DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Miller relishes new opportunity to star

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:09 pm

From: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071206&content_id=2320692&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

12/06/2007 8:27 PM ET
Starter will probably have full-time spot in Marlins rotation

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- For one day, Andrew Miller was truly in baseball limbo.

As he pulled into the Tigers' Spring Training complex in Lakeland, Fla., on Wednesday morning to begin his usual offseason workout routine, his situation was clearly unusual. If the looks from other players didn't tell it, the questions did.

Andrew Miller was going to work, but he didn't really know for whom he was working. He had heard rumors about the deal the night before, and he waited for something official. But because the teams were still going over injury reports and the deal wasn't official, the Tigers couldn't contact him.

"I was kind of guessing," Miller said. "Is it real, or is it just speculation? How valuable is this information that people are using. But then kind of by the end of the night, it sounded like the deal had been finished. It's just one of those things where I kind of had to wait and see. There was nothing I could do about it."

Neither could Mike Rabelo down the highway in Tampa, or Cameron Maybin at home in North Carolina, or the three other prospects mentioned in the deal. Miller's agents couldn't do much, either. All they were told on Tuesday night from team officials was that nothing was official yet.

"I went and worked out in the morning," Miller said. "I didn't have any calls. Nothing was official. The last thing I want to do is not show up because of speculation. I have a job to do. Just kind of working."

He was long since gone when he realized he was gone for good, traded along with five other players by the Tigers to the Florida Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis deal. It was the type of thing he had seen other players go through in his short time in the big leagues, but he couldn't have figured it would happen to him.

He was the prized pitching prospect, the first-round pick in which the Tigers had invested a Major League contract. But he also knew it was a business.
"It seems kind of a weird situation when people get traded," Miller said by phone Thursday evening from his home in Gainesville, Fla. "Guys were traded from the Tigers when I was there. The way guys reacted around me, it was kind of a congratulations, kind of like I'm not going to see you around anymore, just kind of weird. New opportunities."

That's the way Miller is looking at this deal. He has no hard feelings about how everything happened, he said. He's simply looking forward to a new opportunity, one that's almost the complete opposite of what he faced in Detroit.

With the Tigers, Miller was on the outside looking in. Though the team had its fifth spot open for a Spring Training competition with Miller and others, it was far from a guarantee that he would win it. If anything, the sentiment in Tigers circles was that he needed more seasoning, that a few more starts in the Minors wouldn't hurt to begin the season. Miller accepted it, but he was going to battle.

He still has a battle on his hands, but his odds look a lot better now. Not only could Miller make Florida's rotation, he could conceivably be in the middle of it. With Willis and Cabrera gone, Miller is currently the team's highest-paid player.

"In Detroit, obviously, I would've been in the fight of my life to try to pitch on the big league club next year," Miller said. "Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it appears the Marlins might have a spot for me a little sooner.

"It's a great opportunity for me. You never know what's going to happen. It's one of those situations where I've got to look at the positives."

That's how his mind works. He stayed relatively positive in August when the Tigers pulled him out of their rotation for the stretch run and sent him to the instructional league to work on his mechanics.

He's just over a year out of college, and he was in the thick of the mix for a team that was fighting for a second consecutive playoff appearance.

Those playoff hopes are likely gone. But his time to stick in the big leagues might well be now. Given that, he has no hard feelings.

"The Tigers gave me plenty of opportunities," Miller said. "The chance for me to come and pitch for a playoff contending team my first year out of college is an amazing opportunity. I made two starts in Double-A before they gave me an opportunity to make a spot start in the big leagues. They treated me extremely well. They were always very easy to deal with. The Tigers did all that they could for me.

"It's not that the Tigers don't think anything of me. They got outstanding players for me and the others. The way for me to look at it is the Marlins think pretty highly for me and for us to be part of their futures to give up those two players."

And he'll do so relatively close to home. It's not next door, but the five-hour drive down Florida's Turnpike from Gainesville to Miami should allow his family to see more of his games. And with a full-time spot in the rotation possible, he'll have a chance to pitch on a regular schedule if he makes the club.

It's not a bad position to be in. He certainly isn't going to complain, and he's no longer nervous. But with Lakeland and Detroit no longer in his plans, he isn't going to look back.

