DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 pm

12/07/2007 4:25 PM ET
With future in flux, Inge may leave Tigers

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- If there was any lingering doubt regarding Brandon Inge's future with the Tigers, it was likely erased on Friday. The team's incumbent third baseman, now unseated with this week's trade for Miguel Cabrera, told team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski that he would prefer to start as a third baseman somewhere else rather than be a reserve or utility player in Detroit.

Given the Tigers' situation, it essentially amounts to requesting a trade, or at least agreeing to one. It's not really a trade demand because the Tigers were already exploring that option.

Dombrowski told WXYT-AM 1270 Friday afternoon that he spoke with Inge by phone earlier in the day. After discussing the team's situation and where he fits in, Inge discussed his preference with Dombrowski.

"He very much loves it here and has very mixed emotions," Dombrowski later told MLB.com by phone. "We think the world of him also, but with the acquisition of Cabrera, we don't have that role for him [at third base]. His desire would be to go somewhere and have an opportunity to play at third base."

Dombrowski said he told Inge that they would try to work something out. The Tigers have been gauging interest from other teams on Inge since their deal with the Marlins became official on Wednesday. While finding a team for him shouldn't be difficult, his contract presents an obstacle. He has three years and $19.1 million remaining on a contract he signed a year ago that was supposed to make him the Tigers' third baseman of the foreseeable future.

The opportunity to acquire a star young slugger in Cabrera obviously changed those plans. Both manager Jim Leyland and Dombrowski said they see Cabrera as a third baseman with a strong arm and soft hands and whose range should improve if he continues to lose weight this offseason.
Though the 30-year-old Inge is athletic enough to play just about any position except shortstop, any chance of him or Cabrera starting in left field seemed remote, even before Friday. New Tiger Jacque Jones is expected to do no less than split the playing time there, providing the Tigers lineup with a much-needed left-handed bat. Marcus Thames has a chance to platoon with Jones if the Tigers keep him, while utilityman Ryan Raburn could earn some starts.

Friday was the first time the club had talked with Inge since the trade. "We needed to sit down and regroup," Dombrowski said. "I wanted to be in a spot where I could sit down and talk to him and not be interrupted." Phone messages left with Inge this week by MLB.com have not been returned.

Dombrowski added that Inge was not angry over the situation when he talked with him.

"He was super when I talked to him on the phone," Dombrowski said. "He's a tremendous person. He didn't act angry with me, but I'm sure there's a part of him with mixed emotion."

Assuming the Tigers trade him -- the Giants appear to be one early possibility, among others -- it would end Inge's time in the only organization he has known as a pro. For now, he is the longest-running current Tiger, having made his Major League debut in 2001 and playing in Detroit every year since. He has played for four different Tigers managers and is one of just a handful of players still left from the 119-loss team of 2003. That longevity as well as his personality have made him a strong clubhouse presence on a team with many veterans and more than a couple star players. He even made his offseason home in nearby Ann Arbor for the early part of his career.

Closer Todd Jones was a member of the Tigers before Inge, but he played elsewhere from 2001-05.

Aside from a couple trips to Toledo in 2002 and '03, the only moving Inge has done has been between positions rather than organizations. He was Detroit's starting catcher until Ivan Rodriguez arrived in 2004, making Inge a utility player. By the end of the '04 season, he was starting at third, a spot he had held ever since.

That makes this the second time a potential Hall of Fame player has unseated Inge from a starting job. This time, it will likely take him out of the organization.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Lo won't like this at all. Hopefully we can get relief help or something for him.

Coming Soon: A better signature!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:07 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Lo won't like this at all. Hopefully we can get relief help or something for him.

I know, I was afraid to post this news because of Lo. Sorry Lo Hug

Inge must be hurting, but to have the attitude that he WOULD NOT be a super-sub I'm sure did not help his case to stay in Detroit!

