DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski   Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 am

December 15, 2007
BY JON PAUL MOROSI
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

George Mitchell's lengthy report on steroid use in baseball described how one Tigers employee discovered a toiletry kit in the locker room at the end of the 2004 season. The bag contained syringes and vials, which the employee determined to be anabolic steroids.

The incident, however, was not reported at the time. The employee told Mitchell's investigators that he could not recall who owned the bag.

Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers' president and general manager, said he was not aware of the incident until after the report's release Thursday.

"I didn't see it until yesterday," Dombrowski said Friday.

If Dombrowski were to have had prior knowledge, he said he would have notified the commissioner's office.

In fact, he did precisely that in a similar situation seven years ago. Dombrowski was general manager of the Florida Marlins in 2000, when, according to the Mitchell Report, a clubhouse attendant discovered a bag containing two dozen syringes and six vials of injectable steroids in the locker of Marlins pitcher Ricky Bones.

When the incident was brought to Dombrowski's attention, he immediately notified the commissioner's office. Bones submitted a urine sample several months later but never learned the results, the report said.

Dombrowski said he did not know which Tigers employee discovered the toiletry kit in 2004, but added, "If somebody had approached me, I would have followed the same procedure I did with Ricky Bones."

The toiletry kit episode may be puzzling, but it does not appear to be grounds for any disciplinary action against the team. Only one current Tiger, designated hitter Gary Sheffield, was cited in the report, and Mitchell did not present any new or revelatory evidence against him.

As a result, the report probably will not have a profound impact on the Tigers -- on or off the field. More than three million fans came to Comerica Park this year. If the team contends again, as expected, there is every reason to anticipate a similar turnout in 2008.

"You never want to downplay a situation like this," Dombrowski said. "It's an important issue that's being addressed.

"But baseball and the Tigers are very popular, and I think people will come out to see us play."

Tigers catcher Vance Wilson said Friday that the report was "thorough" and "did a lot of great things," but said those players who were named should have had the opportunity to refute specific allegations before they became public.

(Mitchell lacked subpoena power, and virtually none of the active players cooperated with the investigation.)

"I'll be the first one to tell you that I want the game cleaned up, because guys like me have been affected by guys who took steroids in front of them," Wilson said. "But it's very unfair that they would release a report like that -- with that many names, based on hearsay -- without giving those players the opportunity to defend themselves.

"Even if (only) a handful of those guys are innocent, their reputations are smashed for the rest of their lives."

Tigers reliever Jason Grilli suggested that the public should not narrow its focus to which names appeared in the report.

"There could have been a gazillion names in there -- I'm sure of that," Grilli said. "The Mitchell Report backed up the theory that it was rampant. I chose not to do it. That's all I can say.

"There are heroes and villains in sports, and it makes for good writing for you guys. If you took steroids, it doesn't make you a bad person. It's just a question of ethics and what you're comfortable with."

INTEREST IN OLIVO: The Tigers, seeking catching depth, contacted the agent for Miguel Olivo after he did not receive a contract offer from the Florida Marlins this week. An offer would have meant he could go to arbitration.

"I've had conversations with five or six teams, and the Tigers were one of them," Martin Arburua said Friday. "We're still very early in the process. "Olivo, 29, batted .237 with 16 home runs and 60 RBIs this season, when
he was the Marlins' starting catcher. He allowed 16 passed balls -- tied for the most in baseball -- but has a strong arm.

Olivo made a $2-million base salary this year, plus $25,000 for appearing in more than 120 games.

He has spent time in five organizations and may be more attractive to the Tigers in 2009 than in 2008. The Tigers' two major league catchers, Wilson and Pudge Rodriguez, will be eligible for free agency after 2008.

The Tigers lost their projected starter at Triple-A Toledo when Mike Rabelo was included in the eight-player trade with Florida last week.

Contact JON PAUL MOROSI at 313-223-4097 or jmorosi@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski   Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Quote :
If Dombrowski were to have had prior knowledge, he said he would have notified the commissioner's office.

In fact, he did precisely that in a similar situation seven years ago. Dombrowski was general manager of the Florida Marlins in 2000, when, according to the Mitchell Report, a clubhouse attendant discovered a bag containing two dozen syringes and six vials of injectable steroids in the locker of Marlins pitcher Ricky Bones.

When the incident was brought to Dombrowski's attention, he immediately notified the commissioner's office. Bones submitted a urine sample several months later but never learned the results, the report said.

Dombrowski said he did not know which Tigers employee discovered the toiletry kit in 2004, but added, "If somebody had approached me, I would have followed the same procedure I did with Ricky Bones."

The toiletry kit episode may be puzzling, but it does not appear to be grounds for any disciplinary action against the team. Only one current Tiger, designated hitter Gary Sheffield, was cited in the report, and Mitchell did not present any new or revelatory evidence against him.

I believe DD did not know about this incident, but I bet he makes policy changes that require this type of info be brought to his attention right away.

“It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable.”    
–Joe Garagiola
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski   Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:23 am

Even if this incident didn't happen, you know that policy changes are a given!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski   Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:24 am

Thanks for the post
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski   Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:18 am

I would be very surprised if DD did NOT know about something that happened in his locker room!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steroids in Comerica: It's news to Dombrowski   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1