"That's the only way I can think of it," he said. "I can't dwell on the negatives. Yeah, I met a lot of friends in the Detroit organization. The Tigers treated me really well. I loved playing for [manager Jim] Leyland and Chuck [Hernandez] and Lloyd [McClendon]. They treated me really well. But at the same time, if I think about that, my mind's not in the right place.

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen. It's just an opportunity to pitch at the top level right now."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola

Last edited by on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:16 pm

Thank you so much for posting this Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 pm

SoulRat wrote:

Maybe it's fake, too.... whistle

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm glad he sees it as a positive opportunity to be a starter! He also now realizes his value and that with the Tigers, he had no guarentee to be on the starting staff.

I knew you wanted to know how he was doing with the situation, so when I saw the article I hurried to get it posted.

Big hug Hug

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 pm

gogetemtigers wrote:
I'm glad he sees it as a positive opportunity to be a starter! He also now realizes his value and that with the Tigers, he had no guarentee to be on the starting staff.

I knew you wanted to know how he was doing with the situation, so when I saw the article I hurried to get it posted.

Big hug Hug

You could have posted a fake article like me...that's more fun lol!

Being a nice guy I said in the very next post that it was fake though... whistle

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Somehow, I'm seeing more credibility here... Rolling Eyes LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 pm

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

It's real, go to the following to see:
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071206&content_id=2320692&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 pm

gogetemtigers wrote:

Big hug Hug

I've been searching and searching for his comments on this, thank you VERY much!

I feel MUCH better now after reading this. Mostly because he realizes what he is worth and that he's being positive. Better than that beaten down boy we saw at the end of the season last year.

Thank you! Big hug Now maybe I can deal with this like a grown up and be happy for the Tigers LMAO Yay2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 pm

We have a lot to be happy about! Nod

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 pm

gogetemtigers wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071206&content_id=2320692&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

I know, I was just trying to tease SoulRat some more. It's so easy!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:33 pm

gogetemtigers wrote:
We have a lot to be happy about! Nod

I know we do... but it's been hard to be happy and dance... I'll be buying mlb.tv though LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:33 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gogetemtigers wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

I know, I was just trying to tease SoulRat some more. It's so easy!

Shut Up The real Miller has spoken!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Tell you what, the day Verlander is no longer a Tiger (it'll happen someday - trade, free agency, death, retirement, etc.) you can tease me all you want.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:36 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Tell you what, the day Verlander is no longer a Tiger (it'll happen someday - trade, free agency, death, retirement, etc.) you can tease me all you want.

That could take 15 years! Or 1. But it's probably something in between! LMAO

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 pm

Oh please God, that won't happen! I knew this was coming, I tried to be prepared. I was NOT prepared for that fake Miller interview, you got me good on that one lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 pm

I still wonder how Rabello is taking the trade. I know they plan on using Maybin right away, if he shines in spring trainng.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:38 pm

It could take more! He's a Tiger for life! He's 24 now, he can pitch another 20 years at 15 wins a season and win 350 games for us (including the ones he has)!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:39 pm

I want to know too. I was reading on their website that he may be their starting catcher and they plan for him to start opening day, but it's a bit soon to be saying things like that isn't it? Shit as of Monday I thought Miller was untouchable. Goes to show what I know :shrug:

I know mrsrabelo is very interested in what Rabelo has to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 pm

SoulRat wrote:

I know! I thought he was still in the Dominican confused but they said he was driving on the highway... scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

I know! I thought he was still in the Dominican confused but they said he was driving on the highway... scratch

Give that man a cell phone! We want to know what he's thinking dammit!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 pm

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Can you hear me now? :haha:

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 am

LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 am

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

You know I would, but I have no way to contact him Frown .....
Back to top Go down
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 am

Well damn... Frown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:41 am

I am also interested in what Rabelo has to say!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Female

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 am

Me too! And Maybin.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:42 pm

I want to hear from Cabrera.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:18 pm

I want to here what that one guy has to say - not Maybin, Miller, Rabelo, De la Cruz, or Trahern, but rather the other guy whose name I have no recollection.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:44 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I want to here what that one guy has to say - not Maybin, Miller, Rabelo, De la Cruz, or Trahern, but rather the other guy whose name I have no recollection.

Brandonhop? (Or something like that?)

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:52 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Brandonhop? (Or something like that?)

Yeah, that guy!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miller relishes new opportunity to star   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next