DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:47 pm

No beating around the bush, either! whistle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Zilch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
No beating around the bush, either! whistle

Smack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Thud
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Tigers begin contract negotiations with Willis

December 19, 2007

By JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Tigers have begun negotiations with left-hander Dontrelle Willis on a long-term contract, according to one person with knowledge of the discussions.

The deal would likely be for three or four years.

The motivation for Willis, who arrived in a blockbuster trade with the Florida Marlins two weeks ago, is clear: He would receive a substantial sum of guaranteed money – likely between $25 million and $30 million in the three-year scenario – while preserving the right to become a free agent before his 30th birthday.

Meanwhile, Detroit president/general manager Dave Dombrowski would build some long-term security into his starting rotation. Without an extension, Willis would be one of three Tigers starters to enter free agency in 2009 or earlier. Kenny Rogers is unsigned beyond next season, while Willis and Nate Robertson are on track to be eligible after 2009.

Willis, 25, is believed to be part of the Tigers’ future plans, especially after some of the organization’s best young starting pitchers – Jair Jurrjens (to Atlanta), Andrew Miller (to Florida), and Dallas Trahern (to Florida) – were traded away this off-season.

A deal would be one strong indication that club officials believe Willis’ performance for the Marlins last year – 10-15 with a career-high 5.17 ERA – was an anomaly.

Willis is 68-54 with a 3.78 ERA in 162 career starts. He finished second in voting for the National League Cy Young Award after a 2005 season in which he went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:27 pm

It's about time. I think he will be a great addition to the Tigers. Hopefully there are some incentives to perform well.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:35 am

Incentives would be ideal in a contract with Willis. I like the idea of signing him now. If he has the kind of season I'm expecting him to have, it would be tougher to sign him long term at a reasonable amount.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:44 am

such a business!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:51 am

I remember when it was just a game..... Sigh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:54 am

a la Field of Dreams....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 am

If you build it.....

THE FANS WILL PAY FOR IT!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:03 pm

with BEER!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Source: Willis agrees to 3-year extension worth $29 million with Tigers

Pitcher Dontrelle Willis has reached an agreement in principle on a three-year, $29 million contract extension with the Detroit Tigers, a source told ESPN.com.

The deal includes incentives that could push the total value to more than $30 million, the source said. An announcement was expected after Willis took a physical exam Thursday in Detroit.

The Tigers acquired Willis and star third baseman Miguel Cabrera from the Florida Marlins in an eight-player trade at the winter meetings two weeks ago in Nashville. Willis will join a Detroit rotation that also includes Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson and Kenny Rogers.

Willis, 25, has a 68-54 record an a 3.78 ERA in parts of five seasons with the Marlins. He went 10-15 with a 5.17 ERA last season.

Willis earned a base salary of $6.45 million for the Marlins last year. He would have been eligible for free agency after the 2009 season, but is now locked up through 2010.

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:18 pm

I wanna see naked news Frown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Southpaw sticking around through 2010 for $29 million   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:47 am

12/20/2007 7:46 PM ET

Tigers, Willis agree to extension

Southpaw sticking around through 2010 for $29 million

By Justice B. Hill / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Dave Dombrowski understood the risk, but with the dollars that quality pitchers are earning these days, the Tigers general manager called signing left-hander Dontrelle Willis to a three-year extension worth $29 million on Thursday a risk worth taking.

The deal includes a bonus for as much as $500,000 if the 25-year-old Willis, who's coming off a 10-15 season with a career-high 5.17 ERA, wins the Cy Young Award.

But for Dombrowski and the Tigers, signing Willis was less about the bonus and awards, and more about agreeing to terms with a pitcher who had expressed an interest in wearing the team's Olde English D long term.

"This is an opportunity I never could've dreamt of," Willis said. "For me and my family, this is truly a blessing."

His contract takes Willis, whom the Tigers picked up in an eight-player trade earlier this month with the Florida Marlins, through his arbitration years. If he stays healthy and pitches as well as he's done through most of his career, he'll be eligible for free agency after the 2010 season, said Matt Selnick, Willis' agent.

"The three-year deal was something we were both comfortable with," Selnick said. "The issue became: what was the dollar amount going to be?"

Selnick stressed that Willis wanted the security of a longer-term deal. He also wanted to end the constant rumors about his being traded, rumors that had dogged Willis for the past couple of seasons in Miami.

"He was consistent on getting a deal done when he came here," Selnick said. "It's a client's choice."

The framework for the deal was hammered out over the past week, which the two sides agreed to Wednesday. It became final after Willis went through a physical. The Tigers announced the deal with a press conference at Comerica Park.

Signing Willis to such a deal shows that the Tigers believe he's a complement to the other young pitchers on their staff. He will join Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson, as well as veteran warhorse Kenny Rogers, in filling out manager Jim Leyland's rotation next season.

"They've shown a lot of love to take a chance and even offer me a deal," Willis said. "It shows how much respect they have for me and my abilities.
"So, again, I'm gonna do everything I can to not only win a championship but uphold this team and make them proud."

With Willis signed, Dombrowski can set his sights on All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera, another piece in the trade with the Marlins.

Justice Hill is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:10 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I wanna see naked news Frown

It's quite the interesting newscast...to say the least. It's been years since I've watched it...but it was a real suprise the 1st time I saw it. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:13 pm

That is an ASSWIPE avatar...... fingers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:18 pm

tigersaint wrote:
That is an ASSWIPE avatar...... fingers

LMAO LMAO LMAO They're just buckeyes......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 pm

Guys! guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Don't look at me.....Saint started it! LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:39 pm

I feel you guys are my brothers, sparring away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Who's sparring? Everyone KNOWS it's an ASSWIPE avatar!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:30 pm

:haha: I missed you guys LMAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:27 pm

I do know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Dont worry, he is just stating the obvious, Michigan will lick Ohios#1TigerFan's Buckeye Nuts next year! You can take his avatar two ways! "Michigan CAN lick my nuts!" MSU just may do it next year also. Remember, someone did do it this year!

LMAO LMAO Nod Nod

–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:56 am

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO thumbs up As much as I love my Tigers and the state of Michigan (in general)...when it comes to the OSU-U of M rivalry....I'm all Buckeye!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:07 am

GO BLUE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:29 pm

Willis on WDFN: 5.71 ERA? I'll be alright... (click for audio)

Bring it on, says Dontrelle Willis. The Tigers' newest starting pitcher tells WDFN-AM Detroit that he's ready to get to spring training because he's excited about joining Detroit, and thinks the world of his new teammates as well as Jim Leyland.

"Right when I heard the trade," he said, "I thought 'that's a team I want to be a part of.' This is already a contender-type team, where basically, the only thing stopping them from doing the same thing they did the year before was injuries."

For those who are worried about Willis' sub-par numbers last year, the lefty said he's got no doubt that he'll be improving those numbers with his new team.

"We struggled as a team (last year), and I pitched through some injuries," he said. "But I'm good now so I'm ready to get out there and shake things up and have fun."

bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 pm

OSU Blows Wolverine Balls!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term   

Back to top Go down

New Tigers pitcher Dontrelle Willis wants to sign long-term
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next