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Of course what the Tigers could do would be to say you have to be a utility player. If he refuses they don't have to pay him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:14 pm

Maybe he can go to the Marlins too, they are hurting for a 3rd baseman right now :shrug:

Dammit... will this end? Ever? Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:20 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Maybe he can go to the Marlins too, they are hurting for a 3rd baseman right now :shrug:

Dammit... will this end? Ever? Neutral

No he can't. Inge makes too much money. The best way for Loria to line his pockets is to put the cheapest team money can buy out there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Yeah true, but if the Tigers unload Inge, how much of his salary do they (the Tigers) have to pay? I mentioned elsewhere I'm not sure how that works. Educate me cat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:24 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Yeah true, but if the Tigers unload Inge, how much of his salary do they (the Tigers) have to pay? I mentioned elsewhere I'm not sure how that works. Educate me cat!

If the Tigers trade him they pay $0 unless the trade stipulates that the Tigers have to pay $X (which can be any amount). If the Tigers flat out release him they'd still have to pay him everything although they could likely reach a buyout for less than his full contract and someone else could pick him up and sign a new deal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:26 pm

ahhh I see... thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:27 pm

SoulRat wrote:
ahhh I see... thanks!

You are Welcome

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:09 am

Inge has ALWAYS been best suited for the role of SUB....he was our 3rd baseman because there were no better options before.

He should be GRATEFUL to have a job in MLB!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:53 am

Bye Bye Inge! Hello Updating my Profile!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am

How come Inge can't be a back up catcher anymore?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:55 am

Not like Pudge catches 162 games and who knows how healthy Wilson will be next season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:09 am

gs78 wrote:

Because Inge wants nothing to do with any backup situations!

He must be
a starting player, or else!

Last year they approached him about
catching, he said NO! Well, if you can't work with the club as a TEAM
player, good riddens.

I do hope he finds a good team to play for, but with his batting ave. last year, the Tigers will have to work hard to trade him. (hopefully for some bullpen staff)

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:12 am

I agree with you! Like Dwayne " The Rock" Johnson used to say when he was a WWE wrestler, "Know Your Role And Shut Your Mouth"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:58 pm

.....and get a hellalot better in a hurry.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lo_x15
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR West Michigan WhitecapDTF1 ADMINISTRATOR West Michigan Whitecap

Female
Number of posts : 470
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : *Brandon Inge*, Justin Verlander, Curtis Granderson, Placido Polanco

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:46 pm

gogetemtigers wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Because Inge wants nothing to do with any backup situations!

He must be
a starting player, or else!

Last year they approached him about
catching, he said NO! Well, if you can't work with the club as a TEAM
player, good riddens.

I do hope he finds a good team to play for, but with his batting ave. last year, the Tigers will have to work hard to trade him. (hopefully for some bullpen staff)

He told them that he wouldn't want to catch BUT if it came to a point where they absolutely needed someone he totally would do it.

LO! (:

"You can give your all. That's all you can do. Play as hard as you can and represent the team in the best manner that you can. If you win, you win. If you don't, well, you can sleep well, because you left it all out there."

- Brandon♥Inge -
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:18 pm

That's good to hear. I would hope that Brandon would put playing on a championship caliber team ahead of the need to start at 3B!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:29 am

Inge could be of great help to the tigers as super-sub, we really will be needing a catcher next year!

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 pm

If he would just get his head out of his butt......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm

They said he was miffed, just like this, when we got Pudge to replace him as catcher.

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:15 pm

He ACTUALLY had the nerve to say he thought he was BETTER defensively than Pudge..... Smack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:15 pm

tigersaint wrote:
He ACTUALLY had the nerve to say he thought he was BETTER defensively than Pudge..... Smack

That right there should have been enough to have him investigated for substance abuse! Where is HIS name in all the mudslinging? lol2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:13 pm

He was the Lifelong Tiger so he got a bit of a pass. Especially when he agreed to move to 3B!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Third baseman wants change of scenery after Cabrera trade   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1