm

Don't it though?? high 5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:18 pm

Sat. I should have the Detroit 3 WS DVD here! Can't wait to watch it, mostly the 68 WS!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Gee, you really know how to buckle a guys knees, don't you??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Do you have that dvd?

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:43 pm

.....no :'(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Want it? A copy that is?

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 am

You KNOW I do!!

What do I have to do to get one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club donates time and financial support to local charities   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next